Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Gaming PC, appreciate advice.

Options
  • 03-09-2012 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I recently had my CPU fail on me(it's a long story...), so I'm building up the guts of a new PC. At a minimum I need to replace my CPU, Motherboard and RAM. My previous Graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4850) was performing fine before the failure, so I'll be sticking with it for the time being, but will probably replace later as needed. My previous power supply is a Corsair Powersupply 520W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 4xSATA, SLI, WxHxL 150x86x150

I'm also thinking of supplementing my old 1 TB internal hard drive with an SSD.

In terms of overclocking, I'd be interested in having the option of doing it, but not if I need to outlay a lot of money to optimize for it.

I'm planning on using Windows 7, and maybe Linux.

Here's what I'm thinking of buying:
    Asus P8Z77-V family motherboard(see question 1 below)
    Intel Core i5-3570 S1155 3.4GHz 6MB

Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) XMS3 1600MHz DDR3 240-pin DIMM CL11

Samsung 256GB 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive Desktop Kit & FREE Norton Ghost 15
    or
    Samsung 128GB 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive Desktop Kit & FREE Norton Ghost 15

Besides general feedback regarding compatibility I have a few specific questions:
    1. Which specific Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard should I get. They range from 113E to 257E and a variety of prices in between. I don't want to spend masses of cash on a motherboard, but I also don't want to get a motherboard that's gimped. If anyone can suggest a specific model among all of these I'd be much obliged. I'm open to other manufacturers too, but I thought this line of Motherboards looked the best. I'd like to to have the option to overclock, but not if doing so well requires me to spend a lot more.

2. Is 16 GB of Ram overkill? I'm also not sure how to judge different RAM models which have the same clock speed and size, but are differently priced (for instance, is it really necessary for my RAM to have Heat sinks?). Confirmation that this is solid RAM would be great.

3. I'm fairly set on the I5 3570 CPU, but should I bother with the K variant? I don't see myself overclocking in the short term, but having the option would be nice.

4. Is there anywhere I can go to sell of my old Motherboard and RAM in Dublin? I believe they are in working condition, but I have no way of testing since the CPU is fried. Or do I have to go the Ebay/craigslist/gumtree route?

Thanks in advance for any advice :).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

1. Which specific Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard should I get. They range from 113E to 257E and a variety of prices in between. I don't want to spend masses of cash on a motherboard, but I also don't want to get a motherboard that's gimped. If anyone can suggest a specific model among all of these I'd be much obliged. I'm open to other manufacturers too, but I thought this line of Motherboards looked the best. I'd like to to have the option to overclock, but not if doing so well requires me to spend a lot more.

2. Is 16 GB of Ram overkill? I'm also not sure how to judge different RAM models which have the same clock speed and size, but are differently priced (for instance, is it really necessary for my RAM to have Heat sinks?). Confirmation that this is solid RAM would be great.

3. I'm fairly set on the I5 3570 CPU, but should I bother with the K variant? I don't see myself overclocking in the short term, but having the option would be nice.

4. Is there anywhere I can go to sell of my old Motherboard and RAM in Dublin? I believe they are in working condition, but I have no way of testing since the CPU is fried. Or do I have to go the Ebay/craigslist/gumtree route?

Thanks in advance for any advice :).
    Not an expert here at all, but thought I'd pipe in as I'm planning a build based on the 3570K and the Pro version of the Asus mobo. Basically, it has the features I need. Don't see Thunderbolt as being important just now meself, but you might.

I'm going for the K variant as I know I'll be overclocking. As a result, I'll be getting the OEM version and a seperate after-market cooler which you might want to consider if you think you'll go down the oc-ing route yourself at some point.

Personally, I think 8GB is loads of RAM for a gaming rig. If I wanted to do some serious video editing or other memory intensive work, then I'd go for 16 at least, but for me personally, 8GB is fine. Your needs may be different though! Again, fwiw, I'll stick 2x4GB of G.Skill Ares in my pc - the low profile heatsinks won't interfere with any CPU coolers whereas the RipJaws (e.g.) may be too tall.

I'm sure the real experts here can advise re checking your old parts, but if you're selling, Adverts.ie is the best bet I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

Thanks for the reply Apex.

Anyone else have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

No point in all those upgrades when you stick to your amd 4850 imo

What resolution are you using ATM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

weisses wrote: »
    No point in all those upgrades when you stick to your amd 4850 imo

What resolution are you using ATM ?
    The ATI 4850 was able to play all modern games at 1920*1080, with no major issues. My CPU and RAM was becoming much more of a problem.

I didn't want to do such a complete upgrade so soon, but unfortunately, my CPU dying forced my hand. Either I shell out 200E for an outdated replacement(my previous CPU was a core 2 duo, which are no longer manufactured), or I shell out 500E for a replacement motherboard/CPU that will be 3 times faster. I'm going with the latter.

When my GPU begins to be more of a limiter, I'll replace that too, I imagine that will be in a years time (hopefully when I have more money...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement