Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying house in Moyglare hall, Maynooth, Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of the "new" houses there have been built long enough that pyrite issues would be showing if there were any although most of them have been sold by this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Thanks a million for all of the replies, it's a testament to all the users of boards that when I have a problem or query this is the first place I go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Hi all,

Myself and my OH put down a holding deposit two weeks ago on a house in moyglare hall.

We got a call from the bank this morning saying that we need a letter of guarantee from the builder that the house is pyrite free before approving our mortgage. Has anyone else had the same happen?

We were told by the builder that we'll get a green cert with the house to say its pyrite free. Would anyone know if this cert is legally binding?

IrishAlice - Is this a new build or a second hand/built years ago but unsold home? I presume for the new builds Pyrite is a thing of the past

IrishAlice - Is this a new build or a second hand/built years ago but unsold home? I presume for the new builds Pyrite is a thing of the past

It's technically a new build but the foundations have been down for about 5 years.

They had started on phase 3 and then everything ground to a halt to they're picking up where they left off.

I checked with an engineer because I thought it was strange the bank were asking for the letter but he said it's becoming common practice with new houses.

Oh i see.. We have bought there too in phase 3 but nothing had started before it all ground to a halt... we were under the impression that phase 3 was completely sold out now but obviously still some units left...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Oh i see.. We have bought there too in phase 3 but nothing had started before it all ground to a halt... we were under the impression that phase 3 was completely sold out now but obviously still some units left...

Just wanted to say hello, as we've just signed for a house in Moyglare Hall, so we'll be moving in soonish too. When we placed our deposit back in February, we were told there was only 2 houses left in phase 3 - we got 1, and the other went soon after. So phase 3 is gone now a few months.

Out of curiousity I rang the estate agent (Coonans) reently pretending to be a buyer and asked about 3 beds in the estate. I was told they were takng names now for more houses coming up for sale soon, and for 4 and 5 beds they'll be taking names in October/November. To me that seems to mean that phase 4 will be going ahead - which'll hopefully mean the pedestrian access closer to the village and the relief road that was planned will also be completed. The planning permission had said that the relief road had to be completed before houses in phase 4 were occupied but who knos if that changed over time.

So anyway, Howdy Neighbourinos.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

Welcome to the estate! There's also a facebook group for Moyglare residents that you should join if it floats your boat. It's a good place to ask about local services and acts as a sort of unofficial neighbourhood watch too. Hope your time here is happy!

Patser wrote: »
    Just wanted to say hello, as we've just signed for a house in Moyglare Hall, so we'll be moving in soonish too. When we placed our deposit back in February, we were told there was only 2 houses left in phase 3 - we got 1, and the other went soon after. So phase 3 is gone now a few months.

Out of curiousity I rang the estate agent (Coonans) reently pretending to be a buyer and asked about 3 beds in the estate. I was told they were takng names now for more houses coming up for sale soon, and for 4 and 5 beds they'll be taking names in October/November. To me that seems to mean that phase 4 will be going ahead - which'll hopefully mean the pedestrian access closer to the village and the relief road that was planned will also be completed. The planning permission had said that the relief road had to be completed before houses in phase 4 were occupied but who knos if that changed over time.

So anyway, Howdy Neighbourinos.:D

We went to view the show house about 3 or 4 weeks ago now and at that stage there was one house left in phase 3 (the one we've put the deposit on).

The week before when we called Coonan's to enquire they said they had 5 left.

Judging by the amount of people that came to the open viewing I'd say phase 4 is definitely going ahead, it'll be good for the estate to be finished :)

From speaking to the builder and the estate agent it doesn't sound like that relief road is going to be built anytime soon, if at all. Apparently there's issues getting permission because it's right on the Kildare Meath border.

They did say they're considering trying to get planning permission for a second road entrance to the estate where the pedestrian access is on the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

TonyStark wrote: »
    Well all the houses that had pyrite problem were repaired. They seem to be still standing and the people living in them.
    do you happen to know which estate the affected houses were in?

i was in a house in The Crescent last week and there were cracks in the walls/ceiling in most of the rooms. also cracks on the exterior of the house.
    perhaps not pyrite-related, but for a relatively new house, i wouldn't have expected so many...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

do you happen to know which estate the affected houses were in?

i was in a house in The Crescent last week and there were cracks in the walls/ceiling in most of the rooms. also cracks on the exterior of the house.
    perhaps not pyrite-related, but for a relatively new house, i wouldn't have expected so many...

Can't say for definite where the affected houses were, though it has been ages since we have seen any houses with remedial repairs being carried out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Anfive

Hi All,

I am currently living in the Dale in Moyglare Hall and looking to buy in The Grove. The Builder (North City Builders) says he will not provide us with a pyrite-free certificate on the signing of the contracts for our house. Our house in the Dale was one of the houses that was affected by pyrite and as you can imagine, we do not want to go through that stress again.

In relation to the houses that were affected by pyrite, As far as I know, There was at least 15 fixed (all built and fixed by Mycete Homes). I don't think any more were tested as they didn't show physical signs of Pyrite. At the time, our house didn't show any real signs of pyrite. It just had a few 'settling' cracks but given our neighbours were being tested, I insisted on getting ours tested too. Since doing some research, I now know that it can sometimes take years (up to 10) for pyrite to show.

In relation to our possible new house in the grove, the foundations were laid in 2007. It was built up as far as the footings, filled with infill and the concrete slab was poured. This incidentally was the same year that our house in the Dale was started and completed. Because of this and what we've been through we do not want to take any chances. I've heard rumours that there is another house in the Maynooth area which has a pyrite issue that North City Builders built and refuse to come back and fix (because they were operating under a different name then) I'm aware that this is only hearsay but it adds to my fear. I'm terrified that he could pull the same trick as soon as he finishes up in this estate. There is really nothing stopping him from liquidising his current company and setting up a new one well before any evidence of pyrite shows!

I'm really interested to hear how those who have bought in Moyglare Hall from North City Builders (especially a house that was started in 2007) got on dealing with the builder and if you got a pyrite free certificate or not.

Thanks in advance for any repies

Anfive wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am currently living in the Dale in Moyglare Hall and looking to buy in The Grove. The Builder (North City Builders) says he will not provide us with a pyrite-free certificate on the signing of the contracts for our house. Our house in the Dale was one of the houses that was affected by pyrite and as you can imagine, we do not want to go through that stress again.

In relation to the houses that were affected by pyrite, As far as I know, There was at least 15 fixed (all built and fixed by Mycete Homes). I don't think any more were tested as they didn't show physical signs of Pyrite. At the time, our house didn't show any real signs of pyrite. It just had a few 'settling' cracks but given our neighbours were being tested, I insisted on getting ours tested too. Since doing some research, I now know that it can sometimes take years (up to 10) for pyrite to show.

In relation to our possible new house in the grove, the foundations were laid in 2007. It was built up as far as the footings, filled with infill and the concrete slab was poured. This incidentally was the same year that our house in the Dale was started and completed. Because of this and what we've been through we do not want to take any chances. I've heard rumours that there is another house in the Maynooth area which has a pyrite issue that North City Builders built and refuse to come back and fix (because they were operating under a different name then) I'm aware that this is only hearsay but it adds to my fear. I'm terrified that he could pull the same trick as soon as he finishes up in this estate. There is really nothing stopping him from liquidising his current company and setting up a new one well before any evidence of pyrite shows!

I'm really interested to hear how those who have bought in Moyglare Hall from North City Builders (especially a house that was started in 2007) got on dealing with the builder and if you got a pyrite free certificate or not.

Thanks in advance for any repies

Hi Anfive,

My partner and I were in the process of buying one of the houses in the Grove and ended up pulling out. We were promised a Green Cert to say there was no pyrite and then the builders backtracked and said they wouldn't be giving us one.

We offered to pay to have the testing done ourselves and even had our engineer picked out. They agreed and then a few days later backtracked again and said that we could only use their engineer (who incidentally is not on the pyrite register). At that stage our solicitor advised us to pull the plug.

The house could have been perfectly fine but we weren't willing to take the risk.

There are only a small number of houses in the Grove that had foundations built in '07 so the first thing to confirm would be if the house you intend to buy is one of those or not.

Also - yes I have heard the story about the other housing estate that was affected and I know one of the people in this situation so I know that it is true. Although I didn't know that they went by a different name back then.

Best of luck with it all, let us know how you get on.

By coincidence - we're just about to move into our 4 bed house tomorrow and today we got an e-mail from Coonans about the launch of 4 beds in the next phase. €335k compared to the €300 we're paying - deposit put down almost exactly a year ago.

Hopefully as phase 4 goes ahead it'll provide another entrance to the estate closer to the town. Talking with the Mycete foreman Tony a while ago and he said Kildare council (maybe Maynooth council) had changed permission for that entrance to road traffic not just pedestrian as originally planned. They want to lower traffic volumes away from the new school planned near the current entrance. However there are objections to this change from long term residents on the Moyglare Rd, who'd haveincreased traffic noise coming from beside their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Yeah, the planning permission has been appealed to An Bord Pleanála

Phase IV has already started. (i can see it out my back window) They already have the planning permission for most of it in the original planning & pedestrian access is already granted in new entrance... the only debate with the new application is pedestrian vs vehicle entrance & a couple of apartments vs terraced houses (on the walk i think).. its more of a tweak to existing planning rather than a new application which must be why they could start the new phase

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Paula C

Hi welcome to moyglare hall. I moved in in oct.one of the 3 beds on the rise so we might be neighbours.how much are 3beds going now out of curiosity? Theres a moyglare hall fb group if ur interested called moyglare hall residents.its a closed group.
    By coincidence - we're just about to move into our 4 bed house tomorrow and today we got an e-mail from Coonans about the launch of 4 beds in the next phase. €335k compared to the €300 we're paying - deposit put down almost exactly a year ago.

Hopefully as phase 4 goes ahead it'll provide another entrance to the estate closer to the town. Talking with the Mycete foreman Tony a while ago and he said Kildare council (maybe Maynooth council) had changed permission for that entrance to road traffic not just pedestrian as originally planned. They want to lower traffic volumes away from the new school planned near the current entrance. However there are objections to this change from long term residents on the Moyglare Rd, who'd haveincreased traffic noise coming from beside their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Paula C

Hi welcome to moyglare hall. I moved in in oct.one of the 3 beds on the rise so we might be neighbours.how much are 3beds going now out of curiosity? Theres a moyglare hall fb group if ur interested called moyglare hall residents.its a closed group.

Thanks for welcome but due to bank/solicitor messing it'll be Monday now. And yes we're in the Rise too - a 4 bed with back facing out over the farmland.

The 3 beds were listed at €310k I think. Might just be the showhouse on the Grove being sold off. Check Coonans

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ciartastix

Have they put the prices up on the coonan website yet? only allowed to build a certain amount of houses before (if) an bord pleanala give the go ahead.

Was trying to get the info online about the new houses - my Wife was e-mailed by Coonan's to her work computer - and instead came across this;

http://www.labour.ie/johnmcginley/news/14220321423023776.html

It's from today and shows there are still plans afoot to put a link road from Moyglare Hall all the way around to the Straffan Road. Edit - I'm wrong, not about the link road, just proposals to change the main road if I'm reading it right

Edit: Heres a link to some of the new launch, no price listed. It's a 3-bed with the 3rd bedroom kicked into the attic (similar to what they did in our 4 bed) and the original 3rd bedroom on the 1st floor now reduced in size to be an office/4th bedroom

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/moyglare-hall-maynooth-co-kildare-new-three-bedroom-semi-detached/1572854

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's from today and shows there are still plans afoot to put a link road from Moyglare Hall all the way around to the Straffan Road

While there are, the "north south corridor" is along the existing road... its basically improved cycling and footpath facilities.

There are very long term plans, which are dependent on Meath Co. Council due to the proximity of Meath, for a road from the current entrance of Moyglare Hall around to the Dublin Road and then across the canal/railway to the Celbridge Road at Griffin Rath, through Griffin Rath and out at Lidl.

That was first proposed in 1987 although some sections are now built and most of the sections in Kildare have planning permission.

Aye, was editing my post as you were typing I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Was trying to get the info online about the new houses - my Wife was e-mailed by Coonan's to her work computer - and instead came across this;

http://www.labour.ie/johnmcginley/news/14220321423023776.html

It's from today and shows there are still plans afoot to put a link road from Moyglare Hall all the way around to the Straffan Road. Edit - I'm wrong, not about the link road, just proposals to change the main road if I'm reading it right

Edit: Heres a link to some of the new launch, no price listed. It's a 3-bed with the 3rd bedroom kicked into the attic (similar to what they did in our 4 bed) and the original 3rd bedroom on the 1st floor now reduced in size to be an office/4th bedroom

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/moyglare-hall-maynooth-co-kildare-new-three-bedroom-semi-detached/1572854

There are 4 beds in this release too aren't there? Are there no pics or brochure for those do you know? Also, are there showhomes still on site?

Here's the e-mail:

Dear Enquirer,

Mycete Homes & North City Builders Ltd are delighted to announce the release of 4 three bedroom semi-detached houses. The houses extend to approx. 1,425 sq.ft. and some of the features include two ensuite bedrooms, master bedroom on 2nd floor, office/reception on first floor, solar panels(for hot water supply) and a solid fuel stove.

This eagerly awaited release are units 1 – 4 The Avenue, Moyglare Hall and are priced at €335,000. More details is available on the following link –

We have three other units available for purchase, details are as follows;

3 bedroom mid-terrace 1,114 sq.ft. - €269,000 (37 The Grove)
    3 bed end-terrace c. 1,150 sq.ft. - €310,000 (44 The Grove)
    5 bedroom detached c. 1,817 sq.ft. €450,000 (1 The Grove)

Show units are on view by prior appointment by calling REA Coonan at 01- 6286128.

Just to follow on from that: My Wife accepets she mis-read it and that they are 3 beds on sale. At €335K that compares to the €300K we paid for our 4 bed last year. Ouch! I knew there was a big pick up in the area but that's some rise

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ciartastix

Just to follow on from that: My Wife accepets she mis-read it and that they are 3 beds on sale. At €335K that compares to the €300K we paid for our 4 bed last year. Ouch! I knew there was a big pick up in the area but that's some rise

yeh we met with the builder and this is the figure we were given for the 3 bed. to say the wind was takin out of my sales is an understatement. We missed the last phase by roughly a week last year!! approx 75 thousand increase in a yr is very steep.

FYI, here's what Brady's auctioneers has to say about the property market in Maynooth. He's 'cautiously optimistic' and goes for a 5% increase this year, citing various factors that will act as a drag - notably the Central Bank's mortgage lending restrictions (expect an announcement next week) and the abolition of CGT which, until December 2014, was an incentive to investors.

Funnily enough, the Indo published a report around Christmas time based on a survey of REA agents, of which Coonan's is one. They forecast an 11% increase for Kildare. Granted that was for all of Kildare whereas Brady's are talking here about Maynooth - but still. Coonan's do always strike me as a particularly bullish when it comes to pricing.

e.g
    This in Castlepark for 550k
    This in Rockfield for 469k
    This on Celbridge Road for 499k - sitting there for six months, no sign of price drop

ciartastix wrote: »
    yeh we met with the builder and this is the figure we were given for the 3 bed. to say the wind was takin out of my sales is an understatement. We missed the last phase by roughly a week last year!! approx 75 thousand increase in a yr is very steep.

Just to be fair about that price increase. It is a redesigned house with the attic converted into an ensuite, the roof raised to accommodate this and a 4th 'bedroom'/study compared to the previous 3 bed design.

Also fwiw, in our little batch of 4 beds - where the attic was converted - the 5th room seems to have been unanimously used as a walk in wardrobe/main bedroom extension. So that's the Wimmin happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Just to be fair about that price increase. It is a redesigned house with the attic converted into an ensuite, the roof raised to accommodate this and a 4th 'bedroom'/study compared to the previous 3 bed design.

It also has less floor space on the ground floor as it is a thinner but taller house. :-/

• Advertisement

Is it really thinner.

Looking at ads on My Home there and an original 3 bed in The Dale has 1,150 sq ft advertised

The new ones are advertised at 1,425 sq ft - which I know is all about the attic but that's still alomost 300sq ft in a single room we're talking about. And if as you say the bottom floors were squeezed it's just making that room bigger and bigger to make up for the increased size

Advertisement