Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Game in Dublin....?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone think we'll ever see this in our lifetime?

I don't see why not from a logistical point of view - they could easily build a court in the O2 and sell that out in no-time to Irish and European fans. Capacity wise I think you could maybe puch the seating to about 15,000-17,000.

I've been to games NBA games in London and Paris, and the arenas weren't even that big. Plus some NBA teams don't even have that capacity.

The Celtics with their Irish roots/heritage etc. would be an obvious choice. Think of the tourism boost and the coverage it would generate. I mean if UFC can sell out in the O2 (fastest ever European sell-out too I read at the time) and with the success of the American Football at the weekend you'd think more people would put a plan together to make this happen...

Any thoughs? The Gathering???!!

P.S. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up!

P.P.S. No "Timmy McCarthy to emcee" jokes please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

- would love to see it, and it's a nice idea given the Celtics ethnic association, but it's all about market size, isn't it?
    Basketball Ireland could do with you Suki :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Would have to be the Celtics playing in the game anyway. Don't think there would be much of a reason for any other team to play here. We really aren't much of a basketball hub compared to other European locations. It's not like the NFL international series which is trying to improve the image of the sport overseas, basketball is already one of the most popular team sports worldwide.

It's possible but not this season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I just keep hearing reasons why it can't happen, as opposed to why it can. :(

Some reasons I think it would make sense:
    • Europe is viewed as one country by most Americans (NBA included) so if you can have a game in London or Paris or Barcelona, why not Dublin?
    • Can someone honestly tell me that it wouldn't be a sell-out? 15,000 tickets? Come on. Between Americans tourists, US ex-pats living in Europe, Irish b-ball fans and European fans catching a short flight to see an NBA game it woul sell out
    • Dublin is a European Capital and is roughly the same flight time to the East Coast of the US as it is from East-West in the US
    • The PR this would generate for the NBA, the Celtics organisation and "magical mystical Ireland" would be enormous
    • The World Championships are in Spain in 2014. One of the hubs is the Canary Islands (Las Palmas). Now if they can do that with all the logistical problems that will entail, we can host an NBA game in Dublin where we have direct flights to Boston, NY, Chicago, Washington and even Charlotte now!
    • We have an arena that would be suitable (The O2). Whilst not a purose built arena, it could easily be transformed - look at the NBA London games or go back to Summer 2012 when the US team played some games in Radio City Music Hall in NY prior to the World Championships
    BELIEVE. This just needs some imagination, some cash, and someone to do a lot of the groundwork (not me!!!!!!).

I might write a letter to Leo Varadkar............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I just keep hearing reasons why it can't happen, as opposed to why it can. :(

Some reasons I think it would make sense:
    • Europe is viewed as one country by most Americans (NBA included) so if you can have a game in London or Paris or Barcelona, why not Dublin?
    • Can someone honestly tell me that it wouldn't be a sell-out? 15,000 tickets? Come on. Between Americans tourists, US ex-pats living in Europe, Irish b-ball fans and European fans catching a short flight to see an NBA game it woul sell out
    • Dublin is a European Capital and is roughly the same flight time to the East Coast of the US as it is from East-West in the US
    • The PR this would generate for the NBA, the Celtics organisation and "magical mystical Ireland" would be enormous
    • The World Championships are in Spain in 2014. One of the hubs is the Canary Islands (Las Palmas). Now if they can do that with all the logistical problems that will entail, we can host an NBA game in Dublin where we have direct flights to Boston, NY, Chicago, Washington and even Charlotte now!
    • We have an arena that would be suitable (The O2). Whilst not a purose built arena, it could easily be transformed - look at the NBA London games or go back to Summer 2012 when the US team played some games in Radio City Music Hall in NY prior to the World Championships
    BELIEVE. This just needs some imagination, some cash, and someone to do a lot of the groundwork (not me!!!!!!).

I might write a letter to Leo Varadkar............

Did you ever get round to writing that letter? Would love to see it, you should get on to Paudie O’Connor , he's the kind of guy who could get this off the ground. He brought the first american ballers to Ireland, he dared to dream and kick started a glorious time for basketball in this country. As well as that he is considered one of the best Irish born basketball players ever, and was even selected for a European all star game. The man basically usurped Basketball Ireland after they said the americans couldn't play, and organised a massive basketball tournament , Vincent's, Demons, Killester and Marian all took part. TV coverage and a sponsor were landed for the event.

In an interview with the examiner last year his take on basketball in Ireland was this.
    " The big disappointment is to know where the game is now. The people at home can be so small-minded. They don’t get just how big the game is worldwide."

He's still thinking big too.

" I tell you, if I was over there now, I’d put an Irish team into Europe. We’d pay to get quality american college guys,and some Irish kids if they were up to the standard, and bring in the likes of Real Madrid. What’s the biggest indoor stadium in Ireland? The 02, right? I guarantee you, I would fill that motherf**** tomorrow morning! Think I couldn’t? We’re Irish, man. Two flies going up a wall, we’re either betting on it or want to bet on it. That’s who we are, that’s our nature. You don’t think they’d want to see top international ball? "

You might laugh, but this guy could actually make things happen. Think Butty Sugrue, but with more class, plus the guy knows the game. Ah well, its nice to dream

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I love the cut of Paudie's jib, he's a man after my own heart, but I think it's just that: a dream. Basketball has just never caught on here. It's too complicated for the layman to pick up and people are currently getting into NFL big, so fans like us have to wait until that has its turn, so to speak, before the NBA even stands a chance. Never mind the fact that it remained a niche sport here (despite a slight bump of interest) when the best player who'll ever play the game was active.

Even comparing the NFL with NBA and using my housemates/friends as a barometer for how they could respectively take off: we started an NFL fantasy league this year and just about everyone in our group became a fan. When people like myself and particularly a HUGE NFL fan in our group sat them down and explained it simply, they were hooked. Aside from showpiece dunks etc and the odd explosive play, doing the same with NBA just doesn't happen. People who can't read the play just find it boring. There's no easy hook, like there is in NFL which can be explained by "That guy wants to throw the ball to those guys...and if he doesn't he's ****ed!" that makes everything in the game interested. Each play in football boils down to IRA bashings with bells-on. Each play in basketball is like a high-octane chess game; and some of its own top analysts can have certain complexities go right over their heads.

Then you've got complaints like there's too many games so, ultimately, each game has less at stake. Even when it gets interesting in the play-offs. So following the NBA becomes a job. I can't argue with that...I agree, to an extent. I've found it a slog this season, for example, not watching nearly as much as I'd ideally want to. There are only so many hours in the day. I just see the pay-off as worth it so I persist even though these things also niggle with me.

If you're a new fan, you pretty much sit around for two and a half hours and wait for something special to happen...and often it doesn't. Even if it does, it'll mean next to nothing by the following week. The feedback I always get is, "Why would we not just watch the 4th quarter since it only gets interesting then anyway?" And I never have a good enough answer for them. I have answers that make sense to me, but I love and understand the game to begin with. I grew up playing. These people didn't, so I got nothing.

Who knows, though? It was a genius move on Sky's part to fill the NFL hole with NBA and could pay off, especially once the play-offs start. We can dream. But it'd be foolish to let your hopes grow any further than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I've never really been that interested in heading over to the NBA games in London, so while it would be a fun novelty to have one in Dublin, it's not something I'm really dreaming about. I just think you lose a lot when you take them out of their natural location. You don't get the fans who've been following them all their lives, you don't get the historic stadium. Unless I had courtside seats or something, I'd be just as happy watching it on TV. A bit like if you played a Premiership soccer match over in the States, it wouldn't be the same.

I'd be more interested in a European NBA team or division, which Stern has talked about. I think that would be really interesting. The European teams would have their own identity, would probably attract more European players, and I could see there being an extra edge to the European vs. American games. You'd get a proper atmosphere at them. I don't think these transplanted games are the same thing. They're more marketing tools, which is important as well, I guess, but not that interesting to me.

Yep, wrote the letter and sent it. Not even a PFO by way of return....what a surprise.:rolleyes:

Might try again via another route though.....I mean since The Gathering has been such a huge success to date:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

padraig_f wrote: »
    I've never really been that interested in heading over to the NBA games in London, so while it would be a fun novelty to have one in Dublin, it's not something I'm really dreaming about. I just think you lose a lot when you take them out of their natural location. You don't get the fans who've been following them all their lives, you don't get the historic stadium. Unless I had courtside seats or something, I'd be just as happy watching it on TV. A bit like if you played a Premiership soccer match over in the States, it wouldn't be the same.

I'd be more interested in a European NBA team or division, which Stern has talked about. I think that would be really interesting. The European teams would have their own identity, would probably attract more European players, and I could see there being an extra edge to the European vs. American games. You'd get a proper atmosphere at them. I don't think these transplanted games are the same thing. They're more marketing tools, which is important as well, I guess, but not that interesting to me.

I've no problem travelling to games if the teams are worthwhile going to see. Last year we had New Jersey v Toronto and this year we had the Knicks v Detriot. 3 of those 4 teams were not play-off teams that year. and the quality of fare on offer reflected that.

I contrast that with the Atlanta v Orlando games in 1993 which were amazing - both teams were real challengers to win it all, both 50+ wins that year. And both teams PLAYED to win. They were great games and a big deal at the time. And you saw a young Shaq and Penny Hardaway tear it up against Dominique Wilkins & Co. I wrote about these games somewhere on boards previously........

Advertisement