Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV hinders any chance of a good job :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    I had a similar discussion with a friend recently. We were saying sponsorship rate is $24.50 or $26 depending on whether it's a 40 or 37.5 hour week. That's ex.super obviously as its not factored in.

well I was basing that on a 38 hr week for 48 weeks of the year. I know that you get paid for the 4 weeks holiday regardless but if you actually only work 1824 hrs in the year then $51400/1824 is about 28ph.

But you are right if you then include the holidays is drops down to 26ph for 38 hr week (which I would say for office work is about the average).

Still $28ph is not bad for reception work, my mate doesn't even pay his labourer's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Mellor wrote: »
    Has she actually been granted 457 sponsorship, or has it just been offer. Because I know a few people in similar jobs whose employers were happy to sponsor them, but fell apart when they look further into it as they didn't meet the salary requirement. (often because they were 4 days etc). Which is what Mandrake was getting at.

No, she actually turned it down, she's looking to move on and she only wanted to stay for a year anyway, so it never went any further than an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

BOF666 wrote: »
    No, she actually turned it down, she's looking to move on and she only wanted to stay for a year anyway, so it never went any further than an offer.

That's all it ever would have been then I imagine. I had a few friends in the same situation. Very good receptionists/administrators and the company wanted to keep them as long as possible as they were cheaper than temps and more reliable than Aussies so they promised sponsorship etc.

When it actually came down to it though, they weren't able to...not because they weren't going to give them the raise (they said they would "once the time was right") but because part of the conditions of becoming eligible to be a sponsor meant spending a certain % of wages on training etc plus you had to have a certain % of staff as Australian and they didn't.

But the company got to keep very good staff for six months with the promise of the golden ticket of sponsorship. Until places put their money where their mouth is...I would remain sceptical of their promises

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Batgurl wrote: »

But the company got to keep very good staff for six months with the promise of the golden ticket of sponsorship. Until places put their money where their mouth is...I would remain sceptical of their promises

Nothing out of ordinary that and nothing wrong with it either, plenty of Paddy bosses at that in the construction game. The promise of the Golden goose certainly increases the Productivity but when you have a gang of 20 or 30 and only 3 or 4 get sponsored well what can you say. Sorry lads can't sponsor everyone.

Funny how the ones who do get sponsored are often great at the old Gaelic, that another story LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Just an update!

I got another job.. Hallelujah :)! And just in time.. My contract ends here on Friday.

I went to so many recruitment agencies! They applied for a few jobs for me which were 3-6 month contracts but the organisations would get back to them and say that yes it would be an initial 6 month but it would most probably be extended which ruled me out..

So I tried to go outside the recruitment agencies and apply for jobs by private advertisers and my first interview with an established company here and they offered me the job last Friday so all is good :)!!!

Persistence and patience is what it takes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Congrats, best of luck with the new job!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 John Vevers

lippy11 wrote: »
    I'm not very up on sponsorship rules but don't you have to have some qualifications? Like a degree of something.. I don't have one unfortunately

Hi,

Most occupations either require a qualification OR relevant work experience. I have worked with many applications that have been able to argue / demonstrate work experience in lieu of formal qualifications. We're talking about 457's here.

May not always be possible so its good to check out the requirements for each occupation. Start with abs.gov.au and go search ANZSCO from here the site will break down each role into what is required (qualification and / or work exp).

Hope this helps.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Guys, just that you are aware, there is uproar over the amount of people on 457 sponsorships taking jobs from Australian employees.

It looks like the requirements for the 457 VISA is going to become much more difficult to meet from 01 July 2013.

They will be reviewing the amount of spend an employer needs to make for training so this will make is more of a financial burden on the employer.

So if you are considering applying for a 457 sponsorship visa, my advice is to get this lodged as soon as possible before July!

Declan Clune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Guys, just that you are aware, there is uproar over the amount of people on 457 sponsorships taking jobs from Australian employees.

It looks like the requirements for the 457 VISA is going to become much more difficult to meet from 01 July 2013.

They will be reviewing the amount of spend an employer needs to make for training so this will make is more of a financial burden on the employer.

So if you are considering applying for a 457 sponsorship visa, my advice is to get this lodged as soon as possible before July!

Declan Clune

That's a shame, from reading on Boards, a lot of people are planning on that route, myself included. I'm still saving, so I won't be there in time before the changes take effect. I'll keep up to date on this. Thanks for the info!

Advertisement