Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep cheesecake base from getting soggy?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

So I've got the filling part down- baking in a slow oven for not so long at all and then turning the oven off and leaving it overnight til its completely cool...but the base (crushed biscuits:butter 2:1) always gets soggy. I've had this problem with chocolate tart too. I've eaten cheesecakes that have a crunchier base but I suspect they are the no-cook gelatinated variety. Any tips for keeping the base crisp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

I always had that problem when I used melted butter and biscuits for the base. I saw Nigella making a base by just mixing room temp butter, biscuits and some melted chocolate... tried it, and it made a firm base that didn't require a sledge to break through either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

tatumkelly wrote: »
    I always had that problem when I used melted butter and biscuits for the base. I saw Nigella making a base by just mixing room temp butter, biscuits and some melted chocolate... tried it, and it made a firm base that didn't require a sledge to break through either...

I went ahead and made the cake before I saw your post. Used 300g biscuits, 200g roughly ground almonds and 3 tablespoons of sugar to 200g butter with a much better result. I will definitely try your method the next time. I wonder would just the softened butter make a difference without the chocolate? I like to make different flavoured cheesecakes and I'm not sure I'd want the chocolate adulterating the subtle tastes going on in say a lemon cheesecake...in saying that, raspberry cheesecake with a chocolate base sounds divine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lemon with chocolate would be pretty good too. Our most requested cake as kids was a choclate cake with lemon icing.

Or orange with chocolate. Yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

pwurple wrote: »
    Lemon with chocolate would be pretty good too. Our most requested cake as kids was a choclate cake with lemon icing.

Or orange with chocolate. Yummy.

Lemon chocolate cake is undoubtedly good, as for orange chocolate cake...the sound I'm making cannot be adequately rendered in print... but I'm looking for something different in my lemon cheesecake, its a sentimental Proustian madeline thing for me!

Advertisement