If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips TV availability?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

While looking at TV's over the weekend and failing to find anywhere selling Philips I was told its impossible to get most of the Philips TV range so nowhere stocks them. I have a Philips Ambilight TV that I got from your Philips Store in Dublin about 2 years ago that I'm thinking of replacing with another Philips, as I love the Ambilight feature, anyone in Richersounds know what the situation is with Philips TV's?

As an alternative I was quiet taken with a Sony KDL-46HX853, what the best you chaps can do on that?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

quenching wrote: »
    While looking at TV's over the weekend and failing to find anywhere selling Philips I was told its impossible to get most of the Philips TV range so nowhere stocks them. I have a Philips Ambilight TV that I got from your Philips Store in Dublin about 2 years ago that I'm thinking of replacing with another Philips, as I love the Ambilight feature, anyone in Richersounds know what the situation is with Philips TV's?

As an alternative I was quiet taken with a Sony KDL-46HX853, what the best you chaps can do on that?

Quenching,

You are correct - Philips have completely withdrawn from the Irish TV market at the moment which is a real pity as they announced some great new TV product at the IFA exhibition in Germany last week including the 6900 series with a 1.2mm Bezel and the new 46" 9000 series which has just won the Eisa LCD/LED product of the year award 2012/2013 mainly I'd guess due to the moth eye filter.

The new bottom end TV seems to be fairly 'me too' kit (to be fair I haven't seen it in the flesh) but the Design Line, 6900 and 9000 series really do appear to be as innovative as ever which makes it all the more annoying that Philips currently dont have plans to import them into Ireland ...and I know it sounds crazy but the Ambilight feature is still not available from any other manufacturer to the best of my knowledge...

However we should be able to get this other stuff at some stage soon..

Philips also launched some other brill stuff at IFA including a tie up with Jamie Oliver for a pretty revolutionary new 'cooker'
    philips-homecooker.jpg
    also possibly the cutest iPod dock / radio I've seen in years
    philips-original-radio.jpg
    and then there's the house phone...

philips-mira.jpg

and the indestructable headphones (called 'The Crash)

philips-the-crash.jpg

On the Sony 46HX853 our current price is £1189.95 - but if you were going to spend that much I'd probably go that extra (tiny) bit and go for the LG 47LM760 at £1199.95 instead
    medium04.jpg

or alternatively if you want to keep the budget down a little you could go for the really excellent (but not as pretty..) Panasonic TXP50ST50

Apologies again that the Philips TV range is not currently available but keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Well that was certainly a very comprehensive reply!! It's a pity they can't be sourced as the Amiblight feature is terrific and its quite likely my family will insist the current TV stays for a while yet. Thanks for the pricing on the alternatives, I still think I'd lean towards the Sony though, saw one at the weekend and the picture was by far the best I've ever seen.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.