Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy note II

Options
  • 03-09-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Soo peeps :) whos getting this new toy when it comes out supposedly early October.First i was thinking that galaxy s3 has big screen then htc titan and galaxy note came out.Now note 2 gonna have 5.5 inches screen,now anyone who had a hold of note 1 knows its like holding king kong in hand :D this new galaxy note will hardly fit in anyone's pocket especially jeans,and help you god if it drops by any chance with that size screen.
    All the bad aspects aside im a gadget person so most likely will upgrade to this phone if it will be within 600e price limit also insurance will be a must as probably i will crack screen at some stage,but having phone and a stylus with functions not less than tablet or pc at your palm should pay off.So whats your thouths about this is is complete limit of size in screen size or did Samsung went overboard.Note currently i own nokia n8 great phone survives everyday bumps has great camera,gps,but screen is eye damaging and typing messages is just wrong compared to ios or android,browsing is cruel and only good for checking mail.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Listening to the phone show the guys with a note, had a small phone for regular use, and 2nd sim in the note and used it mainly as a 3G tablet than a phone. I think I'd use it like that too. TBH I do that now with a smart phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Note is certainly as much a PDA/Tablet as it is a phone. It is, I think, a pretty capable all in one device. I hear the Note II will be 5.5 inches though so I'm guessing Samsung want to incrementally raise the bar to see how big they can make a phone that will still have appeal as a phone. I have the Note I and think it's perfectly serviceable as a phone but not something you could comfortably walk and text or anything. It'll be interesting to see how far Samsung can push this niche they have helped carve anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

yeah every review has said its awesome, but in terms of texting has to be done in 2 hands, and calls you look rediculous holding it up to your ear :P
    either way i would really like to see one hands on. the galaxys3 is big enough for me imo. if i had a choice though it would for sure be a tough one.

kenyard wrote: »
    yeah every review has said its awesome, but in terms of texting has to be done in 2 hands, and calls you look rediculous holding it up to your ear :P
    either way i would really like to see one hands on. the galaxys3 is big enough for me imo. if i had a choice though it would for sure be a tough one.

I'd say you look conspicuous more than ridiculous. The Note and similar devices from other manufacturers have sold really well so evidently there's no shortage of people of paying the 'cool' penalty in making a call. You actually can text on the Note with one hand though, but not with any great comfort. You can always, with a little luck and good diction, dictate your texts into the phone but people don't necessarily want to speak the contents of their texts aloud and if it's at that point, as Adam Bloom once said, ' Might as well ****ing ring 'em!". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Is it not quicker to text two handed with any qwerty phone, no matter the size? I know I prefer it anyway.

I'd like to see the Note II in person, see how pocketable it is. Phone shop staff generally frown on putting display models in your pocket though, don't they? :p

• Advertisement

Is it not quicker to text two handed with any qwerty phone, no matter the size? I know I prefer it anyway.

I'd like to see the Note II in person, see how pocketable it is. Phone shop staff generally frown on putting display models in your pocket though, don't they? :p

I've no particular problem pocketing the Note, in fact with the thinness of it, it's more of a worry about it staying in the pocket.

I think a querty phone is faster in a wider range of situations. The touch screen can be faster sometimes though, usually in ideal situations. Like your not moving, its using common words etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

BostonB will note II have two sim card slots ?as i didn't go through the specs besides screen and cpu, or am i missing a point here ?
    The reason that they are releasing second one must be success with the first one no ?:confused: .Only downside as i said previously will be carrying it,and protecting the screen.

Why would it have dual sim slots???

Why the link to my profile???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

kenyard wrote: »
    but in terms of texting has to be done in 2 hands

As far as I know, there is an option in settings to adjust the qwerty keyboard layout to either the left or right hand side of the screen to make one hand texting easier to do.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of getting one myself. I've never owned an Android device before. I've mostly had iPhones and one WP7 device. All my friends told me that once they changed from iOS to Android they never looked back. My girlfriend thinks the size of the Note is laughable and that I'll look like the guy from Little Britain holding one to my ear! Funny and possibly true but I also like the fact that it's different to any other device out there. I mostly use my phone for web browsing and figure the 5.5" screen will do wonders for that.

So, what's it like to move from iOS to Android?

Does the Note II have 'Smart Stay', 'Direct Call', 'Smart Alert', 'S Voice', 'S Beam' features that the S3 has?

Here's a link to one handed qwerty texting on the Note II:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VgmI-0NI0fw

Scroll to 3min 50sec to see the feature being demonstrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Does the Note II have 'Smart Stay', 'Direct Call', 'Smart Alert', 'S Voice', 'S Beam' features that the S3 has?

Probably, most of them are crap and/or useless though.

Advertisement