Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fianna Gwael.

• 03-09-2012 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

What is it with RTE newsreaders making up their own pronunciations of words? Where the f uck did the word gwael come from? When they're talking about football do they call it gwaelic football, no off course they f uck ing don't! No matter what dialect or accent they may be using the word Gael (gale) will never have a w in it. Tossers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Finn-ants.

Die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

irish pronunciation understanding fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

are them the wans working for aaaar-t-e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Fine (as in Shine) Gale (as in Sale) round these parts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

arse drink feck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

efb wrote: »
    Fine (as in Shine) Gale (as in Sale) round these parts...
    Fucking (as in fucking) Arseholes (as in arseholes) round these parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Tis a fine gael, but tis no pool English

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Ah you'd miss Ann Doyle and her isssues. Typing that has made me rather emotional, I'll get some tisssues :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Bethan Kilfoyle.

You come from the race that invented the language. FFS learn how to speak it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

KKkitty wrote: »
    Ah you'd miss Ann Doyle and her isssues. Typing that has made me rather emotional, I'll get some tisssues :D

And the way she used to pronounce 'sexual' was weird too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

sexsual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

There there KKKitty, there there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Mickey H wrote: »

There there KKKitty, there there.
    Thanks, I'm ok now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Same reason they talk about the gord e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Same reason they talk about the gord e

Reason?? There isn't sense nor reason to it :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

And the way she used to pronounce 'sexual' was weird too.

Lol. First thing that came to my mind when reading this thread, was the way Simon Bates used to pronounce "secksual" in the warnings at the start to a video!

Feckin' creepy.

Time for one of Daddy's "special baths".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Thanks, I'm ok now :)

Good. :)
    Lol. First thing that came to my mind when reading this thread, was the way Simon Bates used to pronounce "secksual" in the warnings at the start to a video!

Feckin' creepy.

Time for one of Daddy's "special baths".

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Fine Troika. . .
    Noonan, Reilly, Hogan and Kenny. . .

Not enough room on the Trike.
    They'll have to get a quad. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

CJC999 wrote: »
    the word Gael (gale) will never have a w in it. Tossers.

Anagram for Feena Gayle. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trollin trollin trollin

Am i the only one to notice that Sharon ni Bheolain speaks in a low sex voice while reading the news now that she didn't have a few years ago.I not complaining though ;)

Campare these videos to see what i mean.There are better examples of it out there though but these are all i found under short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Dooon Layorah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

IM0 wrote: »
    irish pronunciation understanding fail

This, OP, this. Back to school with you.

Gaelic = English word, therefore English pronunciation. Fine & Gael = Irish words, therefore Irish pronunciations. It really shouldn't be *that* difficult to understand. Most educated Irish people get it - for instance, they pronounce Deirdre with the same 'ah' ending that is in Fine, Gráinne, Aoife, Portlaoise. And so on. It's correctly more like Fina Gwael, or using the phonetic alphabet ˈfʲɪnʲə ˈɡeːl̪ˠ.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Dooon Layorah.

Which is of course more accurate than Done Leery. See above rule for pronouncing 'e' ending words in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Seanchai wrote: »
    Which is of course more accurate than Done Leery. See above rule for pronouncing 'e' ending words in Irish.

But virtually no-one who live there, works there or regularly visits the place calls it Doon Layorah - they call it Dun Leary. That is its name in normal usage.

It'd be like them insisting on calling Dublin Baile Atha Cliath or maybe Dubh Linn. Pointless pedantry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dooon Layorah.

Kingstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I hate that gwael thing. No matter who tells me gwaeltacht is correct, I will never pronounce it with a w.

Do you think new presenters have to go on a pronunciation course when they join Rte?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

what I want to know is why has miriam o callaghan changed her name.

coupla years ago it was just plain old "Miriam"

now she's calling herself "MARY UM"

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Do you think new presenters have to go on a pronunciation course when they join Rte?

Hell no. Sure I bet they don't even need a junior cert...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

aye, RTE presenters are taught to say Irish words according to the pronunciation of the Irish letters hence why it is 'arrrr' t. e and not r.t.e because the acronym is for 3 Irish words not English ones.
    Simple as that, they're saying it the proper way :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dooon Layorah.

I have heard it pronounced like this from time to time (by just one or two) RTE presenters, but it sounds wrong.

the acronym is for 3 Irish words not English ones.

radio isn't an Irish word.

I know Raidió is, but the R is still pronounced the same isn't it?

aye, RTE presenters are taught to say Irish words according to the pronunciation of the Irish letters hence why it is 'arrrr' t. e and not r.t.e because the acronym is for 3 Irish words not English ones.

Some RTE newsreaders say it one way, and some the other, take Paul Reynolds for example who is a really good exponent of the exaggerated Orr.Tee.E sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

What is it with RTE newsreaders making up their own pronunciations of words? Where the f uck did the word gwael come from? When they're talking about football do they call it gwaelic football, no off course they f uck ing don't! No matter what dialect or accent they may be using the word Gael (gale) will never have a w in it. Tossers.

They also call PortLaoise "PORT-LEESHA". :mad::mad::mad:

I'd be more embarrassed at the people who call it PortLeesh. Serious lack of education going on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

are them the wans working for aaaar-t-e?

Have you seen the Dara O'Brien skit where he's pointing out that nobody in the UK understands him when he says the letter "orr"?

That's because it's pronounced "arr". Did you never watch Sesame St., or any programmes from outside Ireland????
    Simple as that, they're saying it the proper way

In English the letter is pronounced "arr".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's close to the correct pronunciation.

summerskin wrote: »
    That's because it's pronounced "arr". Did you never watch Sesame St., or any programmes from outside Ireland????

Or pirate of the caribbean?

LordSutch wrote: »
    I have heard it pronounced like this from time to time (by just one or two) RTE presenters, but it sounds wrong.

Of course it does to you, Lord Sutch. It's closer to the correct pronunciation of that Irish name in Irish. Why pronounce something correctly when you can pronounce it incorrectly - especially when it's an Irish word?

Lord Sutch engages in yet another "something English is better than something Irish" shocker on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Because that's the correct pronunciation.

I'm from Laois, I know that locals commonly call it "port leesh". But that doesnt change the fact that the name is correctly pronounced as gaeilge as "port leesh a"

But thats not how its usually referred to by Laois people. No, if RTE were to pander to your ilk we'd need "Tommy Gorman reporting from the town, where violence has erupted in "port laaysh" jail"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Seeing as we're been pedantic, it's fine, not fianna.

• Advertisement

Not pedantic enough!

I'm sure the OP knows that it is spelled "fine" but thinks that it is pronounced "fianna".
    "Fine" is an irish word, not pronounced like the english word of the same spelling (rhymes with shine) nor like the word Fianna ("feen-na", but it is close. Its pronounced "f-win-a"

Actually can I just solve the thread?

OP: I can't pronounce Irish
    Rabble: And its stupid language anyway, we should pronounce things the english way
    Rabble: No, we should just agree that the correct way is the way people speak, and around my way its XYZ, so thats the right way
    Rabble: Rabble rabble rabble
    Non-Idiot: But, look here, this accredited text books clearly says...
    Rabble: BURN THE WITCH!

Am i the only one to notice that Sharon ni Bheolain speaks in a low sex voice while reading the news now that she didn't have a few years ago.I not complaining though ;)

Campare these videos to see what i mean.There are better examples of it out there though but these are all i found under short notice.

Finally, after about two years somebody else has commented on this!

I think I started a thread about her fake husky voice many moons ago, but nobody else could hear it.

Of course it does to you, Lord Sutch. It's closer to the correct pronunciation of that Irish name in Irish. Why pronounce something correctly when you can pronounce it incorrectly - especially when it's an Irish word?

Lord Sutch engages in yet another "something English is better than something Irish" shocker on Boards.ie.

The thing is Seanchai, people are getting sick and tired of your rabid and unhealthy obsession with all things English/British even when they are not part of the narrative. Your latest portrayl being that because I say 'arr' instead of 'Orr' then I must be English, you are like a broken record Seanchai. Take the latest BAN handed out to you only yesterday for this kind of ranting > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80556051&postcount=43.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

no they aren't they call it R-T-E

e as in eee

but if you look that e has a fada over it and should be pronounced like the english letter 'a'

so if it was pronounced right it would sound like: R-T-A :pac:

also

its Fine (sounds like Feena or sheena with a f instead of the sh) gael, and Fianna (fi-an-na) fáil.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Your latest portreyal....[blah, blah, blah]

:rolleyes: None of this irrelevant, turgid post detracts from the fact that you are wrong about the indisputably (by educated people) correct pronunciation of Fine Gael, and other Irish words. At least try and stay on topic. Pronouncing Irish words correctly evidently does not sit well with your prejudices. In fairness to you, though, you don't seem to have much of an affinity with spelling or pronouncing English words correctly either, despite all your lauding of all things British here. It's that obscurantist mentality of rejecting knowledge generally and embracing ignorance. Before looking down on all things Irish, and giving lectures on correct pronunciations in that language, perhaps you could at least master the language you laud so much. Or is it easier for you to hate others than to put the work into being good at something like English/defining yourself positively?

Helpful hints:

1) Ditch your IE browser and start using Chrome or Firefox. That way you will have a spellchecker built into each post you make here. You will look more thoughtful and erudite than you are.

2) Learn how to link properly here. It's simple, and shows you at least put some work, yes work, into your ranting benighted posts.

Pronouncing Irish words correctly evidently does not sit well with your prejudices. In fairness to you, though, you don't seem to have much of an affinity with spelling or pronouncing English words correctly either, despite all your lauding of all things British here. It's that obscurantist mentality of rejecting knowledge generally and embracing ignorance. Before looking down on all things Irish, and giving lectures on correct pronunciations in that language, perhaps you could at least master the language you laud so much. Or is it easier for you to hate others than to put the work into being good at something like English/defining yourself positively?

That's it Seanchai, you are a lost cause, sinking deeper and deeper into your obsessive British/English/ Anti Irish mire . . . ad Nauseam.
    Remember that it was only yesterday that you were handed out a ban for this unhealthy obsession.

> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80556051&postcount=43.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/samantha-libreri/27/402/221

Its library! FFS RTE are trying to start their own version of the english language.. Man that paul reynolds is very bad. I know people in Kerry who actually thought he was English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Seeing as you're being pedantic, can I be pedantic?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

summerskin wrote: »
    Have you seen the Dara O'Brien skit where he's pointing out that nobody in the UK understands him when he says the letter "orr"?

In English the letter is pronounced "arr".

With two silent Rs?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement