Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future Points Totals For Medicine And Dentistry??

• 03-09-2012 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently a student from up north and in the process resitting my a levels. The process will take two years and I will be looking to apply in 2014.

I just want to know what the points tallies are likely to be in 2014? I've written up a list of both courses and their points required for each year.

For Medicine:

College......2009.........2010...........2011............2012
    Cork..........715...10.....725.......8....733*.....5....738*
    UCD..........719....6......725......10....735.....10...745*
    galwy........712*..5......719.......9....728*......9.....737
    RCSI.........715*..6.......721.....11....732......8.....740*
    Trinity.......724*..7......731*.....8.....739*.....7.....746*

For Dentistry:

Cork Trinity

2012....585* 590*

2011....570 570*

2010....570* 580*

2009....575 570

2008....565 550

2007....555 550*

2006....555* 560*

I know its still two years away, but I'm kind of sweating on what a level results I need.

Currently, the equivalent system is:
    A* = 150 points
    A = 135 points
    B = 120 points
    etc.

So including the maths bonus points 2A*2A (595) would get my into both universities for Dentistry (Dentistry is actually my first choice at the moment). But I worried that wont be a enough by the time I come round to applying for it. 3A*1A = 610 so that would definitely get me in even by then hopefully.

Obviously 4A*s is the maximum I can get but I just want to see what sort of leeway I can have? I'm wondering if I can get away with 2A*2A but not sure if that will be enough by 2014?

Medicine on the other hand is anyone's guess, the rate its going at we're all going to need 750 minimum for any of the courses. :(

Thoughts??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would have thought eventually they will go on a minimum requirements plus interview, plus appropriate work experience, volunteerism, other courses applied for, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

spurious wrote: »
    I would have thought eventually they will go on a minimum requirements plus interview, plus appropriate work experience, volunteerism, other courses applied for, etc..

I suspect it will be similar to what the UK does eventually, although I'm hoping that's not only two years away.

Does anyone know whether its likely Dentistry will stay around the 590 mark over the next two years? I'm not from the south so I don't know what further pending rule changes you might bring in to alter points like you did this year with the bonus maths bringing the whole thing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Actually, Trinity are supposed to be bringing in interviews etc in 2014 :) I can't imagine a course would go much higher than 590 to be honest, but you never know.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Actually, Trinity are supposed to be bringing in interviews etc in 2014 :) I can't imagine a course would go much higher than 590 to be honest, but you never know.

Have you got a source with that?? I couldn't find anything on google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

There was a discussion on it in After Hours a while back, this was the source at the time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

They're supposed to be reviewing the bonus points for honours maths as well, so it's hard to predict anything really

Thanks, I listened to interview there and saw the thread in AH. Interesting.

Does anyone know if Cork plan to do this, just incase I f*ck up in Trinity. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I can't see dentistry going to 600 to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hanhig

Im doing Dent in Cork this year and I got it on 575 and there are several others in my year who got it with those points as well. The CAO points published only account up to Round 2 of offers. With Dent it seems there are a fair few rounds (due to people not getting med, turning down dent and repeating instead). I only got a call to say I got the place several days before orientation. Some got the call even later!

Advertisement