Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar beginner, what next?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to learn guitar for the last four months. I haven't done any lessons, bar watching YouTube videos of lessons. I haven't really tried to learn any songs yet. I have just been focusing on getting the open chords down. I just basically play E Minor, A Minor, C, G, D, E, A & F. I then play the same in reverse and then play a combination or a shuffle if you will of all of them. I play a down down up up down up strum pattern. I have this down at this stage, i do struggle a bit with the movement from any other chord to F. It just takes a little longer, the F sounds out perfect when I do get the fingers on the appropriate strings. Has anybody else struggled with this movement?

My question is, what should I learn next? I don't know anything about scales at all I am afraid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I think it's time to start learning some songs. Try Justin's guitar lessons; he walks through a few simple/simplified songs and the chords you have will cover the majority of them.

Try to pick songs that you actually like as that will help keep the interest up.

Oh, and Fis one of the trickier ones, but with more practice comes speed in chord changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

noby wrote: »
    I think it's time to start learning some songs. Try Justin's guitar lessons; he walks through a few simple/simplified songs and the chords you have will cover the majority of them.

Try to pick songs that you actually like as that will help keep the interest up.

Oh, and Fis one of the trickier ones, but with more practice comes speed in chord changing.

Thanks for the reply,

Ya I think it's time I focused on learning a song. The Movement to the F is improving, It's just trickier than moving between the other chords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

I'd also advocate getting some help either through lessons or with someone who already plays.

You may struggle in these early stage or even learn bad habits. Having someone with more experience will help you learn much more effectively. Once you have the basics right, then the world is your oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

When moving between chords try to find an anchor finger

Say the left hand fingers are numberd 1 to 4 (index to baby finger)

example: when changing from C to F the 3rd finger stays on the 3rd fret of the 5th string - you can use this as a pivot or anchor for the chord transition

Also you could start some very basic finger picking

Say the right hand is named Pima (P=thumb, a = ring finger)

Put down a chord and with the right hand play P-i-m-a-m-i, then change chord and repeat

And learn how to read tab. Its very quick and easy and you will be able to get lots of free tabs online

Advertisement