Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling foreign key values in a MySQL transaction

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys. Just looking for some tips and pointers for a small project I am doing. I have some ideas but I am not sure if they are the best practice. I am using mysql and php.

I have a table called nomsing in the database.

It has a primary key called row id which is an integer.

Then I have about 8 other tables referencing this table.
    That are called nomplu, accsing,accplu, datsing, datplu for instance.
    Each has a column that references the primary key of nomsing.

Withing my php code I have all the information to insert into the tables except one thing , the row id primary key of the nomsing table. So that php generates a series of inserts like the following.
    INSERT INTO nomsing(word,postress,gender) VALUES (''велосипед","8","mask").
    INSERT INTO nomplu(word,postress,NOMSING?REFERENCE) VALUES (''велосипеды","2",@the reference to the id of the first insert@).

There are more inserts but this one gets the point across. The second insert should reference the auto generated id for the first insert. I was this to work as a transaction so all inserts should complete or none.

One idea I have is to not auto generate the id and generate it myself in php. That way would know the id given before the transaction but then I would have to check if the id was already in the db.

Another idea I have is to do the first insert and then query for the row id of that insert in php and then make the second insert. I mean both should work but they don't seem like an optimal solution. I am not too familiar with the database transactional features but what would be the best approach to do in this case. I don't like the idea of inserting then querying for the id and then running the rest of the queries. Just seems very inefficient or perhaps I am wrong.

Comments

Advertisement