Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiotic parking Raleigh Row (Jes Primary)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The area was ticketed twice yesterday. First pass was at 11am around the area in question.The second pass was later on after the 2:30pm primary school pickup but before the secondary quagmire develops on Sea Road, this focused on Sea Road. To miss one open goal is unfortunate, to miss two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Nicely observed.*

I forgot to mention earlier that Cllr Padraig Conneely, who happens to be the chair of the Joint Policing Committee, has lent his weight to local residents' campaign to have the rampant illegal parking dealt with. This was highlighted in the local papers, but I have no link.

Perhaps this had something to do with the exquisitely timed ticketing...

*Verifiable, btw, just in case it's queried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

A couple of years ago a school principle in Galway got sick of the willy nilly parking at his school. He first sent out a note to parents about parking in the church car park (with plenty of room) right beside his school instead. He advised that if it continued he'd contact a traffic warden.

True to form, plenty of parents took no heed, so true to his word, he contacted the traffic warden to post tickets, after about two to three days the parents got the message. It'd be a great earner for the council, and not cause the same consternation as the house hold charge;).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Nicely observed.*

I forgot to mention earlier that Cllr Padraig Conneely, who happens to be the chair of the Joint Policing Committee, has lent his weight to local residents' campaign to have the rampant illegal parking dealt with. This was highlighted in the local papers, but I have no link.

Perhaps this had something to do with the exquisitely timed ticketing...

*Verifiable, btw, just in case it's queried?
    I witnessed the pink paper party with my own eyes.

I saw Conneely's photo op in the Sentinel and noted that this time, he was wise enough to make sure the Passat wasn't in shot, parked up on double yellows like on a previous campaign.

Greaney wrote: »
    ... not cause the same consternation ...

Tis all consternation, chronic consternation, I reckon. :)

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    I witnessed the pink paper party with my own eyes.

I saw Conneely's photo op in the Sentinel and noted that this time, he was wise enough to make sure the Passat wasn't in shot, parked up on double yellows like on a previous campaign.

Not doubting it for a minute, just wondering whether there might be independent evidence.

Pink paper means it was the Wardens doing the ticketing. When AGS issue Fixed Charge Notices there is no official paper of any colour left on the car.

As for the, er, inconsistencies in the behaviour of some interested parties, I have witnessed same myself, eg during election campaigns. While a certain Councillor was Mayor, it was alleged that he claimed "the [parking] law doesn't apply to me".

It is ever thus in this here town. It's why I drive, park and cycle like the most obedient of nuns (or bishops), ie fear of being caught in an embarrassing situation. Some people cannot be embarrassed, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

What I do not understand is why the council do not put up signs which are very clear that this is a one way street. Again today caught a car on my phone camera which was going the wrong way up the street.

The lorries for the building site also always come up here which is surely dangerous not to mention the fact that the one that delivered the trusses the other day had several tyres that had no thread on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There are signs there already.
    Clearly marked on the road surface. Anyone who has been deemed eligible by the State to drive is fully aware what the markings signify.

What's the parking situation like at the minute when the schools open and close?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Could do with one of these signs at Raleigh Row that are in a few locations in Dublin. In Belgium - nearly every one way street is two way for cyclists.

Checkout:
    http://cyclingindublin.com/2012/08/24/cycling-against-traffic-legally/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

snubbleste wrote: »
    There are signs there already.
    Clearly marked on the road surface. Anyone who has been deemed eligible by the State to drive is fully aware what the markings signify.

What's the parking situation like at the minute when the schools open and close?

trouble with the signs including the one written on the road is the way that you turn in from the Small Crane end at an angle. Also telling that there is a sign pointing down towards the Small Crane end warning of a construction site ahead when nobody should be going that way.

The parking is a bit better than last year but there are still plenty of Parents who park and block the path forcing pedestrians onto the road.

Still no wardens around when they are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The lorries for the building site also always come up here which is surely dangerous not to mention the fact that the one that delivered the trusses the other day had several tyres that had no thread on them.

What did the guards say when you called them about it?

What I do not understand is why the council do not put up signs which are very clear that this is a one way street. Again today caught a car on my phone camera which was going the wrong way up the street.

Traffic signs and road markings have little or no serious meaning in Galway City. An example: double yellow lines mean no parking at any time, right? If so, why does AGS feel the need to put out traffic cones along DYLs on certain occasions?

Could do with one of these signs at Raleigh Row that are in a few locations in Dublin. In Belgium - nearly every one way street is two way for cyclists.

Check out: http://cyclingindublin.com/2012/08/24/cycling-against-traffic-legally/

The City Development Plan 2011-2017 (page 35) includes the following objective: "implement two-way access to cyclists on one-way streets where feasible."

The legislation allowing such exemptions has been in place since at least 1998, yet there isn't a single one-way street in the entire city, that I am aware of, where cyclists are allowed two-way access.

The City Council has made it illegal to cycle the most direct route to the Jes Primary from the Henry Street/St. John's Terrace/New Street West direction, while school children cycling from the West (eg the Taylor's Hill/St. Mary's Road direction, via Palmyra Avenue and Raleigh Row) are legally prohibited from cycling back the way the came, and instead have to walk the most direct route home or else take a detour via Sea Road and the Crescent.

And this is completely normal in Galway!

Legislation making it illegal to park on footpaths has been in place for a similar length of time, and one-way restrictions for cars has been standard for a lot longer than that.

Despite this, the Council continues to ignore not only the potential for cyclist exemptions but also the daily (and completely normal) obstruction of footpaths by motorists around schools.

Could this inaction possibly suggest a certain corporate mindset towards active travel to school, despite all the rhetoric in the CDP?

Meanwhile, some Councillors (who seem to have nothing to say about motorists driving on footpaths) see cyclists as the real danger:
    CALL FOR BLITZ TO PREVENT CYCLING ON PROM

October 30, 2012 - 9:13am

A blitz is urgently required to clamp-down on cycling on the prom in Salthill.

That's according to Cllr Donal Lyons who says cyclists regularly travel along the route despite the operation of a bye-law which prohibits the activity.

Similar concerns have also been raised in Bohermore in the city where Cllr Michael Crowe says cycling on footpaths is a great concern for the elderly in the area.

This has been echoed by Cllr Padraig Conneely who says some cyclists travel through red lights and cycle down one-way streets in the wrong direction.

Speaking to Galway Bay fm news, Cllr Donal Lyons says the Salthill prom is a busy stretch and cyclists are posing a serious safety risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

God but there's an awful shower of whiney, grouchy, complaining.........people in Galway. If it isn't parking at schools, its parking at matches, the provision or removal of on street furniture, drinking, pubs being closed on good friday, people complaining about pubs being closed on good friday, 1am closing........etc etc etc etc ad nauseam

I gotta tell you that I've lived near several schools and pitches in Dublin - far busier than the Jes or Pearse Stadium (which rarely gets a crowd of more than 4,000 about 10 times a year). There's no protests from residents about the parking - which makes Galway parking look orderly btw, it's not uncommon to see an X5 stop in traffic with the blinkers on - they just get on with it because they know it's part and parcel of living in the area. I was talking to a lad that lives near parnell park, where they've just had the Dublin football final a couple of weeks ago and get big crowds mid week for matches under lights (god forbid that ever happens in Pearse stadium lads). There were thousands of cars in the area, parked up on the paths (one of the favourite bugbears of the anti car brigade) but no hassle from anyone.

antoobrien wrote: »
    God but there's an awful shower of whiney, grouchy, complaining.........people in Galway.

There were thousands of cars in the area, parked up on the paths (one of the favourite bugbears of the anti car brigade) but no hassle from anyone.

Complaining about complaining: sure it wouldn't be Boards without a bit of blinkered self-satisfaction on open display.

Thousands of cars driving up -- illegally -- on footpaths is a bog-standard Irish motoring practice that is a constant bugbear of pedestrians, parents pushing prams, visually-impaired persons, disabled people in wheelchairs and senior citizens who may need support to walk.

Allusions to law enforcement, and to legitimate objections from citizens concerned about law-breaking, as 'anti-car hassle' comes as no surprise, given the propensity for some to regard the enforcement of law such as long-standing EU Directives as "people coming into Galway [to] tell us how to run our bogs."

Thousands of cars driving up -- illegally -- on footpaths

You know, I've never seen a car driving on a footpath - I've seen them parked, but I don't know that many footpaths in Ireland wide enough to for a car to drive on. Perhaps you could post some video of this phenomenon.

As for this:
    Allusions to law enforcement, and to legitimate objections from citizens concerned about law-breaking

and this

Meanwhile, some Councillors (who seem to have nothing to say about motorists driving on footpaths) see cyclists as the real danger:
    CALL FOR BLITZ TO PREVENT CYCLING ON PROM

October 30, 2012 - 9:13am

A blitz is urgently required to clamp-down on cycling on the prom in Salthill.

That's according to Cllr Donal Lyons who says cyclists regularly travel along the route despite the operation of a bye-law which prohibits the activity.

well pot kettle black comes to mind.

If one wishes to complain about practice that one finds objectionable, then one should be prepared to hear about areas that do not protest about said practices.

Edit - let's try not to take this away from the parking issue, bugbears about the apparently invalid complaints about cycling belongs in another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You know double yellow lines means private reserved parking. That woman was on a mission and she took every precaution to ensure her children would not be late for school and she showed enterprise and quick reactions to the prevailing situation.

I'd be prepared to bet that any Eddie Stobart driver with an 65ft artic trailer would have made it through the gap, corpo driver ... :rolleyes:

You know, I've never seen a car driving on a footpath - I've seen them parked, but I don't know that many footpaths in Ireland wide enough to for a car to drive on. Perhaps you could post some video of this phenomenon.

As for this:

and this

Perhaps you could post a video of how cars can be parked in a place you don't drive to first. Some sort of Star Trek type beaming device, perhaps?

Or maybe those footpath parkers already own one of these:

1. pot kettle black comes to mind

2. If one wishes to complain about practice that one finds objectionable, then one should be prepared to hear about areas that do not protest about said practices.

3. Edit - let's try not to take this away from the parking issue, bugbears about the apparently invalid complaints about cycling belongs in another thread.

1. And also bog, perhaps?

2. Er, what? BTW: http://www.seanhaughey.com/gallery/3.pdf

3. I have no idea what you are referring to. Whatever it is, if you think it's suitable material for another thread then by all means bring it up there.

gbee wrote: »
    You know double yellow lines means private reserved parking.

As do public footpaths, apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No need for parked on a footpath generally drives onto the footpath. I personally have witnessed cars driving on the footpath at Woodquay, skipping a line of traffic so they can turn left to Dyke Road. That footpath is wide enough for a Clio. Same has happened at Dublin Road opposite the G.
    I think Iwannahurl has also posted an image of tyre tracks on a snow-dusted footpath.

No need for parked on a footpath generally drives onto the footpath. I personally have witnessed cars driving on the footpath at Woodquay, skipping a line of traffic so they can turn left to Dyke Road. That footpath is wide enough for a Clio. Same has happened at Dublin Road opposite the G.
    I think Iwannahurl has also posted an image of tyre tracks on a snow-dusted footpath.

Basic cop-on, isn't it? Self-evidently, motorists can't park on footpaths unless they drive up on them first.

Of course, some (too many, in Galway anyway) just drive on footpaths, with parking on them not being an immediate objective.

As you have acknowledged previously. the footpath at the junction of Kingston, Threadneedle Road, Bishop O'Donnell Road and Taylor's Hill is a favourite spot for a bit of pavement motoring.

Well-remembered re the "snow-dusted footpath". I thought it was a good example of the Irish footpath driving & parking phenomenon. One of the footpath driver-parkers in the neighbourhood pictured below used to drive her child about 300-350 metres to a childcare facility, mount the dished kerb at one end of a 30-40 metre stretch of footpath, park on the path, then exit using the dished kerb at the next junction. That means 10% of her gruelling 'commute' was spent driving on a footpath. Obviously very important to protect those shock absorbers at all costs!

OP-tracks.jpg

Kingston4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

God but there's an awful shower of whiney, grouchy, complaining.........people in Galway. If it isn't parking at schools, its parking at matches, the provision or removal of on street furniture, drinking, pubs being closed on good friday, people complaining about pubs being closed on good friday, 1am closing........etc etc etc etc ad nauseam

I gotta tell you that I've lived near several schools and pitches in Dublin - far busier than the Jes or Pearse Stadium (which rarely gets a crowd of more than 4,000 about 10 times a year). There's no protests from residents about

Well I'm glad to live in a city where people have the gumption to complain and take action to make the world a better place, rather than just complacently accepting anti-social behaviour that makes life difficult for other people.

No need for parked on a footpath generally drives onto the footpath.

The return of the pedant!

Nobody is disputing parking - driving along a footpath I'm disputing.
    I personally have witnessed cars driving on the footpath at Woodquay, skipping a line of traffic so they can turn left to Dyke Road. That footpath is wide enough for a Clio. Same has happened at Dublin Road opposite the G.

I'd love to see actual evidence of that, because there's no footpath in woodquay that I know you can get a whole car up on and drive on it continuously without hitting poles or something. The G I'm no sure sure about, I don't tend to be walking in that area much. I'd find it hard to believe it about the G as well.

As for the picture of the truck "driving" - I see a truck stopped, waiting for traffic to open up and attempting to ensure that there's sufficient space outside of it to ensure there's no blockage of traffic and leaving enough room for IWH to roll the pram along the inside.

The snow, I've done that with spare tires for fun.

Well I'm glad to live in a city where people have the gumption to complain and take action to make the world a better place, rather than just complacently accepting anti-social behaviour that makes life difficult for other people.

I wonder though just how much of the "difficulty" is in our minds, since others apparently don't have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guys, please restrict this thread to the area in the title and the topic at hand before it goes off on another general "cyclists vs cars vs everyone else" rampage.

A problem that seems to have been resolved since 2006. Care to find something new?
    1. And also bog, perhaps?

Oh dear god, comparing a situation where locals don't seem to have a problem for matches or for saturday morning training (I suppose you don't remember mellowes training down the plots either) in another part of the country with shoutman telling us the best way to run a bog is classically disingenuous.

But please, lets leave your opinion that a high court judge is wrong in stating that we did not breech the directive in question in the bypass thread shall we?
    I have no idea what you are referring to. Whatever it is, if you think it's suitable material for another thread then by all means bring it up there.p

To use your own words the councillor brought up "legitimate objections from citizens concerned about law-breaking" regarding cycling on the prom. And yet you're harping on about footpaths being made unsafe for pedestrians.

If one was being honest about trying to make footpaths safer for pedestrians, one would welcome the councillors comments and ask that he extend them to cars, instead of just castigating him for not saying something that suites you.

Edit - sorry biko, was writing my reply when the warning came through

The problem with tackling such anti-social behaviour in Raleigh Row, and in all the other places where it occurs on a daily basis, is that the self-serving law-breakers are neatly complemented by self-serving law (non) enforcers.

For every mealy-mouthed excuse for motoring misbehaviour (see the tortuous fact-twisting above) there is an equally obtuse explanation from the law enforcers regarding why the law can not and should not be enforced in such situations.

Here's an earlier quote in this thread from a serving Garda:
    If Ireland wanted zero tolerance in the morning I've no doubt it could be provided and I would do my bit, however my experience is that Joe Public including people like yourself like zero tolerance for everyone else but not when it comes to them or their families. Listen to Joe Duffy any day of the week and you will hear offenders being entertained and Joe belittling regulators or enforcers as you call them and you will learn what appetite their is for regulation in this country. If Gardai enforce a law then it is "revenue collecting" and a scam and have they nothing better to do. There are many many decent people out there trying to get by at the moment without getting hammered by the police everytime they drop of or collect their kids during a 15 minute period twice a day. Most do their best at locations not suitable for schools. It should be schools, parent representatives, Gardai and council officals who try to sort it but not with a sledgehammer approch as you would like and they all have plenty other issues to address at the same time with dwindling resorces.

Note the reference to "decent", an adjective which -- it would appear -- does not apply as readily to certain other citizens, including those who attempt to go to school in Raleigh Row, or elsewhere, by means other than the private car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

The problem with tackling such anti-social behaviour in Raleigh Row, and in all the other places where it occurs on a daily basis, is that the self-serving law-breakers are neatly complemented by self-serving law (non) enforcers.

For every mealy-mouthed excuse for motoring misbehaviour (see the tortuous fact-twisting above) there is an equally obtuse explanation from the law enforcers regarding why the law can not and should not be enforced in such situations.

Here's an earlier quote in this thread from a serving Garda:

Note the reference to "decent", an adjective which -- it would appear -- does not apply as readily to certain other citizens, including those who attempt to go to school in Raleigh Row, or elsewhere, by means other than the private car.

Thats your interpetation, but if you want me to make a judgement in decency then I refer you to the earlier photograph you posted with the lorry on the footpath in traffic, can i ask you the following?

Did you take that photograph?
    Is that your buggy?
    Is there a child in the buggy?
    Do you think the child might be in danger?
    If the child is in the buggy are you close enough to the buggy to avert danger?
    Do you think its a responsible action

I certainly dont, in my opinion its one of the most reckless actions I've seen by a road user!! two wrongs dont make a right!

one of the most reckless actions I've seen by a road user

I'm not sure if the reg number is legible in that photo. This morning I photographed three more driving on the same footpath, as they do every day. I'll send you the details by PM so you can take appropriate action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I'm not sure if the reg number is legible in that photo. This morning I photographed three more driving on the same footpath, as they do every day. I'll send you the details by PM so you can take appropriate action.

The reckless road user I refer to in the photo is YOU, as a pedestrian you are also a road user. As I said two wrongs dont make a right and the lorry driver is wrong also, save your PM's and call to your local Garda station. I take it from your failure to answer the questions that there was a child in the buggy which beggars belief!

• Advertisement

save your PM's and call to your local Garda station

I can't find the original photo, but I'm pretty sure the reg number of the HGV pictured on the footpath is 00-MN-383.

With regard to the daily problem of footpath driving (and parking) I wonder whether I should call to Mill Street (Garda Station, that is) or the one in Salthill? Or perhaps both?

Anyway, OT so let's leave it there (or for another thread).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement