Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Political/Spy thrillers/dramas?

• 03-09-2012 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I love this genre, when it's done right. Very often, it's not.

I recently watched Margin Call and absolutely loved it. The suspense, the drama, the tension, the dialogue. One of the movies of the year for me.

I also loved The Insider. The Bourne movies are quite good but wouldn't be as good as the other films I've just mentioned. I know they are quite differnet but for the sake of this post, I'll lob spy and poitical in together.

So can anyone recommend some other tense dramas like the Insider and Margin Call?

Political, cold war, spy, that sort of thing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

A lot of Tom Clancy books are political, and have been made into movies like the Sum of all Fears, and Red October. The latter movie takes place in the cold war. Also K-19, which is also set in the cold war and has some political elements to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy would be one of the most recent, its either a taut thriller or a dull film with old men talking a lot depending on who you talk to.

cos i only watched it recently, Crimson Tide does sorta fall into that, its tense, there's political parts to it, nature of right and wrong in war and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

+1 for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I loved it and received a lot of acclaim from the critics, although some people feel that it's too much of a slow-burner. Some great suspense and intrigue in there.

You could also try Spielberg's Munich - a portrayal of the search for justice after the murder of Israeli athletes in the 1972 Munich Olympics. Here's the trailer -

Also saw Ridley Scott's Body of Lies recently and it's quite good. It follows an agent's attempts to track and capture a terrorist leader in Jordan. Quality performances from DiCaprio, Crowe and Strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

The Firm with Tom Cruise is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

The Lives Of Others is as good as it gets for me. Great story, brilliant performances and a real feel for the era it was set it in (1980s East Germany for those who haven't seen it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The best spy film I have seen in ages is

Farewell (2009 French language)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0806029/

and of course North by Northwest

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053125/

also thought the Lives of Others was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Try a few old classics

The Parallax View
    Three days of the condor
    All the Presidents men
    Arlington Road
    Betrayed

All worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

John Frankenheimer The Manchurian Candidate (1962).

If you can swallow some of the more implausible coincidences, this is a classic. Some great camerawork, performances, dialogue, and a very suspenseful conclusion.

Also, if you like political movies, Gillo Pontecorvo's The Battle of Algiers (1966) is a must-see in terms of historical importance. It's about the guerrilla war between militant Arab separatists the FLN and French colonial police in Algeria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It ain't exactly the best movie of all time but I have a soft spot for The Fourth Protocol, based on a Frederick Forsyth book.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Does mark wahlbergs shooter count as Political ?

Advertisement