Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry cleaners ruined my top

Options
  • 03-09-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all,

I sent an expensive white tshirt to the dry cleaners to get a stain out of the front of it. I went back to collect it a few days later & they informed me the stain had not come out but they could try a different technique on it and to ce back another few days. I went back again to be told that the blue logo on the front had run into the white & it's now ruined. I'm kinda upset because it was a nice tshirt & pretty new. Any ideas on what I should say next to them? Should I be compensated for my loss?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

unless they told you of the risks and got you to sign that you took full responsibility for any damage then you are entitled to be compensated by having the item replaced or by getting paid the cost of replacing it, you may have to go through the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 L_S1991

foggy_lad wrote: »
    unless they told you of the risks and got you to sign that you took full responsibility for any damage then you are entitled to be compensated by having the item replaced or by getting paid the cost of replacing it, you may have to go through the small claims court.

Thanks for the reply!

I told them to yes certainly try the different technique but I wasn't told about any circumstances nor signed anything. How would you reccomend approaching them? Should I go in & say I want compensation & make it aware I know my rights? Or just act dumb & see what they're gonna offer me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You handed in a damaged item which did not respond to conventional cleaning, why would they compensate you?. If they could not get the stain you put in it out, you would not be able to wear it anyway. Take responsibility for damaging it yourself in the first place.

As for advice to go to SCC, the Judge may agree with Cleaners if they argue that item was already damaged and they informed you that they were trying a stronger cleaning agent and were not negligent when non colour fast design ran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

This is (potentially) a classic exclusion clause scenario. Does your receipt have anything on it in regards to damage - was there a sign in the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

L_S1991 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I sent an expensive white tshirt to the dry cleaners to get a stain out of the front of it. I went back to collect it a few days later & they informed me the stain had not come out but they could try a different technique on it and to ce back another few days. I went back again to be told that the blue logo on the front had run into the white & it's now ruined. I'm kinda upset because it was a nice tshirt & pretty new. Any ideas on what I should say next to them? Should I be compensated for my loss?

Any help would be great, thanks!

What was the value of a stained expensive shirt that wouldn't respond to conventional dry cleaning... hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Xcellor wrote: »
    What was the value of a stained expensive shirt that wouldn't respond to conventional dry cleaning... hmm.

This is kind of how I'd see it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

foggy_lad wrote: »

Replacing the tshirt would be easy for them but it's only fair the put a stain back in the replacemnt one. The OP had already damaged / straine the clothes himself. Also any dry cleaners I have ever used usually have a sign saying that they won't be responsible if damage occurs, IMHO they did take due care which didn't work so offered a "more extreme" cleaning agent which may work.

Advertisement