Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else appealing grant?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I got refused the grant, but i've sent in an appeal which was received today ( I called to confirm)
    so has anyone else appealed and have you heard anything yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    I got refused the grant, but i've sent in an appeal which was received today ( I called to confirm)
    so has anyone else appealed and have you heard anything yet?

Im appealing as well, sent my letter on friday and they recieved it yesterday, the girl on the phone yesterday she would be surprised if I heard before the 30 days were up as there are alot of appeals in

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

Im appealing as well, sent my letter on friday and they recieved it yesterday, the girl on the phone yesterday she would be surprised if I heard before the 30 days were up as there are alot of appeals in

well hopefully it wnt take too long for them to figure it all out.. if they knew how to do their jobs in the first place there wouldn't be so many appeals :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fifipie_d

Do ye mind if i ask at what stage were your applications denied? Was it after the initial application or after ye had received the grant pack and sent back the requested copies of evidence?

fifipie_d wrote: »
    Do ye mind if i ask at what stage were your applications denied? Was it after the initial application or after ye had received the grant pack and sent back the requested copies of evidence?

mine was the initial application but it seems a mistake was made but just waiting to see now

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fifipie_d

mine was the initial application but it seems a mistake was made but just waiting to see now

Ive just sent my pack back. But considering the hassle i had with just getting documents and just having basic dealings with the Revenue and Social Welfare, im not very confident in the SUSI either. I just cant shake the feeling that they're going to make something that should be very straight forward into months of sending the same documents back and forth and many angry phone calls !

I hope you get your grant sorted and quickly too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

fifipie_d wrote: »

at the intital stage, I registered for college yesterday and the women in charge said I was the 5th person that morning who was appealing

I called today and was told my appeal had been reviewed today and now is waiting for the 2nd evaluation.... wonder how many times it will need to be evaluated

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

What sort of mistake were made? I always thought it was clear enough how the grant system worked. You know by doing a bit of reading what you are entitled to, what is it that they managed to make a mistake with?

Not that them making a mistake would be any great surprise.

What sort of mistake were made? I always thought it was clear enough how the grant system worked. You know by doing a bit of reading what you are entitled to, what is it that they managed to make a mistake with?

Not that them making a mistake would be any great surprise.

well im over 23, I left a course without completing the course, that was 5+years ago so therefore I should get a grant under second chance student

from the student grant scheme

"(6) A mature student pursuing an approved course following a break in studies of at least five years, in circumstances where the mature student previously
    attended, but did not successfully complete, a course and is returning in order
    to pursue an approved course in the relevant academic year, shall be known as
    a “second chance student”. "

Also I have done plenty of research, most before I originally applied, I even called the Dept. of Education to confirm I would be eligible. I am also getting fee's covered by the college under the second chance student and BTEA which have both been approved

well im over 23, I left a course without completing the course, that was 5+years ago so therefore I should get a grant under second chance student

from the student grant scheme

"(6) A mature student pursuing an approved course following a break in studies of at least five years, in circumstances where the mature student previously
    attended, but did not successfully complete, a course and is returning in order
    to pursue an approved course in the relevant academic year, shall be known as
    a “second chance student”. "

Also I have done plenty of research, most before I originally applied, I even called the Dept. of Education to confirm I would be eligible. I am also getting fee's covered by the college under the second chance student and BTEA which have both been approved

double post

• Advertisement

Well just an oversight by someone being lazy, but is it not the grant system that approve you for your fees? Not the college.

Well just an oversight by someone being lazy, but is it not the grant system that approve you for your fees? Not the college.

I thought that but I got a letter from the college outlining the contribution charge and the tuition fee charge and it said the tuition fee charge was covered

Ya that is just an assumption on behalf of the college I would assume. You probably mentioned you were eligible for a grant?

I wouldnt be worried anyway, I have seen plenty of things overlooked but once they are pointed out its fine. Don't expect them to rush themselves though.

You do also know that your grant will only be your fees and nothing else as you are going to get BTEA.

yeah i know about the BTEA/Maintenance I only applied for the contribution to be paid, surely if they thought I was eligible for the grant to pay student contribution they wouldn't have sent me a bill for it?

aw no sorry I forgot when I spoke to Dept. of Education they told me it was up to college on tuition charge

Advertisement