Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying house in Moyglare hall, Maynooth, Kildare

Options
  • 03-09-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am thinking to buy a 3 bed semi detached home in Moyglare hall, Maynooth, Kildare.

Can anyone tell about the place and recent price changes, commuting to city issues etc...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Driving,bus or train?
    I do not live in Moyglare but do live in Maynooth:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I've lived in Moyglare Hall for the past 4 years. Love it here, but it's a little far from the town, generally end up driving down.

There are a few threads on the estate already, which should cover most of your questions, bury it you've anything else I'm happy to try and answer.

Don't know anything about prices, other than it's a lot less than we paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Houses there are painfully over-valued by vendors/agents (as well as the developer for the remaining new ones); if you can get one for a reasonable price for the rest of the town go for it; but the asking prices in general need high 5 to 6 figures knocked off each and every one.

Its very far out. Until the second entrance is built (when the estate gets nearer to being finished - very long time away) you need to go three sides of a square to get out. The secondary schools are moving up adjacent to it which may be useful if you've kids of that age and its definitely walking distance to the boys national school - girls, gaelscoil and ETNS maybe not walking distance for modern kids...

The bus route (67) that is meant to be extended out there has had its extension long-fingered but I'm certain it'll be there before the new schools open. The train station is a fairly long walk away and parking isn't plentiful or free there.

Houses seem fine from when I've been in them, developer still seems to be in business which reduces the chance of the remaining unsold/unfinished bit to the back going ghost on you. Last time I was down there the unfinished bit was quite small - they hadn't started work on the bulk of the remaining houses at all - and wasn't obtrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 V456

Thanks for the reply.

Asking price for new type large bed is 255k but rate is negotiable and they might reduce 5 to 7%

Is it reasonable?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It would be a nightmare commuting via train to the city centre from there.
    That sounds a little expensive to me for Moyglare ,there were issues with some of the builds there so maybe no harm talking to neigbours or finding people online who bought in the same phase,find out which builder built them.
    Have you looked at the new houses on the Dunboyne road too?

When I was commuting via train I'd either drive to the station or be dropped.

I would want significantly more than 5-7% off that price.

3 beds in other similar parts of the town, second hand, sell for about 165k by the looks of things at the moment. Weigh up the value of a new house vs. the inconvenient location to figure out how much more than that they're worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I have been looking in Kildare recently also and that is overpriced. For example I seen a lovely 5 bed in Donadea for 199k. Just outside Maynooth and is a lovely area.

Its a real bargain.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=656378

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

I have been looking in Kildare recently also and that is overpriced. For example I seen a lovely 5 bed in Donadea for 199k. Just outside Maynooth and is a lovely area.

Its a real bargain.

Not sure if I'd call Timahoe "just outside" Maynooth, just outside Prosperous maybe. :) Nice quiet area though

• Advertisement

Its a real bargain.

It depends on how you define a bargain...
    It is not as handy for everything as Maynooth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Putting all this into context looking at http://www.propertypriceregister.ie/ it's interesting on 2 points.

1. The volume of sales, a lot less houses in the estate changed hands in the past 3 years than one may think/been led to believe.

2. No one seems to have paid the asking price, even allowing for the exclusion of VAT.

As suspected there was an explosion in sales in Castlepark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kieran6

TonyStark wrote: »
    Putting all this into context looking at http://www.propertypriceregister.ie/ it's interesting on 2 points.

1. The volume of sales, a lot less houses in the estate changed hands in the past 3 years than one may think/been led to believe.

2. No one seems to have paid the asking price, even allowing for the exclusion of VAT.

As suspected there was an explosion in sales in Castlepark.
    Seems like that's right. With vat included they sold for less than 230000 in moyglare with an asking price of 255000. Better value for money than castlepark which seem to be going for close to the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Just wondering if you decided to buy in Moyglare Hall. Considering buying there myself but I'd love some feedback from people who are already living in the area.
    Is there anything we would need to look out for / be aware of with these houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Just wondering if you decided to buy in Moyglare Hall. Considering buying there myself but I'd love some feedback from people who are already living in the area.
    Is there anything we would need to look out for / be aware of with these houses?

The estate was built by two different builders - there were pyrite issues affecting some houses in a particular phase built by one of the builders and remedial works carried out. I'm not sure of which houses though unfortunately

The estate was built by two different builders - there were pyrite issues affecting some houses in a particular phase built by one of the builders and remedial works carried out. I'm not sure of which houses though unfortunately

Thanks for that, good to know!

Would love to hear from anyone else who has bought there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

secondary school in maynooth has a good reputation as there is a family I know just moving to maynooth specifically for the school..in terms of future prices moyglare will probably do well enough for this reason alone..

Have friends there too and are happy enough but say there is a variety of house types/sizes and specs (as some tenants decided in their own finish) so prices aren't all the same as you'd expect...

Thank you both very much! I am already living in Maynooth, been renting for years so I finally feel its time to buy.

Any idea when the proposed walkway to the town will be constructed?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Councillor

For health & Safety reasons the footpath won't be built until the houses are built all the way to the Eircom building. And that probably happen for 3 or 4 years depending on the market.

Councillor wrote: »
    I thought that there was only one builder at Moyglare Hall i.e Mycete.

Never heard of the pyrite problem there.

Cllr. John McGinley

http://www.realestatealliance.ie/includes/html/brochure_newhome_print.php?id=161
    Developer
    Mycete Homes Ltd. & North City Builders Ltd.

Friends of mine were on the verge of buying in Moyglare Hall when it so happened that the surveyor for the purchaser of their house when doing the structural survey mentioned in passing that there were pyrite issues in Moyglare Hall - Coonans were aware of it when asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jammie01

Thinking about having a look at the houses in Moyglare Hall and have a few questions.

Does anyone know which house types are being sold now and whereabouts in the estate they are situated? We'd be interested in the five bed semi or detached only.

How big are the gardens in this estate? We were originally looking at the semis in castlepark but were put off due to the tiny gardens. Would hope that moyglare hall wouldn't be the same

Are these houses already built or being sold from plans? If from plans how long from when the contracts were singed do they take to build?

Is there anymore news on the walkway or the timeframe for finishing this estate? We would ideally like a house near the back of the estate but how long would we be waiting until we could walk to the village from that end rather than all the way to the entrance and back down the moyglare road?

Thanks

Oh and does anyone know which builders are doing this next phase?

Mycete put in the planning permission extension request anyway

There's only a few 5 beds left now - a few more of the semis got sold signs in the past week.
    The houses being sold from plan are 3 bed.
    None have big gardens, those are long sold.

Thanks donspeekenglish, do you know what part of the estate the five beds are left in? Is it the green? Was looking at the original site plans on the Kildare co co planning website and it seems there will be more five beds built in the future, wonder how long it'd all take though

Semis on the Green, and detached on the Park. Maybe three of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wonderwoman43

Hi there

Does anyone know what North City Builders are like to deal with? Would be interested to hear from anyone who has purchased a house from them in Moyglare Hall? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Rainbow bright

Hi all

I am buying a house in Moyglare Hall and have been advised of
    Pyrite in the area.

We are trying to get confirmation that the house is
    Pyrite free and have been advised the only way to get that
    Confirmation is to carry out a pyrite test.

I would appreciate any feed back on this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

My wife and myself are in the process of buying a terraced house in Moyglare. We've had a survey completed, which was very thorough, and there were a few small issues that needed to be fixed but nothing worrying.

We've asked our solicitor to advise the vendor that we won't be closing the sale until they provide us with a cert that the property is pyrite free.

In my opinion, if a house is being sold in an area that has had pyrite problems it should be the vendor's responsibility to prove the property is free of pyrite.

Of course I am aware that many vendors won't see it this way but if you don't ask, you won't get. I'm sure some vendors will be happy to have a test done if it will enable them to sell in a more timely fashion.

• Advertisement

The people who were selling the house to friends of mine in Moyglare did offer to get a pyrite test done, on the understanding that if it came back ok they would sign everything else pretty immediately.

Advertisement