Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand Property and Household Charge

• 03-09-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just had a thought recently. If you're buying a second hand property and the household charge hasnt' been paid on it, I assume the charge and all late penalties would be carried over to new owner?

I don't want to be lumped with the bill if the previous owner chose not to pay - reasonable, no?

Will raise the issue with the estate agent and double check, just wondering if anyone else who's recently bought has come up against it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Your solicitor should have it as part of the due diligence so it'll have to be sorted by the seller before the sale can go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Roxee wrote: »
    Just had a thought recently. If you're buying a second hand property and the household charge hasnt' been paid on it, I assume the charge and all late penalties would be carried over to new owner?

I don't want to be lumped with the bill if the previous owner chose not to pay - reasonable, no?

Will raise the issue with the estate agent and double check, just wondering if anyone else who's recently bought has come up against it.

Thanks

Would it not have to be paid out of the proceeds of the sale as part of the conveyancing process?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Would it not have to be paid out of the proceeds of the sale as part of the conveyancing process?

It would be possible to get an undertaking from the solicitor for the vendor to pay the outstanding charges after closing. Most solicitors would want receipts before they would close for a purchaser. A solicitor who left his client stuck with a bill for taxes and penalties would be sued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭dublin8681

If you do not own the property on the 1st of Jan of 2012 you do not need to pay the household charge for that year, so it is the seller's responsibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The sale cannot go through until the charge has been discharged by the seller. Your solicitor will seek proof of payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Roxee

The sale cannot go through until the charge has been discharged by the seller. Your solicitor will seek proof of payment.

Yes, I asked my solicitor some time back and he assured me it has been paid. Crisis averted!

Advertisement