Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiotic parking Raleigh Row (Jes Primary)

Options
  • 03-09-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

You'd know the school's are back....

Some clown decided to park her Volvo on double yellow's opposite the Jes primary (where it narrows), blocking a Corpo bin truck.

Cause a blockade up nearly as far as Ark Vet Clinic (as people this far back had the sense to turn down Palmyra Park.

There was about 10 car loads of people (inc. the Corpo workers) standing round the car just waiting for the lady to come back (One person recognised the car and confirmed it was a woman driver).... i'd say she got quite the ear full

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dunno what your point is, you know well that this is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

snubbleste wrote: »
    Dunno what your point is, you know well that this is normal.

I guess my point is to warn others that idiotic parking takes place down there during the school run, so best avoid

Is that good enough for you? :rolleyes:

Och! But everyone already knows this.. little darlings at school = free for all parking.
    At least that Scoil is on a minor road unlike the Pres, Fhursa, St Pats where there is equality of abysmal parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

A situation not just studiously ignored but actively condoned by the enforcers and other 'interested' parties, in my experience.

OP, please contact the Gardai and City Council anyway. You need to put it on the record. They are fond of saying that they receive no complaints, or that you're the only person in all of history who's ever mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's common enough and not much that can be done as it's the same all over the city, county and country outside schools every morning and afternoon.
    It doesn't help of course that some people just leave their car blocking others but "sure, I'll only be 2 minutes".
    Hopefully in this instance she'll know to park better next time.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    It's common enough and not much that can be done as it's the same all over

I strongly disagree.

It's the same all over precisely because little or nothing is done about it.

Our Irish culture of non-compliance is related to our Irish culture of lax enforcement which is related to our Irish culture of non-accountability, and so on up and down the line.

Think of any law* on the Irish Statute Book and you will find no shortage of people willing to break it, and likewise no shortage of enforcers and citizens who really don't care whether that law is enforced or not.

Things like idiotic parking are just normal everyday transgressions, but IMO the same principle applies to the big things too.

Speaking of such everyday casual lawbreaking, I was on Silver Strand with my kids recently. One of them is very scared of dogs. There were several people walking their dogs on the beach, and two of the canines suddenly started a big scrap. This prompted me to check whether there was any Bye-law signage, and sure enough there were two big notices stating precisely when and how it was permitted to have dogs on the beach. Nobody was taking a blind bit of notice of the notices of course, including the lifeguard on duty, who is presumably a Council employee.

It's the Irish way, of course, but people's attitude will not change until our actual laws are actually enforced. I was in Oz for a few months earlier in the year, and by golly do they let you know when you're out of line. Boards' charters are better enforced than many of our laws...;)

*Not serious crime, like murder, rape etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I strongly disagree.

It's the same all over precisely because little or nothing is done about it.

Our Irish culture of non-compliance is related to our Irish culture of lax enforcement which is related to our Irish culture of non-accountability, and so on up and down the line.

Think of any law* on the Irish Statute Book and you will find no shortage of people willing to break it, and likewise no shortage of enforcers and citizens who really don't care whether that law is enforced or not.

Things like idiotic parking are just normal everyday transgressions, but IMO the same principle applies to the big things too.

Speaking of such everyday casual lawbreaking, I was on Silver Strand with my kids recently. One of them is very scared of dogs. There were several people walking their dogs on the beach, and two of the canines suddenly started a big scrap. This prompted me to check whether there was any Bye-law signage, and sure enough there were two big notices stating precisely when and how it was permitted to have dogs on the beach. Nobody was taking a blind bit of notice of the notices of course, including the lifeguard on duty, who is presumably a Council employee.

It's the Irish way, of course, but people's attitude will not change until our actual laws are actually enforced. I was in Oz for a few months earlier in the year, and by golly do they let you know when you're out of line. Boards' charters are better enforced than many of our laws...;)

*Not serious crime, like murder, rape etc.

Very well put.
    Every word is true and I'm sure they ring bells with most people.

It's just a shame that the people who can do something about the breaking of laws are unlikely to read this.

Very well put.
    Every word is true and I'm sure they ring bells with most people.
    It's just a shame that the people who can do something about the breaking of laws are unlikely to read this.

The enforcement authorities are fully aware of it. Sure Garda/Council staff have kids who go to school, attend church services, go to sports events, go to retail establishments...witness this/engage in the activity themselves for the last few decades and do almost nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Leave a passive aggressive note on the car if they do it again. Or post on the internet about it somewhere and maybe something will happen.

Or walk to collect your kid from school and park further away. They have legs and a lot of energy at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Leave a passive aggressive note on the car if they do it again. Or post on the internet about it somewhere and maybe something will happen.

Or walk to collect your kid from school and park further away. They have legs and a lot of energy at that age.

I don't have kids
    I was walking
    I wasn't parking anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder how she - and the mods - would react to a picture posted here?

Just saying, like ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If it is a clear one showing exactly what you described already then...... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

The enforcement authorities are fully aware of it. Sure Garda/Council staff have kids who go to school, attend church services, go to sports events, go to retail establishments...witness this/engage in the activity themselves for the last few decades and do almost nothing!

Everyone is all for Law enforement when it comes to other people but not when it comes to themselves or their families, bet everyone on this thread has done the same at some stage, the design and location of these schools dont leave people with too many options but some people take the piss. Bet many of these Soccer Moms would be straight on the phone to Joe Joe Duffy to complain about the garda who tickets them and Joe would lap it up. Then folks would come on here and say have the gardai got nothing better to do. You cant win!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You'd know the school's are back....

Some clown decided to park her Volvo on double yellow's opposite the Jes primary (where it narrows), blocking a Corpo bin truck.

Cause a blockade up nearly as far as Ark Vet Clinic (as people this far back had the sense to turn down Palmyra Park.

There was about 10 car loads of people (inc. the Corpo workers) standing round the car just waiting for the lady to come back (One person recognised the car and confirmed it was a woman driver).... i'd say she got quite the ear full

you need great nerves and patience to go along Raleigh Row when school is starting of finishing. the road is simply not built for SUVs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Then folks would come on here and say have the gardai got nothing better to do. You cant win!

Galway has Traffic Wardens who have nothing better to do!

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Why not send in the clampers, Joe loves the clampers

Why not send in the clampers, Joe loves the clampers
    Cos a) the Council no longer clamps on public roads and b) the vehicle would be left there.
    We need more tow trucks (and actual enforcement)!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I lived on Raleigh Row. It's a daily thing. It sucks but then I'd always avoid school areas during the morning, lunch and evening. If you go past Taylors Hill, up by Highfield etc. it's the same. Planning was never Galways strong point.

I'm sure you're right but how many letters/'phone calls do the Garda/Council receive about it. Not many I would assume because as another poster has said, people find an alternative route.

If this is a regular inconvenience to you (not you personally snubbleste) then why not get the 'phone number for the nearest Garda station and ring them AT THE TIME YOU ARE OBSTRUCTED and ask what they are going to do about it. If they do nothing then you have a legitimate reason to put in an official complaint. Perhaps then things might start to change.

One can but hope.

JustMary wrote: »
    I wonder how she - and the mods - would react to a picture posted here?
    It'd be fine to post a pic, as long as it's clear what's going on in it.
    There is a massive general "bad parking" thread in Motors forum, been going for yonks.

• Advertisement

It'd be fine to post a pic, as long as it's clear what's going on in it.
    There is a massive general "bad parking" thread in Motors forum, been going for yonks.
    That thread has gone 'missing'.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055438379&page=443
    I see it was locked close to 500 pages.
    Anyway, pics of bad parking isn't generally a problem if the pic is descriptive. That said, there's no need to turn this thread into a pic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Sponge Bob wrote: »

On a side note, passed along by Hynes Building to-day, had to do 3 loops while waiting on the wife come out of a shop.

Cars parked all along the road on double yellow lines, vans/trucks had trouble getting through. Traffic warden walks past them all - not one ticket issued, he didn't even ask them to move on.:confused:

If anyone wants to see excellent examples of bad parking (that sounds like a contradiction) have a look at :
    www.youparklikeanasshole.com it's an American site but a good place to while away the time :-)

Meant to add that there are pics from all round the world I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Well just back from the front line after delivering the kid to the Jez and no obvious problems this morning. There was even a truck that managed to edge past. The only was a black one with a bicycle rack this time parked more sensibly.

Never mind trucks getting past. I've seen it where it's been impossible for even a small car to get through. I actually don't understand why people feel the need to try and park outside the school. There are any number of places to park within a two minute walk or less. Would that kill them?

I subscribe to the theory that people are stupid and selfish. It may be a minor irritation but it's completely unneccessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Fuinseog wrote: »
    you need great nerves and patience to go along Raleigh Row when school is starting of finishing. the road is simply not built for SUVs.

True - it was walking, cycling, donkey carts and the odd car when "the West" was built.

Where are the majority of students coming from who attend the Jes National School?
    Where is a good drop off point close by(within 250m) where children could be dropped off and could walk the last leg?
    It would make the area around the National school much safer for children who are cycling and walking but would need 100% buy in from all parents who have children attending the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Sea Road, often used it. There's usually spaces and if the big gate is open in the senior school, they can and do walk through. If not then a walk around by the old crane is safe enough. The only road to cross then is opposite the school which as we know is nearly gridlocked at that point anyway.

The students come from all over Galway and beyond but no doubt most from nearby Salthill, Taylor's hill etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055438379&page=443
    I see it was locked close to 500 pages.
    Anyway, pics of bad parking isn't generally a problem if the pic is descriptive. That said, there's no need to turn this thread into a pic thread.

I sorely miss that thread, since I now have no outlet for my Obnoxious Parking pix.

It's worth noting that the thread was closed forever when the Mods got totally fed up of the workload from all the complaints generated (a subject dear to your heart ;) ).

There's a great need IMO for a place to 'name' and shame our many obnoxious parkers, but sadly it seems as if the Boards format (or culture) is not conducive.

paulgalway wrote: »
    On a side note, passed along by Hynes Building to-day, had to do 3 loops while waiting on the wife come out of a shop.

Cars parked all along the road on double yellow lines, vans/trucks had trouble getting through. Traffic warden walks past them all - not one ticket issued, he didn't even ask them to move on.:confused:

St. Augustine Street?

If so, par for the course. When wheeling a buggy I am regularly obstructed around there. The area inside the stone bollards is private (owned by O'Malley's) so there are often vehicles parked there. When there are vehicles parked outside the bollards up on the paved area there is often no room for a buggy to pass.

I've seen the wardens stand there with arms folded chatting to people. When I asked one why he was not tackling the illegal parkers he said he was not going to ticket people collecting their dole.

So there you have it: your tax is going to pay public service workers NOT to do their job when they don't feel like it.

By way of contrast, you will see them ticketing motorists parked in the Pay & Display zones on the same street, usually for Motor Tax offences and expired parking discs.

Everyone is all for Law enforement when it comes to other people but not when it comes to themselves or their families, bet everyone on this thread has done the same at some stage, the design and location of these schools dont leave people with too many options but some people take the piss. Bet many of these Soccer Moms would be straight on the phone to Joe Joe Duffy to complain about the garda who tickets them and Joe would lap it up. Then folks would come on here and say have the gardai got nothing better to do. You cant win!

Being a warden or a Garda is not about winning popularity.

Ticket the lawbreakers and feck the begrudgers, I say.

All too often I've had Gardai and wardens tell me unequivocally that they're "not going to do anything about it", in some cases precisely because they don't "like" issuing Fixed Charge Notices for parking offences and such. Apparently my dislike of anti-social behaviour such as footpath obstruction counts for nothing...

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I sorely miss that thread, since I now have no outlet for my Obnoxious Parking pix.

It's worth noting that the thread was closed forever when the Mods got totally fed up of the workload from all the complaints generated (a subject dear to your heart ;) ).

There's a great need IMO for a place to 'name' and shame our many obnoxious parkers, but sadly it seems as if the Boards format (or culture) is not conducive.

St. Augustine Street?

If so, par for the course. When wheeling a buggy I am regularly obstructed around there. The area inside the stone bollards is private (owned by O'Malley's) so there are often vehicles parked there. When there are vehicles parked outside the bollards up on the paved area there is often no room for a buggy to pass.

I've seen the wardens stand there with arms folded chatting to people. When I asked one why he was not tackling the illegal parkers he said he was not going to ticket people collecting their dole.

So there you have it: your tax is going to pay public service workers NOT to do their job when they don't feel like it.

By way of contrast, you will see them ticketing motorists parked in the Pay & Display zones on the same street, usually for Motor Tax offences and expired parking discs.

Being a warden or a Garda is not about winning popularity.

Ticket the lawbreakers and feck the begrudgers, I say.

All too often I've had Gardai and wardens tell me unequivocally that they're "not going to do anything about it", in some cases precisely because they don't "like" issuing Fixed Charge Notices for parking offences and such. Apparently my dislike of anti-social behaviour such as footpath obstruction counts for nothing...

Everything isnt always black and white as some people would like to protray, I've given out my fair share of tickets and seized many cars but I also reserve my right to use decretion where appropiate. There are many people out there with agendas who like to use every agency possible to push theirs. Thats fine when the agenda is a good one but in many cases its vindictive (not all). I've met many many people who complained to me about parking only to find them double parking themselves not long afterwards. For example I was in the recent past approched by a regularily concerned citizen to ticket a person who was illegally parked outside a chemist on a double yellow line, I had attended to a sudden death at the drivers house weeks earlier in very sad circumstances. I hang my head in shame and say I just politely cautioned them but I'm sure the concerned citizen thought I neglected my duty. When I say "you cant win" I certainly never meant a popularity contest but decency and fairness are things you like to achieve where possible.

• Advertisement

Everything isnt always black and white as some people would like to protray, I've given out my fair share of tickets and seized many cars but I also reserve my right to use decretion where appropiate. There are many people out there with agendas who like to use every agency possible to push theirs. Thats fine when the agenda is a good one but in many cases its vindictive (not all). I've met many many people who complained to me about parking only to find them double parking themselves not long afterwards*. For example I was in the recent past approched by a regularily concerned citizen to ticket a person who was illegally parked outside a chemist on a double yellow line, I had attended to a sudden death at the drivers house weeks earlier in very sad circumstances. I hang my head in shame and say I just politely cautioned them but I'm sure the concerned citizen thought I neglected my duty. When I say "you cant win" I certainly never meant a popularity contest but decency and fairness are things you like to achieve where possible.

To some of the above: perhaps.

In my my experience, though, motorists' sad stories and pleas are rated higher by the enforcers than those of pedestrians.

Often the enforcers seem very willing to give "leeway" (actual quote from a Garda) to illegal parkers, for example, but seem very reluctant to accommodate pedestrians. Indeed they will often strongly defend the motorists.

That has been my repeated experience as a pedestrian, often when pushing a buggy. Some of the Garda excuses I've been given spring to mind: "but they have their hazard warning lights on!" (cars obstructing the footpath opposite UHG); "they probably think they're being tidy" (construction company vehicles obstructing both footpaths along Maunsell's Road); "we don't like to ticket people [sic] on a family day out" (dozens of cars obstructing the footpath in the Dalysfort Road area); "there are no double yellow lines there" (footpaths and cycle lanes obstructed during two different public events in Salthill); "would you not agree that it's a special occasion?" (long line of cars obstructing the footpath along a dangerous stretch of Taylor's Hill). And so on, with rare exceptions.

* You're right about vindictiveness and/or hypocrisy in this context. I know of two people who were very active and outspoken in their neighbourhood about rampant illegal parking. I saw one recently double parked on a footpath (ie two cars on the pavement side-by-side) outside his house, and once had a conversation with the other about the problem of obnoxious parking in her estate, while she stood beside her car which was obstructing the pavement. Some people want AGS and the Local Authority to deter illegal parking in their neighbourhood with the sole purpose of making room for their own obnoxious parking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement