Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Loughrea

Options
  • 03-09-2012 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am currently living near Dublin in a housing estate. I really want to near Galway and buy a house which is rural but near a town and indeed not too far from Galway. I am interested in moving to Loughrea. However, I am a separated mom of 3 children and would be moving away from my immediate family (I have a lot of extended family in Galway). Is Loughrea a good place to bring up children? Are the schools good (I have 2 children in primary and one in secondary) I would need to travel to Galway for work - what is the commute like? And, how do the people of Loughrea take to blow ins? I would appreciate any guidance on these matters and any other information I should consider.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Hi concerned parent,

Just to answer some of your questions

- The commute to Galway takes about 25 - 30 mins to east side of the city, if going into town, it's obviously a bit longer with traffic. A very doable commute with the motorway but with the fuel prices as high as they are, it's a significant expense so worth bearing in mind.

- I don't have kids but any parents that I know of seem pretty pleased with Loughrea as a place to bring up kids. Hard one for me to judge, but in the estate I live in, once there's not a monsoon outside, the kids play outside all evening and seem to have a great time.

- Again can't offer much info on the schools, but I have heard that St Brigid's, the larger of the 2 secondary schools, are aiming to be the first school in the country to have moved fully to tablets/ipads, within the next 3 years. Can't find an article on that but it's pretty progressive.

- As to how people take to blow ins, a lot depends on how good you are at joining local clubs, taking part in activities etc. I would say with your family living in Galway, and 3 kids who will be across a couple of schools in the town, you should have no problem.

If you have any more questions, please ask. You might find www.loughreaonline.com useful, as well as their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/loughreaonline

• Registered Users Posts: 4 concerned parent

Hi Hoody,

That's really helpful thank you. St Brigid's sounds interesting - any school seeking to progress like that is definitely worth a look. I have looked at the sight you suggested and am quite excited about the move now (even though it is not until next summer!!). Thank you again for your help.

From,

Not so concerned parent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JFWY

Hello
    You should fit right in here. The town is full of single/separated parents, and as for blow-ins, they are what keeps the town alive.
    There is a great lake here for swimming and fishing and other water sports. There are also loads of clubs for you all to join.
    Welcome (_8(|)

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. I feel a lot more comfortable about the move. I am planning a trip to the town over the next couple of weeks so I hope it lives up to my dreams! Everything on-line looks great. The last time I was there I was a kid so I'd say it has changed a bit - although I am not that old!!
    Thanks again for the info. I am really looking forward to opening a new chapter in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flogging a dead horse

Blow-in's. You would hear a dozen different languages being spoke on any given day. There is a good selection of resturaunts as well as 3 chippers. The pubs can be lively some nights but also quite on other nights.
    As from a parenting point of view of sports. The rugby club has 100's of boys and girls playing U6 to U12 rugby. Hurling in the town has never been better with comogie doing well also. A mate mine coaches the underage athletics teams and they are doing quiet well also. The tennis club always seems to have people playing. The library, which was the former Church of Ireland building is a peach of a place and there-in as well as books you find notice's for all kinds of activities around the town.

• Advertisement

That's great to hear. The kids are involved in a few activities here and I would like them to continue when we move. Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Premier Girl

Hi, I hope im in the correct thread!! Looking for advice. I am a young professional in my late twenties. I am currently thinking of buying a house in Loughrea. Could anyone give me advice on what estates to avaoid/ what places are nice? Are any houses selling in Loughrea at the moment? I really want to avoid the ghostly estates. What clubs and socities are here? Is there a camogie club? Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flogging a dead horse

The camogie is not something I would know about.
    However 1 estate I would reccomend would be Cuis Furrain.
    I lived there myself for about 1 year then went abroad. A new estate were the house are well built and occupied. A 15 minute walk from an Aldi and Super Valu as well as a petrol station. Not a bad spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Hi Premier Girl,

Try loughreaonline for info on clubs and societies in Loughrea. One very popular activity is the Fit for Life running group, think they run 2 - 3 evenings around town, easy enough to tell when as there's usually dozens of people chasing around in high-vis gear.

On camogie clubs, there's Shamrocksand Kilconieron have a team as well, can't say it's a scene I'm very familiar with though.

In terms of estates, it's personal preference really - 2 fully finished and well occupied estates are Droim na Cille and Ard Breeda. A quick look on daft and google maps will give you an idea of the town. For me, anywhere within short walking distance to shops/pubs is good, get to leave the car at home every now and then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 mamabear82

You've probably moved here by now, hope you are settled in well. i moved here from dublin in dec 2009 bought a new house near aldi and supervalu. The town is a great spot and definitely great for kiddies, ive a 7 and a 3 year old so not quite at the secondary school age yet. if ever you want to go for a coffee or get to know more people get in touch i know it can be very daunting moving to a new town. best of luck x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Premier Girl

Hi, unfortunately due to work the move didn't happen yet. I am looking at a house in Jarlin Drive next week. Could anyone give me a heads up on the estate? Many thanks 😀

Advertisement