Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia T V J

Options
  • 03-09-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

I don't know if you have seen the latest 3 phones released from Sony on the Xperia range but they are due to come out from the 5th September.

Sony Xperia T
    1.5GHz dual-core processor w/ 1GB RAM
    Android 4.0
    4.6in HD screen
    microSD card slot
    13 megapixel camera
    Release date: 5 September 2012
    Sony Xperia V
    Qualcomm Dual core, 1.5GHz,
    Android (4.0)
    4.30 inches 720 x 1280 pixels
    microSD card slot
    13 megapixels camera
    Sony Xperia J
    1GHz Qualcomm processor
    5-megapixel camera
    4in, 480 x 854 screen
    Android 4.0.4 (with future Jelly Bean update)
    Release date: 5 September 2012

I was looking at the existing Xperia phone range ( mostly the U ) recently and then heard of the Xperia J coming out for some say €150 outside contract. I am not sure about the price. The price for one is a surprise. Its not a dual core and maybe its a bit slow, Jelly bean might speed it up a bit. The screen size is a bit biggerr than the U.

Are the T V and J similar to the existing Xperia P S and U ?

I think the P and T are too expensive but what about the V, J and S, P ? Would you get one of them. Sony phones only, I really don't like HTC or Apple (apart from their IPod).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're going for super budget then Sony isnt what you want, get the Huawei Ascend or whatever it is that everyone raves about.

The rest are just tweaks on the old line up, I have an S and its very much worth the premium for a proper handset. Its something you'll carry for at least a year, so its a worthy investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The difference between the Sony and something like the Ascend is the quality of camera, responsiveness of the screen. If you have the extra to spend the Sony and similar are worth the extra. But the Ascend is a great cheap phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ED E wrote: »
    If you're going for super budget then Sony isnt what you want, get the Huawei Ascend or whatever it is that everyone raves about.

The rest are just tweaks on the old line up, I have an S and its very much worth the premium for a proper handset. Its something you'll carry for at least a year, so its a worthy investment.

Sorry wouldn't recommend the Ascend G300. It's a lovely phone , great screen and nice spec sheet, but its slow, laggy and has too many problems, crashing.

Sorry wouldn't recommend the Ascend G300. It's a lovely phone , great screen and nice spec sheet, but its slow, laggy and has too many problems, crashing.

You're essentially buying a computer for €130, you cant expect speed. If you're not willing to spend "proper" money, get a dumb phone. Many people get a bad impression of android as they see it on cheap hardware where its screwed from the get go.

And many on the Android sub dont seem to have the same problems that you do.

I don't really agree with that. My G300 works fine. Its very usable for average user. If you are a power user, heavy texter, emailer or use photos or gaming heavily then no its not for you. If your a light user then its ok. My kids keep borrowing mine for Angry birds space. For example. I use mine for bus times, trains, TV programes, the news etc.

Its a better dumb phone than most dumb phones if you want to do more than ring and text. If all you do is ring and text then you don't want a smart phone anyway. If you want a slighly better dumb phone with good music/camera you want a feature phone, and they don't really make them anymore. Theres kind of a gap in the market there.

• Advertisement

You strike me as somebody who will manage and keep their device clean, unfortunately average joe wont do this :S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I was just disappointed, because every Vodafone Smart 2 ive seen has been running quite smoothly with a slower processor. Ok so Smart 2 has lower resolution but I was still expecting smooth home screen scrolling with a 1Ghz processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Its worth waiting to see how much J is.

U is dual core, smaller though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

ED E wrote: »

I was thinking of the J because of the price vs the T or V but I was looking at a video on youtube on the xperia arc with jelly bean installed. The Arc still performs better than the J so I guess you get the extra functionality over the lifetime. You would get 2 years out of the T or V.

I was just disappointed, because every Vodafone Smart 2 ive seen has been running quite smoothly with a slower processor. Ok so Smart 2 has lower resolution but I was still expecting smooth home screen scrolling with a 1Ghz processor.

Not really noticed that. I do move all the apps to the SD card and restart it now and then as I find all devices work better if they are restarted now and then. My old experia Mini had a 11Ghz also and that felt slightly quicker. But I think there was less operator bloat on the O2 phone I had vs the stock Vodafone firmware. I think the problem is the screen on €100 phone (G300) isn't as sensitive as a €200 phone. That really comes done to do you want to spend 100 or 200. The G300 is a great 100 phone, but its not quite up there with a 200 phone. IMO.

• Advertisement

I read the TX has a removable battery as opposed to the T and both have identical specs.

The T is available for pre order on o2 but it looks like they wont be offering the TX. If you wanted to install a ROM or CMD how would you cope with not being able to take the battery out (in case you turned it into a brick) ?

The T is getting ok reviews even though its the flagship phone with some decent specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Been a Sony user for years & looking forward to a hands on with the Xperia T. I was intending to buy the Arc when it came out but when I read a review by a guy saying that the phone split in two when he sat on it when it was in his back pocket (I know the phone is very slim) I went for the Xperia Neo. A great phone but suffers horribly from memory deficit running ICS. My daughter has the Xperia S, another great phone but no external memory slot. One thing I'm concerned about it the lack of removable battery. An earlier poster says that the Xperia T also doesn't have a removable battery, shame. Also it seems that the T doesn't have 4G LTE connectivity, can anyone confirm that?
    On another tack, I'm currently on Vodafone My Way Plan @ €33pm for VF to VF calls & texts & 50 texts to other networks & 1GB data (light user although I use my Neo on WiFi more than my laptop these days). Any opinions on Meteor, they seem to have a good package for €25 incl. 1GB of data.

Been a Sony user for years & looking forward to a hands on with the Xperia T. I was intending to buy the Arc when it came out but when I read a review by a guy saying that the phone split in two when he sat on it when it was in his back pocket (I know the phone is very slim) I went for the Xperia Neo. A great phone but suffers horribly from memory deficit running ICS. My daughter has the Xperia S, another great phone but no external memory slot. One thing I'm concerned about it the lack of removable battery. An earlier poster says that the Xperia T also doesn't have a removable battery, shame. Also it seems that the T doesn't have 4G LTE connectivity, can anyone confirm that?
    On another tack, I'm currently on Vodafone My Way Plan @ €33pm for VF to VF calls & texts & 50 texts to other networks & 1GB data (light user although I use my Neo on WiFi more than my laptop these days). Any opinions on Meteor, they seem to have a good package for €25 incl. 1GB of data.

Neo V - Keep it clean and it runs fine(gf running one).

S - External memory: Doesnt matter, get a good data plan, google music, dropbox(easily get 20GB for free), google drive etc, never get close to filling my "SD". Removable battery: If it wears out in 20-24 months(that'd be heavy enough useage) then its only a matter of removing two screws, and your warranty will be gone by then.

LTE: What does it matter? You wont see LTE here within the life of any current handset(say 2yrs~ ). By the time its been rolled out here we'll be on Android 8 :rolleyes:

the only short coming is LTE. There is a Sony Xperia T LTE available but does o2 ship that ? Is the Xperia V come with LTE as standard ?

Why do you care?(Are you outside the republic?)

frequently yes, but I couldn't say care.

Advertisement