Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgerow Wine

Options
  • 03-09-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All,

New to homebrew and wine making. I have a few kits under my belt and a few turdo ciders.
    Now that we are coming to harvest time I was hoping to make some wines from what mother nature offers up.
    Does anyone know anywhere in South Wicklow North Wexford area where I can find sloe's etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Spike78 wrote: »
    Hi All,

New to homebrew and wine making. I have a few kits under my belt and a few turdo ciders.
    Now that we are coming to harvest time I was hoping to make some wines from what mother nature offers up.
    Does anyone know anywhere in South Wicklow North Wexford area where I can find sloe's etc.

hi..
    I cant help with that but I know that due to the spring/summer conditions berries and fruits are fairly scarse this year... Last year I made damson wine and this year the trees are completly bare round here.. No fruit, no haws nor sloes.. disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's bad news. :( I was hoping to make a nice apple and blackberry cider. I have seen elderberries on the trees locally though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Khannie wrote: »
    That's bad news. :( I was hoping to make a nice apple and blackberry cider. I have seen elderberries on the trees locally though.

What about rhubarb, its in session and not to pricey per weight to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Spike78

I had hoped to make some blackberry wine and maybe some sloe gin; I cant find any sloe's and from what I can see you would need a full day to pick a small pot of blackberries :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

oblivious wrote: »
    What about rhubarb, its in session and not to pricey per weight to buy?

Mmmmm. Apple and rhubarb cider. Bulmers do one and it's pretty tasty but I reckon I could do better. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Getting a bit late for rhubarb but glaskins perpetual is a nice late variety. You can get crowns for a couple of euro and plant November/December. Rhubarb is such a generous plant and so easy to grow, will keep a family going once esatablished. Have 4 plants at the allotment (3 varieties). They are young but have great plans to make lots of wine in the future. Have a gallon on the go so cant wait for Xmas to try it :)

Have a gallon on the go so cant wait for Xmas to try it smile.png

What receipe did you use?

Came from an old country wine recipe book I got when I picked up a load of free brewing equipment. Seems like most of the recipes use 3lbs fruit and 3 lbs sugar. Makes sweet wine but I followed it and will see if it's too much. Froze the rhubarb first, defrosted then cut it up and added a gallon of boiling water, campten tablet, peptic enzyme and then the sugar. Left it for a week, strained the pulp, added the yeast and nutrient and then into a demijohn. It's been going for abhout 6 weeks I think and still bubbling. Recipe says that 6 months is an acceptable age to drink it, but improves with more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Looking around the hedges at the minute and I can see rosehips/haws, plenty of sloes, some blackberries, and some elderberries. Nothing in crazy abundance, but a bit of everything.

Anyone any idea of a recipe involving all/most of the above?

+1 For any recipes.

Can anyone recommend any good wine making books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Davkinse

A good book with loads of recipes and some basic guidance for beginners is
    First Steps In Winemaking by CJJ Berry.

Have that one out from the library and it's very good (in my humble beginner's opinion). Been reading a lot of forums lately and this book seems to be a bit of a bible and crops up all the time.

Davkinse wrote: »
    A good book with loads of recipes and some basic guidance for beginners is
    First Steps In Winemaking by CJJ Berry.

Just got it looks excellent, thanks for that.
    101 ways to abuse your liver:D

Advertisement