Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avoiding football results

• 03-09-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭

Over this weekend, I managed to watch MOTD and MOTD2 within knowing either day's results beforehand.

In the past few years, during the football season I try to avoid premiership results as much as possible and I find that the later highlight programmes are more interesting that way. If I'm at home and there's a live game on TV, I will watch it with one finger on the remote in preparedness for the commentator giving out other results or the results being flashed on the screen. I also avoid listening to the radio on a Saturday or a Sunday afternoon.

Anybody else here do any of this?

If you do treat this thread as a support group :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Just can't do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I didnt see any results for yesterday until RVP scored his hat trick and my buddy txt me, I was out all day in the sunshine left the phone in the car, didnt feel like I missed too much TBH.

Although had Chelsea been playing I'd be stuck inside a dark room watching nervously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Couldn't do it. I'd never be able to enjoy anything all day knowing all the results were just a mouseclick or a phone call away.

Knowing the scores doesn't detract from Match of the Day for me anyway. My best friend does this sometimes and I have to tell him when something important is coming up, because he's usually chatting away and not paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I can't. Whenever I miss the game, I'll tell anyone of my friend to keep updating the score.

If it is a ManUtd game then I ask for regualr text updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yeah I find it too hard to stay away from the scores especially with the advent of smart phones. It doesn't bother me though, I'm never as engaged in re-run live events like American sports when I watch their replays as I am when I'm watching it live for some reason.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I can't. Whenever I miss the game, I'll tell anyone of my friend to keep updating the score.

If it is a ManUtd game then I ask for regualr text updates.

If you've a smartphone, loads of apps will send you free updates.

( Speaking of which, do any of these send the teams / subs )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I had to do this a few years ago when i was working Saturdays and was avoiding PL results 'til football first in the evening time. It was very difficult what with saturation coverage of the PL.

On the flipside, i was avoiding the rovers - city cup game last weekend 'til i could catch it on the RTE player, it was a lot easier to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Watching match of the day not knowing the results is more nerve shredding. As they only edit in the good bits, every attack your team, or the opposition makes, will probably result in a goal, or near miss.

That said, it's years since I watched motd in this fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Livescore app does this but I've normally seen the team on twitter before they get them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

In fairness, my team are not in the Prem at the mo, so the premiership results are not that much a priority for me.

Avoiding the results is not easy. Even being in a shop can catch you as a lot of shops have radios on. Or overhearing conversations. I was coming out of Croke Park yesterday and a guy in front of me was asking his mate if he heard news of the Man U game - luckily, I was able to move to avoid hearing the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

You have to keep checking everytime to see if any worth noting incident has happened, if it's a text, you know something has happened when your mate texts you :D

I enjoy following the results as they happen its half the fun of saturday I also often have accumulators on too.

No interest at all in avoiding the results, enjoy watching the highlights just the same when I know the results.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    You have to keep checking everytime to see if any worth noting incident has happened, if it's a text, you know something has happened when your mate texts you :D

Na, Futbol24 sends you push updates ( kinda like text messages, only free )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I couldn't even avoid looking for the results at electric picnic all weekend. Being there for transfer deadline wasn't much fun either. I reckon they should have stuck SSN on one of the screens on Friday for a bit of a party.

MOTD is too late and long winded for me. By the time it's on I usually know all the results/scorers and have looked up a bunch of the goals online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

It's hard in terms of avoiding media or friends etc telling you a result, but if the question is "can you discipline yourself to avoid checking results prior to MOTD etc?" then the answer is "yes, no problem". Over a 270 day season I don't really care if I only find out some score a couple of hours after everyone else.

In fact I actually only find MOTD (or any highlights show) an interesting watch if I don't know the results and try my best to avoid them. For example the ManU 3-2 So'ton on MOTD2 yesterday had my attention from start to finish. However had I already known about the final score, the missed peno, RVP hattrick etc before even watching it'd have taken a hell of a lot away from the viewing experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I do a mixture of both. If I'm watching a United game and the commentators are updating the scores from other games, I don't mind but I'm happier not knowing the score in the likes of a Stoke - Sunderland game as I find I'm more interested in the highlights then.

It's actually not that difficult to avoid the scores. You just have to watch yourself when you're listening to the radio etc. I find I sometimes might hear the outcome of the game but not necessarily the score and that's o.k. too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It depends on when Arsenal are playing and if I can watch it live or not.

This weekend for example, I avoided all the Saturday results and got to watch Premier Soccer Saturday without knowing the scores of any matches. Had Arsenal been playing on Saturday, itd be the same but a lot tougher if I couldn't watch it live. I'd be a lot more careful not to spoil the result.

If I'm watching the Arsenal game live, I don't mind if I hear other scores as I'm watching the one I care most about. Given a choice, I'd rather not know them but it doesn't bother me if I do.

Advertisement