Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fianna Gwael.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Seanchai wrote: »
    I'd be more embarrassed at the people who call it PortLeesh. Serious lack of education going on there.

Exactly. It's Maryborough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

B0jangles wrote: »
    But virtually no-one who live there, works there or regularly visits the place calls it Doon Layorah - they call it Dun Leary. That is its name in normal usage.

Educated people there do, however, pronounce Dún Laoghaire correctly. There's a correct way, and an incorrect way to pronounce Dún Laoghaire. It will be a sad day when educated people pronounce things the way the average ignoramus does simply because there are obviously more ignorami than educated people living in Dún Laoghaire.

PS: I note Lord Sutch, our resident British unionist hater of all things Irish, supports your post. Take it that the Royal British Legion, the British Empire, Orange Order and Her Majesty the Queen also approve. Then reflect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

summerskin wrote: »
    Have you seen the Dara O'Brien skit where he's pointing out that nobody in the UK understands him when he says the letter "orr"?

Since when did the former Fianna Fáil TD for Dublin North make skits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Educated people there do, however, pronounce Dún Laoghaire correctly. There's a correct way, and an incorrect way to pronounce Dún Laoghaire. It will be a sad day when educated people pronounce things the way the average ignoramus does simply because there are obviously more ignorami than educated people living in Dún Laoghaire.

PS: I note Lord Sutch, our resident British unionist hater of all things Irish, supports your post. Take it that the Royal British Legion, the British Empire, Orange Order and Her Majesty the Queen also approve. Then reflect.

FYI the correct plural of ignoramus is ignoramuses, "ignorami" is only used by the inadequately educated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

A British/Irish argument conducted in a language that is neither Irish or British? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As fas back as I can remember Fine Gael has been pronounced Finna Gale (in Dublin). I guess there are variations around the country though, but I never fail to smile when little Willie O'Dea of Fianna Fáil calls them Fine Gale (fine pronounced like a parking fine) with no accent on the word at all.

Poor old Seanchai, he's really cracking up now, bans and warnings all over the show, and he's still going at it, must be a British full moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I'm from Germany, nobody really expects me to speak Irish. So I just call them...(insert rude wort of your choice) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

It drives me nuts.

"Fine Gwale have been discussing the Gordee in the Doyle this afternoon..... Plastic Sheeting, ArrrTE news, Leinster house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

are them the wans working for aaaar-t-e?

This is Pirate Pete here on Sea Shanty FM...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

This, OP, this. Back to school with you.

Gaelic = English word, therefore English pronunciation. Fine & Gael = Irish words, therefore Irish pronunciations. It really shouldn't be *that* difficult to understand. Most educated Irish people get it - for instance, they pronounce Deirdre with the same 'ah' ending that is in Fine, Gráinne, Aoife, Portlaoise. And so on. It's correctly more like Fina Gwael, or using the phonetic alphabet ˈfʲɪnʲə ˈɡeːl̪ˠ.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY in Laois ever calls Portlaoise Portlaoise. Portlaoise used to be called Maryborough before we became the Free State. I have only ever heard on RTE people calling it like that with the added emphasis on the e at the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement