Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly tying.

Options
  • 03-09-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been fly fishing since my grandad taught me about 20 odd years ago, but I've never tied my own flies and now it's something I'd like to get into as a hobby and something that maybe someday I could pass down when I'm an old fart! In fact I know very little about fly selection and generally my fly box is full of small black ones or olive sedges so I'm hoping the whole process will expand my horizons and make me a better fisherman.

My problem is, I have absolutely no clue where to start when it comes to tying. Is there a catch all book that people could recommend on patterns and technique etc? or a place where people source their gear and equipment for tying. Also what kind of price are we talking about to get started>

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

The book would be the Flytiers Refference by ted leeson and jim schoolmeyer its about 100 euro .To get started re:materials etc depends wat you want to spend premier angling just out side nenagh has everything you would need and more :D and pat is great man to deal with and has great knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

No need for a book, there are step by step guides to tying everything on the internet

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sbs&action=display&thread=381 is brilliant and a lot of flies are on youtube, search for "Davie McPhail". He has great videos for tying loads of flies.

Pat Nolan is the best place I've found for materials too.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Thanks guys! I'm heading up the country in a few weeks so I'll pop into that place in Nenagh. Gonna dip into some youtube vids in the meantime!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

I would check out some of the local trout angling clubs, some run tying classes over the winter, also some night classes used to do them (check your local V.E.C,s) .It is possible to teach Yourself, But it is easier to learn from someone who can teach you the various materials and their use etc as well as tips. A local tyer will also know what flies work in Your area. One problem with starting is that it is cheaper to buy a tying kit instead of buying tools & materials separably, however most kits come from England and are aimed at people fishing Rainbow stocked lakes, the materials in them reflect this, so I would ask around local anglers for advice , someone may even offer to show you the basics, I cannot think of any books on tying but One book I would recommend you get (for patterns) after you start tying is ''Flies of Ireland' by Peter O'Reilly,one good thing for learners are the illustrations (and most of the dry patterns are tied without wings,easier to tye! ) . You will find ''flydressing'' a great hobby in itself and something to do in winter while you fret away the hour to the next season. best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭owelfisherman

theres plenty of books around.just buy materials as you go along.dont by 1 big load

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

If you have been fly fishing for twenty years, you probably know much more

than you think......about fly fishing.......

If your fly box is full of a small selection of flies ....it is probably because they

work for you......if they do work for you keep the fly selection small.....

whats the point in tying flies that dont work?...or probably dont work....

Best of luck with the fly tying....

.PS...no harm to copy flies you have , use them

as templates......also new shop bought flies can be purchased and they too used

as templates...( ie examples to be copied)....

Advertisement