Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healing times for tattoo

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a large shoulder - shoulder blade piece done on thursday. I was wondering would it be practical to go SCUBA diving that sunday?

Would the sea water / weight of diving suit + tanks increase the likelihood of infection or effect the ink settling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Generally at least 2 weeks off is recommended. Don't know what the effect would be but this is what I've seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Do not go into the sea with a fresh tattoo, just dont do it. Either put off the tattoo or put off the dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I got a large piece done on my shoulder blade a few months ago, it took two weeks before it was completely cleared. As advised, do not go near the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Definitely not. Two and a half weeks is the normal for me btw.

I've also been advised generally to put off swimming and saunas etc or submersion of the tattoo in water for longer periods of time for at least 4 weeks after getting the work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GonzoPunch

Do you really want a wet suit pressing against what is in essence an open wound? From my experience and what I can imagine, putting the suit on and taking it off would be a hellish experience. But maybe thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Thanks lads, I'll put the dive off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

Sounds like the best plan, how'd it go? Pics yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Went well Murfinho! Delighted with result. Pics on "I'll show you mine" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Melion wrote: »
    Do not go into the sea with a fresh tattoo, just dont do it. Either put off the tattoo or put off the dive.

Some seriously sound advice here, got a tattoo when I was on holidays in America during the summer and hit the pool a few days later, bad bad mistake :eek:

Advertisement