Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog urine killing flowers

Options
  • 03-09-2012 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Have two dogs.this is first year I've ever tried planting anything and all have died-have also noticed leaves of shrubs that have been there for years are damaged. I know dog urine has nitrogen in it so is it likely this is destroying the soil. Any advice apart from sticking to hanging baskets?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

It wont damage the soil long term term at all the rain will wash it away. Only thing i found that works well is having a watering can and when the dog pee's just flush it with the watering can. This may not be easy though if your dog is outside all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

sounds like something else is at work here, any photos of garden and damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Oldtree wrote: »
    sounds like something else is at work here, any photos of garden and damage.
    will post some later. Had montbretia growing on really sunny spot but all flowers have died and leaves are brown.noticed neighbours are still in bloom. I took Ph of soil at wknd and measured at 3-has all the rain made idic or would dogs urine have affected? in other border the Ph was 1
    Do ye reckon its not the urine so? Am relieved at that as if ph needs adjusting or need more organic material,at least its fixable

Some photos

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have you thought of training the dog to pee elsewhere? You could put something like this in a less obvious place in your garden. It's treated to smell (to a dog, not to us) like wee so the dog is drawn to it. Give him a treat every time he goes in the correct place and he'll soon learn where his toilet is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

My mum used to swear that putting some tomato ketchup in the dogs dish stopped this happening! No idea why but it worked:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Some people swear by using things like that to alter the ph of the urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

sticking with the dog theme have your dogs been nutered, as my dog used to go all over the place until he was nutered.

can see slug/snail damage in photos and soil looks a bit poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

try planting a small tree or bush once a dog has pissed on it ,they will leave your flowers alone

Oldtree wrote: »
    sticking with the dog theme have your dogs been nutered, as my dog used to go all over the place until he was nutered.

can see slug/snail damage in photos and soil looks a bit poor.

Yeah was thinking holes in leaves caused by slugs. Got composted horse manure yesterday and have dug into the soil. Also ordered some lime so will gradually add that.
    Will rule everything else out before blaming the dog pee. Like ye said, with the amount of rain it would have been well washed away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

angeldaisy wrote: »
    My mum used to swear that putting some tomato ketchup in the dogs dish stopped this happening! No idea why but it worked:)

Apparently the vinegar in the ketchup alters the ph of the urine. My dogs wee is staining the lawn brown and killing the grass. I've resown it afew times but he tends to pick a different place every time. Must try the ketchup or vinegar in his food to see if it works!

RTT wrote: »
    angeldaisy wrote: »

Apparently the vinegar in the ketchup alters the ph of the urine. My dogs wee is staining the lawn brown and killing the grass. I've resown it afew times but he tends to pick a different place every time. Must try the ketchup or vinegar in his food to see if it works!

Just Googled-says to add 1tbs apple cider vinegar to dogs water.will give a try. Prefer that to ketchup with all the additives, sugar etc.thanks for tip!

Advertisement