Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epson SX5445W printer not working on eircom router but does on UPC's one

• 03-09-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've been asked a question and, for the life of me, can't figure out a 100% accurate answer.

"I can't print the the Epson SX445W printer over WIFI from my iPhone/iPad in one house but if I move the printer to another house, everything works."

Now, I asked all the usual questions : WIFI setup in both houses ok. Are you sure the iPhone.iPad are on wifi etc

The only difference is that in the house where it doesn't work, they use an standard eircom router [Netopia?] and in the house where it does work, they use a UPC standard cisco.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this would be other than eircom use cheap as chips shoite routers.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

maybe try and turn the firewall off on the eircom modem and see if that works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Unfortunately, I can't "try" anything. The person who asked me is "The Boss. I'd rather not give him 50 things to try in the hopes that one of them would work.

I don't see the firewall being the issue. WIFI is on the LAN side of the firewall.
    Sort of toying with the idea of just giving him one of our in house aDSL routers and be done with it. eircom routers are plain shoite.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The printer may not be assigning the correct IP for eircom. Say the UPC modem uses 192.168.0.10, and the Eircom uses 192.168.1.10, both are different IPs. I think those Epsons by default use a static IP address. As your boss to look for DHCP in the printers network settings and see if it helps. Fwiw my parents have a epson wifi printer working fine on a eircom Netopia, never any issues

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

yoyo wrote: »
    The printer may not be assigning the correct IP for eircom. Say the UPC modem uses 192.168.0.10, and the Eircom uses 192.168.1.10, both are different IPs. I think those Epsons by default use a static IP address. As your boss to look for DHCP in the printers network settings and see if it helps. Fwiw my parents have a epson wifi printer working fine on a eircom Netopia, never any issues

Nick

Nick,

Nice one. That sounds like a VERY plausible answer. I'll mention it to him tomorrow. Fingers crossed that he's a little technical.

Advertisement