Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AVB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

We are between the proverbial rock and hard place, if he is successful with us, because of his high profile, he will be poached, if he's not, we will be in the **** anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

We're 5 points off the lead after 11 games and the new players and new system is still bedding in.

Did you expect more? If so, you're expectations were unrealistic. It really is as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Ormus wrote: »
    We're 5 points off the lead after 11 games and the new players and new system is still bedding in.

Did you expect more? If so, you're expectations were unrealistic. It really is as simple as that.

On the flipside, did you expect us to lose at home to West Ham and Newcastle? I know i did not and we have harder games coming up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    On the flipside, did you expect us to lose at home to West Ham and Newcastle? I know i did not and we have harder games coming up.

I expect absolutely anything to happen in football and never expect to take 3points from any game. I certainly didn't expect us to be sitting quite so high up in the table when we lost our greatest player/bought in half a team in the summer and had several of the squad returning from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/11/14/jl-15-intriguing-facts-about-tottenham-so-far/? I am not sure that lloris is the reason why our defence is so strong. He has made very few saves to make compared to previous years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

2) Long Balls
    Tottenham have played more long balls or long passes than any other team in league, averaging 70 long balls played per game.

3) Through Balls
    Tottenham have played the fewest through balls away from home of all teams in the league and have yet to successfully complete a single through ball away from White Hart Lane this season.

4) Shots
    Tottenham have taken more shots than any other team so far this season with a total of 206 shots taken, averaging 18.9 shots per game.

Those three stats alone make is very clear what our current problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I have supported the manager from day one, but this is a serious test. If we lose to United next week, he'll really feel the heat from the supporters...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I have supported the manager from day one, but this is a serious test. If we lose to United next week, he'll really feel the heat from the supporters...

Hope he gets full support til the end of the season.

Yes he has to avoid defeat next Sunday or else the situation could seriously escalate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This is very true. If we were to get hammered next weekend and capitulate like today, there'd be an awful lot of unhappy fans.

• Advertisement

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Hope he gets full support til the end of the season.

So do I, but lets see how the next month goes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

we are now in a fairly serious position because if we dont change the system and get hammered by united and liverpool then the fans will go crazy at AVB.

Jan has to be played at CB - he is a great player but a little immature and is throwing his toys out of the pram cos he dont like left back, play chirches at LB.

Bring demebele back into the middle and drop paulinho

Play ade and defoe up front and drop soldado ( i know i know, i have sung soldados praise but at this stage its not working)

We are in a right mess at the moment and AVB mustbe worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I really like AVB as a person and really want him to succeed but the football we have been playing for 6 or so months now is extremely poor and we never look like winning a game. I cant remember a clear cut chance we have created in the last 3-4 games and we are being found out now our get out of jail card (Bale) is gone and he was mostly the reason for our record points haul last season.

Will AVB change the style of Play? Someone asked a few weeks ago we would take winning the title playing the style of football we do, well yes but i dont think i'd enjoy watching week in week out which for me its all about being entertained. Im no longer excvited on a saturday or sunday at the prospect of watching us play and havent even book a trip to the lane this year., previously i would have 4-5 games under my belt at this stage. I dont think we need to go 4-4-2 but we need to play at pace and with authority. Personally i like to see us go 3-5-2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I think 3-5-2 was Hoddles suggestion before the game had started, I too liked the look of it. We definitely need two up top.

Crazy to think that he'll look at the league table this morning, he knows we have been so poor this season, and yet we are only 2 points off 4th :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

mickman wrote: »
    we are now in a fairly serious position because if we dont change the system and get hammered by united and liverpool then the fans will go crazy at AVB.

Don't worry, we will hardly get hammered by United or Liverpool.

The City game was a freak occurrence in a stadium which EVERY time has been hammered in this season. United and Newcastle conceded four, Everton conceded three.

Arsenal go there in two weeks and will concede at least three.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

The problem isn't the hiding yesterday its that we could play until xmas and not look like scoring against anyone.

When we couldn't break down Palace on the opening day I was worried for the season. Nothing has changed from that opening day except a few big wins in the minor cups and the Norwich performance papering over the cracks.

Its embarrassing how little we have scored from open play in the league this season. Truly embarrassing.

Failure to score or create a few meaningful chances against Utd next week [like Cardiff did yesterday] and I would like to see AVB on his bike sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

Nov 14th:

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2013/11/tottenham-transfers-avb-wants-hungry-emmanuel-adebayor-to-stay/

The Tottenham manager has discarded the 4-4-2 formation which he deployed last season in favour of his own variation of 4-5-1.
    Soldado, who was signed in a £26m deal, has established himself as first-choice at Spurs, whilst Defoe is hot on the Spaniard’s heels.
    And Villas-Boas admitted Adebayor, who has recovered from a foot contusion, will have to wait for his opportunity to lead Tottenham’s front-line.
    “I’ve spoken to him about the situation,” Villas-Boas added.
    “This team has changed from playing 4-4-2 to one striker up front. It’s a massive change and alongside the goalkeeper position, it’s a position where three players compete for one place.
    “I don’t see us going back to 4-4-2.”
    He continued: “For the moment, it’s not going to happen.

Nov 22:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2511853/Tottenham-set-tactical-switch-desperate-bid-add-goals-Andre-Villas-Boas-hints-Emmanuel-Adebayor-recall.html

Andre Villas-Boas has revealed that Tottenham have started training in a 4-4-2 formation in a desperate bid to add goals.
    Spurs have struggled in front of goal in the Premier League, scoring just nine goals in their 11 matches so far this year.
    Villas-Boas revealed that Emmanuel Adebayor - who has not played a single minute of football this season - has been paired with £26million man Roberto Soldado during the sessions and could be set for a start against Manchester City on Sunday.

But the Portuguese did admit that he is unlikely to use the formation when his side travel to the Etihad to face Manchester City on Sunday.
    'Not right now,' he said in his press conference when asked if he would play that way against City.
    'We've trained with 4-4-2 during this international break, we played a game against a local team over here last Friday playing 4-4-2. We probably can moved to it in future.
    'I'm unsure if this is the right time, bearing in mind the fixtures that we have, coming up against Man City and Man United, if this is the right time to change.
    'We have been very consistent defensively and offensively - not in terms of goals but in terms of chances created in the system, 4-2-31. That's probably our way through.'

Nov 24th - we play 4-4-2 for 15 minutes at the start of the second half and concede 2 goals.....

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I think 3-5-2 was Hoddles suggestion before the game had started, I too liked the look of it. We definitely need two up top.

Hoddle talked a lot of sense, his heat bloom comparison of the areas soldado was playing in compared to augero and negrado was very telling,

City had 2 men with 90% of their possession in the final third of the pitch! we had 1 man and 90% of his possession was in midfield. Desperation stuff from a box player.
    The only option available now seems to be a switch to a system with 2 bonifide strikers, how we line up in midfield and defence is anyone's guess.
    One thing that reminded me of last season was Lennon and walker linking up(wasn't that often mind you) but by reverting back to using width and pace rather than this build to nowhere through the centre with might be able to rescue the season.

As others have said here we're still in a very good position despite having played very poorly. This is a good set of players they havnt turned into bad players overnight.

AVB needs to earn his crust now and save his job and reputation, we are still in touch but have tricky games ahead. I believe united are beatable at home it's up to avb to pick the right team and system to do the job and then it's down to the players on the pitch to do their jobs.
    COYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Before the game Hoddle also said that Dawson should be starting for England! No more Vertonghen at LB please!

• Advertisement

Before the game Hoddle also said that Dawson should be starting for England! No more Vertonghen at LB please!

True the Dawson quote is just nuts, maybe he'd make the plane as back up? In saying that I value Hoddle's views, tactically he's usually spot on and very knowledgeable.

I was under the impression Vlad would be playing LB? It's puzzling to say the least, I'd say if he makes Vertonghen play there against Utd then words could be had sooner rather than later. Always stood up for Dawson, but he's constantly making an áss of himself this season. The high line only emphasis this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

We have to go all out attack against united. If we play one up top then we can forget about it as they will nick a goal against us for sure.

4 - 4 -2 all the way

lloris

walker jan kaboul chirches

lennon sandro dembele lamela

ade soldado

Team above is about right for me, although it'll depend on who he's going to play come Thursday. And we all know he won't field a weakened side!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Was at the game yesterday and my god was it just awful to watch. That goal 20secs into the match just ruined moral. It really seems that the players just aren't happy and you can see this from their body language. I don't like being one of these fans, but I'd honestly like to see the back of AVB. His stubborn tactics just aren't working. Would actually like to see Benny back, at least we'd have a natural lb instead of struggling to fit that position.

Agree with the majority who say we need 2 up front. Just isn't working with Soldado acting as a lone ranger. I do feel for Soldado, he just isn't getting the assistance needed. Hopefully this can change in coming weeks, because we are going to have to work on something asap! 100% drop paulihno, the lad just isn't up for it and I feel people have over rated him. He should have been brought off at HT instead of leaving him on and causing more damage.

But fook it, these freak results happen, lets just hope we can make amends of it. COYS!!

The boys on Monday Night Football are talking sense, man how I hope we get back to playing ball like 2 years ago :(. We need a VDV in this team.

Hopefully our manger was watching? Interesting hearing Gerard saying that White Hart Lane was the toughest ground to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

i just cannot see how with the talent we have we've only scored 6 goals from play in 12 games! Manager needs to have words with himself, because he's spent 100m and its not working so far. I'm still a supporter of the guy and he still has time to put a run together as due to the league being a bit wide open this season we're still in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Benny put in a man of the match performance against Charlton, we need him back, fcuk this shíte from the manager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a3eNwANJTo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

MOTM against Charlton? Just imagine the damage he would have done against Man City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

irishmover wrote: »
    MOTM against Charlton? Just imagine the damage he would have done against Man City.

Did you even watch the video? It may be just Charlton, but he would do better on the left then playing Verts out of position while waiting for Rose to recover. He's also better on the left than Naughton. AVB needs to bite his tongue and get him back in January, he would be good cover if we do buy a LB.

Advertisement