Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #86

Options
  • 03-09-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here the latest Album of the Week. Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote. Here's the breakdown of the votes. Only albums with more than one vote are listed. This week we had a three-horse race which saw a Kess73 contribution nick it at the end.

Band|Album|Votes
    Opeth|Still Life|5
    Fear Factory|Archetype|4
    De-loused in the Comatorium|The Mars Volta|3

Here is Serenity Painted Death from the winner:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

A fantastic album. Could possibly be my favourite Opeth album, as it's probably their most consitant one song for song imo (I suppose that it would want to be seen as it's a concept album).

It kind set forth everything that people would consider the standard Opeth sound. The fantastic heavy riffs, intricate clean guitar work, Mike's signature blend of clean and growled vocals. It's all blended so seamlessly.

Picking a favourite song is tricky enough, but I'd probably say Godhead's Lament, which just beats The Moor. But I love the whole album.
    It has their best ballad type songs as well in the form on Benighted and Face of Melinda

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Kess with the 93rd minute winner. :D

Really good album, and would have to agree with Dr.Poca in that I also think it is Opeth's best album as I preferred them when they were heavier.

For me the best tracks on the album are The Moor and White Cluster, so here they are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

My second fave Opeth album (behind the Opus that is Blackwater Park)

Once again this thread serves its purpose, I havent listed to either of those albums in an age, ill dig them out when i get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Arg, I hate it when I don't get my way! :P I can't complain though, Still Life is my favourite Opeth album, I love "Face Of Melinda" and "Serenity Painted Death", excellent tracks.

Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I like Opeth a lot, this is a great album but surpassed by Blackwater Park as mentioned before. I find though that I have to be in the mood for them. Sometimes if they come on while shuffling through I skip on, other times I'll turn off shuffle and listen to the entire album.

Good Album of the Week anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Very worthy winner love this band a lot only discovered them around the release of "Ghost Reveries" so after I picked that up and enjoyed it was obviously interested to hear more so checking out their back catalog became a must and a great experience that was!! I think this record could be the bands crowning one r at least giving Blackwater Park (which is already on the list) a good run for its money. One of those albums you throw on its first track in this case "The Moor" and next thing the album goes its entirety, My faves would have to be "The Moor" and "Face Of Melinda" (would prob have posted roundhouse tapes of this but someones takin care of that already, cheers). It would be nice to have them play something from it when they visit Dublin in November, here's hoping!!

Advertisement