Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lazy Mans way to sow Grass Seeds. Just sprinkle on the soil?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Now I know your gonna say "LAZY MONKEY" but I really am looking for the lazy mans way to sow some grass. Had done some building work so just patches where the grass was covered with blocks etc for a while and the grass died so just soil there.
    I got a box of seeds in woodies and just sprinkled them on the soil patches.
    I saw on a youtube video the guy scraping the soil first i did this and sprinkled the seeds. You can still see all the seeds on the top of the soil. Will these grow or do i really need to bury them? Will they grow lieing on top of the soil?

I removed the debris from the grass about 2 months ago and its taken ages for the grass to come back sporadic shoots here and there. So Im going to try and grass these areas so they aint a mud bath come winter:)
    I have a few more patches to do and just wondering will simply sprinkling do the trick as the grounds a bit tough. Also do birds eat these seeds? I think the small seed eating birds have flown for the winter as i havent seen them lately

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if stacks of blocks were sitting on the lawn, the soil may be compacted and might not take grass too well. best break it up a bit first to give the seed a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

if stacks of blocks were sitting on the lawn, the soil may be compacted and might not take grass too well. best break it up a bit first to give the seed a chance.

Well I scraped it a bit and also punched some holes in it with a pitch fork. Do i need to get the seeds under earth? Even with scraping i can still see the seeds:) they are not actually buried under the ground, they just look like sprinkled rice on the ground

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the ground was compacted, you'll probably need to do more than run a few holes with a fork - compaction will affect drainage and plant growth. by the sounds of it, there's not much grass there now - may be worth turning the soil now and reseeding while you might still be able to get some growth before the winter.

Advertisement