Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notifications for Quoted Messages.

Options
  • 03-09-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭

When the new look for boards was added the Notifications System became very useful. Now you can easily see if you have new PMs, Friend Requests etc. One thing that I'd like to see added is a notification whenever someone quotes a message made by you.
    (With an option to enable, disable it)

Most of the time when someone is quoting you they are talking to you, asking a question or just plain disagreeing with you :P

A few days ago someone quoted my post, asking a question I could've answered in 5 seconds but I didn't notice it for days.

I Suggest this

DrPro.png

Leading you to this page

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?quoted=<Member Name>&sort=newest

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's already the "Find all posts that quote..." link on the statistics page of your profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

A fine idea, only... it's very much a non-trivial request. Certainly one to keep the brain ticking over for a good while trying to come up with a workable solution. The difference in architecture between the database where we store posts and the search database means this won't come to fruition without very serious effort. The problem lies in being able to tell if you've already read a post you were quoted in, notifications are meant to expire after all :)

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

A fine idea, only... it's very much a non-trivial request. Certainly one to keep the brain ticking over for a good while trying to come up with a workable solution. The difference in architecture between the database where we store posts and the search database means this won't come to fruition without very serious effort. The problem lies in being able to tell if you've already read a post you were quoted in, notifications are meant to expire after all :)

Danny

Thanks for the reply Danny, Nice to see boards taking Feedback from its users seriously.

I thought since the Quoted message contains the post number (In this case
    ) it would be easy enough for the database to recognise when the message had been read.

If current_page contains post number then mark notification as read.

Anyways i've no idea of the architecture so i'm probably talking rubbish :p

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Danny, Nice to see boards taking Feedback from its users seriously.

I thought since the Quoted message contains the post number (In this case [noparse]
    [/noparse]) it would be easy enough for the database to recognise when the message had been read.

If current_page contains post number then mark notification as read.

Anyways i've no idea of the architecture so i'm probably talking rubbish :p

Heh, that's what our search does. It takes the username from the
    tag and says "this post quotes Boards.ie: Danny".

There's various issues with reading quote tags e.g. a lot of people (myself included) split quotes without the post IDs in the quote tag, or copy a piece of a post and manually write
    Username wrote:
    . In those cases we don't have the original post ID :)

But the main obstacle is I make a post, you quote me, I get a notification (taken from Search, because that's the only place we're storing the who-quotes-who at the minute). I read the post. The notification should disappear, but search still says You quoted Me. How do we record the fact that I've read the post that quotes me? *head explodes* :pac:

I'm sure we can figure out some way of doing it, it's just not as easy a solution as "could you fix this bug?" :)

Danny

Ye your right it is a toughy

I assumed you could use a function similar to the followed threads.
    But as you said the search architecture is different.

I thought once someone quotes you that page is flagged and a notification is sent to you. Once you visit that page the notifications disappear.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Ye your right it is a toughy

I assumed you could use a function similar to the followed threads.
    But as you said the search architecture is different.

I thought once someone quotes you that page is flagged and a notification is sent to you. Once you visit that page the notifications disappear.

That's the general idea. Leave it with us, we'll spare some brain power for it when we get the chance. I can imagine it'll become one of the most used features on Boards :)

Danny

That's the general idea. Leave it with us, we'll spare some brain power for it when we get the chance. I can imagine it'll become one of the most used features on Boards :)

Danny

Wow, Cool :D

Happy to help

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement