Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy Di Canio at it again

• 03-09-2012 2:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭

Mad Paolo is keeping things interesting at Swindon!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4517558/Paulo-Di-Canio-rant-about-Swindon-keeper-Wes-Foderingham.html
    PAOLO DI CANIO launched an incredible attack on his keeper Wes Foderingham after substituting him just 21 minutes into the game.

The Swindon stopper headed for the tunnel but not before the 21-year-old had kicked a water bottle on to the pitch in anger.

Boss Di Canio said: “He is one of the worst players I have ever seen. There was no reason why I could not change him for a substitute.

“He was the worst player against Stoke in midweek but we won that game 4-3.

“Any player can make a mistake but it was his arrogance and ignorance that was the worst I have seen from a professional.

“Not as a person but as an athlete. If he does not say sorry to the fans, he will be out of my team. I don’t mind, these are my rules.

“Maybe he behaved like this because the window has closed. But an emergency loan is possible and I’m ready to bring in a goalkeeper.”

Nice confidence boost for the lad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

ffs, you should know better than linking to that. Cop on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Why? He's linked to a National Newspaper, nothing at all wrong with that, if you don't like that paper then fine, but it's a newsworthy soccer story.

Paolo is a legend though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Aquila wrote: »
    Why cant he link it?
    Am I missing something:confused:

Cause its the Sun, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The topic is Di Canio and his substitution. Please keep to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Di Canio's the man! He lost a few weeks ago and after the game he went out on to the pitch to help the groundsman cut the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Not everyone here is a Liverpool-fan, deal with it.

As for Di Canio and the goalie, that sounds like something I would do in Football Manager :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the game needs more diCanio's instead of more sterile unemotional wooden planks - he's done well as a manager , never forget the stick he got when the ref over reacted , from his shove (yes , he shouldnt touch a ref , i know, but the over reaction ...) and some incident in the tunnel as he began his swindon managers job - football is emotional

go on Swindon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Di Canio is quick enough to claim the plaudits for success (never mind the budget he had to get out of league 2 being significantly more than most), but scapegoats VERY quickly when things dont go his way.

He has seen Leon Clarke leave their club (probably no great loss).

He fell out with Paul Caddis, their club captain, after he signed a longer contract sent him out on season long loan.

Accused of racially abusing Jonathan Tehoue while he was on loan at the club.

He has threatened his only goalkeeper with dismissal, fine if you have another keeper, he doesn't. The lad who came on is a youth team player.

He made the completely unethical decision (imho) and allowed Luke McCormick to train with the club, then let him go just before he decides his only keeper is the worst player he has seen.

Self Publicising Fascist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Would Love him to give an earful to pepe reina :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I mean he's kinda made out to be a bit of a crazy but loveable character by the British media but truthfully a man of his beliefs should not be aloud anywhere near a managerial post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jelle1880 wrote: »

As for Di Canio and the goalie, that sounds like something I would do in Football Manager :D

I thanked this part after having one of my keepers play a 3.0 in FM12 and lose 5-1 in the league cup to a League 2 side, keeper scored and O.G. gave away 2 penalties and got sent off for the 2nd penatly in the 85 minute forcing an outfield player on goal due to 3 subs been made, clear to say he never played for the team again. :pac:
    WAAAAY off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I wonder what would have happened had Di Canio been in Italy Euro2012 squad that visited Auschwitz.

Detestable little man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I mean he's kinda made out to be a bit of a crazy but loveable character by the British media but truthfully a man of his beliefs should not be aloud anywhere near a managerial post!

Job selection based on political beliefs (Wether agreeable or not)?
    That's a bit right wing isn't it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rekop dog wrote: »
    What beliefs are these? Fascism? because there is nothing wrong with believing in something like that unless it has some parts to it that you don't like. Italian fascism to the best of my knowledge is not against religion or race.

eagle eye wrote: »
    What beliefs are these? Fascism? because there is nothing wrong with believing in something like that unless it has some parts to it that you don't like. Italian fascism to the best of my knowledge is not against religion or race.

Need to brush up on your history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifesto_of_Race

Also, with regard to Di Canio's oft-repeated fascist salute:
    Mancino Law...condemning gestures, actions and slogans related to Nazi-fascist ideology, whose purpose is to incite violence and discrimination on racial, ethnic, religious or national background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Eirebear wrote: »
    Job selection based on political beliefs (Wether agreeable or not)?
    That's a bit right wing isn't it.....

I agree that if someone wants to hire him its their choice but they have to be honest about the person they have employed and not pretend his views are somehow acceptable to the majority of people in society these days.

In his autobiography, Di Canio considered Mussolini, the father of Italian Fascism as "basically a very principled, ethical individual"

Di Canio has a "Duce" (Mussolini) tattoo too incidentally.

Few facts/quotes from Mussolini, then see if you want to join the dots.

"When dealing with such a race as Slavic - inferior and barbarian - we must not pursue the carrot, but the stick policy ... We should not be afraid of new victims ... The Italian border should run across the Brenner Pass, Monte Nevoso and the Dinaric Alps ... I would say we can easily sacrifice 500,000 barbaric Slavs for 50,000 Italians"

"Every time I get a report from Africa, it makes me upset. Just today, another five arrested for living with blacks. Ah! These dirty Italians, they are destroying in less than seven years an empire. They have no consciousness of race."

Racial laws enacted by Mussolini:

Stripping Jews of their Italian citizenship

Prohibiting marriage between Jews non-Jews

Jewish property was confiscated

Many people believe that those laws were merely tactical, to strengthen the bonds between Italy and Germany.

At best, his ideas about race were conflicting during his reign.

Did you know Buffon is a fascist ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Aquilani too I believe. It's not terribly uncommon.

• Advertisement

Many people believe that those laws were merely tactical, to strengthen the bonds between Italy and Germany.

Did you know Buffon is a fascist ?

This was later revealed to be rubbish.

He married a Czech (slavic) which would put him at odds with Il Duce's comments above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Mad Paolo is keeping things interesting at Swindon!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4517558/Paulo-Di-Canio-rant-about-Swindon-keeper-Wes-Foderingham.html

Nice confidence boost for the lad.

This is the same keeper he dropped last season for going out on the lash 2 nights before a crunch game.......

By sounds of it he does need to be read the riot act though, as always, Paolo does things in his own way!

This was later revealed to be rubbish.

He married a Czech (slavic) which would put him at odds with Il Duce's comments above.

He wore a t-shirt that had a fascist slogan on it, no way was he unaware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The Lazio ultras in which he claims are "his people" are among the most extreme anti semitic cretins going who regularly display banners of this ilk in derby games. Personally uncomfortable with his belief system but football fans seem to easily throw a blind eye to these things regularly particularly if they produce the goods for their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I wonder what would have happened had Di Canio been in Italy Euro2012 squad that visited Auschwitz.

Detestable little man.

tumblr_lx6svlw5Vj1qhk8bko1_500.gif

He wore a t-shirt that had a fascist slogan on it, no way was he unaware of it.

Link?

I was aware of him choosing the number 88 for Parma years back and then switching to 77 when pointed out 88 could have Nazi connotations (I though it was 18 i.e. 1=A 8=H).

Having said that, even if he was on the right of politics, he has never performed the fascist salute.

Link?

I was aware of him choosing the number 88 for Parma years back and then switching to 77 when pointed out 88 could have Nazi connotations (I though it was 18 i.e. 1=A 8=H).

Having said that, even if he was on the right of politics, he has never performed the fascist salute.

15rmryg.jpg

It's practically unreadable, but it says 'Boia chi molla', a fascist slogan.
    Google it ;)

And yeah, Lazio fans are known for their politics, although that has gone down big time when the Irriducibili disappeared.
    Even now you'll have the most chance of seeing it when they play Livorno, who aren't shy of displaying Stalin pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Link?

88 woul be HH (Heil Hitler)

15rmryg.jpg

It's practically unreadable, but it says 'Boia chi molla', a fascist slogan.
    Google it ;)

And yeah, Lazio fans are known for their politics, although that has gone down big time when the Irriducibili disappeared.
    Even now you'll have the most chance of seeing it when they play Livorno, who aren't shy of displaying Stalin pictures.
    Grave, non sapere, ma da qui allo scandalo che ne è uscito c’è un abisso. Semplicemente non ero a conoscenza della radice storica della frase. Non sapevo che quest’espressione appartenesse alla tradizione fascista

Translation:
    It was serious that I was unaware but there is an abyss between this and the scandal that erupted. I was simply that I was not aware of the historical roots of the phrase. I did not know that this expression belonged to the fascist tradition.

• Advertisement

Yeah I call bollocks, especially since he's a massive Juventus fan and their fans have used it in the past too.

Him and Aquillani (who has a buste of Mussolini at home) are just smarter than Di Canio in denying it.

Yeah I call bollocks, especially since he's a massive Juventus fan and their fans have used it in the past too.

This was while he was at Parma.

Also, apparently, his idol is Thomas N'Kono, Cameroon starting goalkeeper in the 1990 World Cup.

^^
    Hardly the credentials of a bona fide fascista.

That Juventus fans are predominantly right-wing is true (having been in amongst them in the old Curva Sud enough times), however, there is a substantial group who are not and the new Juventus stadium lends itself to weeding out the more extremists amongst them.

And Di Canio is best pals with several black players, that was my whole point:

The fact that several Italian football players have fascist leanings doesn't make them racists ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I liked di Canio as a player, but I cant agree with him here. He signed the lad, twice. And after saying he was shocking against Stoke, put him back in goal a few days later, after not signing a keeper in the transfer window.

The only one at fault here is the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

He kicked one of his players up the arse a few weeks ago for over celebrating a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Super-Rush wrote: »
    He kicked one of his players up the arse a few weeks ago for over celebrating a goal.

Knight that man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

And Di Canio is best pals with several black players, that was my whole point:

The fact that several Italian football players have fascist leanings doesn't make them racists ;)

Racism is inherently illogical. If Di Canio is a supporter of Mussolini and makes fascist salutes than that qualifies him as quite a horrible and dangerous person.

Eagle Eye never fails to deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

There was a really good long interview with him in one of the English broadsheets around the time he got the Swindon job that dispelled a lot of the rubbish being spouted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Super-Rush wrote: »

Someone told me about this on Saturday, been trying to find a clip on YouTube, was it caught on camera?

bohsman wrote: »
    There was a really good long interview with him in one of the English broadsheets around the time he got the Swindon job that dispelled a lot of the rubbish being spouted here.
    What rubbish? Did he say in the interview it was all a misunderstanding and he in fact isn't a fascist?

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    What rubbish? Did he say in the interview it was all a misunderstanding and he in fact isn't a fascist?

Fascist yes, racist no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Pro. F wrote: »

It's mostly that a lot of the comments read like something out of the Sun or the Youtube comments section.

Heres the interview - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/paolo-di-canio-my-life-speaks-for-me-6273526.html

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

the keeper, has broken the club record for clean sheets (12) and been capped internationally underage, saw the goals, and he was deffo at fault for the first, but the second was just a good finish, not exactly his fault, DiCanio f#$ked him out of it coming off and the lad kicked a water bottle much to the fans amusement. DiCanio went on o say to SSN reporters that he expects a full apology from him to management and fans and players. Because, "who does he think he is? Cech??"

If I was the young lad Id ram me fist down the little fckers throat when he came into the dressing room.
    And they got bet 4-0 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Enjoy it while it lasts, Di Canio doesn't have the temperament to be a successful manager and will be gone by the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19468956

"He felt hurt by the situation and a mad moment can happen but after the substitution he left the ground and left his team-mates.
    "But it's not acceptable to think: 'I'm the goalkeeper, I can't be subbed'. When you have a bad day like he did yesterday, then you can be subbed.

"Even if he thinks it's not fair, you have to remain professional.
    "We'll move on now but it doesn't mean you don't pay the price and I will propose a fine.

"Otherwise, the next time I sub Matt Ritchie he will come with a gun and shoot at me, and just say sorry to escape from the punishment."

Di Canio confirmed Foderingham would be available for selection for their Johnstone's Paint Trophy clash with bitter rivals Oxford on Wednesday.

The keeper told the club website: "I was frustrated with myself in the heat of the moment and the disappointment of being substituted so early in the game.

"I appreciate the time, money and effort that Swindon Town fans spend to watch us play across the country and I hope they would agree that I've always given 100%.

"I will always be grateful to the manager and Swindon Town for giving me the opportunity to play first-team football and I would never take that for granted."

bohsman wrote: »
    It's mostly that a lot of the comments read like something out of the Sun or the Youtube comments section.

Heres the interview - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/paolo-di-canio-my-life-speaks-for-me-6273526.html

Your ad hominem argument is incorrect. There have been a few short throw away type posts criticising Di Canio and his politics (like each of Ironingbored's and Rekop Dog's first posts), but there have been more with detailed reference to evidence (Dooferoaks' posts, Ironingbored's and Rekop Dog's follow on posts).

I don't see why you are so impressed by that interview.

The full Mussolini quote does qualify his opinion a bit better,
    "I think he was a deeply misunderstood k individual. He deceived people. His actions were often vile. But all this was motivated by a higher purpose. He was basically a very principled individual. Yet he turned against his sense of right and wrong. He compromised his ethics."
    but Di Canio is still clearly making excuses for Mussolini and is unquestionably a supporter of the movement.

Just because his views are self conflicting and his interest in the details of politics is limited doesn't mean it's all okay. He is a fascist and deserves strong criticism for that fact.

Fascist yes, racist no.

Maybe he is not racist. But he supports a racist and violent organisation and its racist and violent founder.

Being fascist (which is full of illogicalities and self contradiction anyway) is bad enough so let's go with that.

Di Canio = Fascist
    Fascism = Extremely harmful to society

This is unbelievable. Fascist imperialist propaganda still fooling people 80 years later! Fúck me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Who gives a monkies what the man does in his private life . Judge his football management on his football management .
    I like the man . Could be BRods replacement in 2015 if he doesnt get CL football ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

kfallon wrote: »
    Someone told me about this on Saturday, been trying to find a clip on YouTube, was it caught on camera?

I saw it on the Capital One Cup highlights on SSN.

Couldn't find a video of it on youtube myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

I'm not a Liverpool fan either however I do have a shred of cop on and respect which it appears is quite a rare trait on this forum

• Advertisement
Advertisement