Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AVB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

He is definitely not clueless the opposite in fact. I think his problem may be that he overcomplicates things. He has a game plan and wants his players to stick to the way his sides play. Its a simple game eg At home play an extra man up front against the so called lesser sides. Its great saying we have 13 clean sheets from 20 ( do we really need to the meaningless Europa league games in stats) but my playing with such a cautious approach it is hindering our attacking play. 9 goals from 12 games - only 6 from open play says a lot. His stubborness/refusal to get away from one up top may be his downfall but i am hoping after his disastrous time at Chelsea that he will be more flexible.
    The problem he has now is one of motivation. They need to bounce back after lasts weeks humiliation. Lets hope AVB is the man to get them ready to tear into Man Utd on Sunday.
    I hope I am not coming across as too negative as I think AVB can become an excellent manager. Its up to him now to show us his tactical know how and his motivational abilities.
    COYS!!!

I completely agree.

You're not coming across negative. What you're saying there is fair constructive criticism. Though I just got fed up with other people saying 'AVB out' and 'clueless'.

I'm firmly in the AVB camp. Though if he does not rectify the issues you've mentioned by the end of the season, I won't be behind him much longer. I just want to see him being given the time to make the required changes. Surely if the pleb in the street (such as us) can see the problems, he can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I completely agree.

You're not coming across negative. What you're saying there is fair constructive criticism. Though I just got fed up with other people saying 'AVB out' and 'clueless'.

I'm firmly in the AVB camp. Though if he does not rectify the issues you've mentioned by the end of the season, I won't be behind him much longer. I just want to see him being given the time to make the required changes. Surely if the pleb in the street (such as us) can see the problems, he can too.

Speak for yourself ;):o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Lord Sugar wants to fire AVB

Former Tottenham chairman Lord Sugar wants Sir Alex Ferguson to come out of retirement and replace current Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas.

Villas-Boas' position as Tottenham manager has come under scrutiny in recent weeks because of a dip in form.

Tottenham lost 6-0 at Manchester City on Sunday and Sugar has become bemused with the way the Portuguese has set his team out in recent matches.

Sugar's main role in TV show The Apprentice is to fire contestants who are not up to the job, and the entrepreneur, who now sits in the House of Lords, clearly feels Villas-Boas has not been up to scratch himself so far.

"I've struggled to understand AVB's tactics," Sugar told talkSPORT "You wonder how we are going to get a goal.

"Four, five or even six games before [the 6-0 defeat to Manchester City] you couldn't see where the goals were coming from.

"The formation that AVB plays, I don't understand at all. I put my hands up, I am no great football expert, but I don't understand it at all."

And Sugar would like to see Ferguson replace Villas-Boas.

"My dream would be that my good friend Sir Alex Ferguson will get itchy feet in about a year or so and decide he wants to get back into management and maybe bring his wonderful wife down to London and manage our team," Sugar added.

"If he comes to watch the game, I will suggest some nice houses for him and his wife to stay in."

A £100million summer spending spree raised hopes among the Tottenham faithful, but that hope has given way to fear, especially as a rampant Manchester United team are due at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

Sugar added: "(Chairman) Daniel Levy did a very good deal with [Gareth] Bale. He was going, there was nothing he could do about it, and he has given (sporting director) Franco Baldini the money to go out and spend, but I wonder if it is just a case of spending for the sake of spending it.

"Maybe we should have sat back a few moments and been a bit selective, a bit like (Arsenal boss) Arsene Wenger."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/335/9046231/lord-sugar-wants-to-fire-avb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sugar is some gee bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Sugar is some gee bag.

He's a fcukin ass. A bitter old man. Where would we be now if he was still in charge? Relegated and cash starved most likely.

He's a fcukin ass. A bitter old man. Where would we be now if he was still in charge? Relegated and cash starved most likely.

I listened to most of it on the way to work this morning, he spoke a lot of sense in fairness

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I listened to most of it on the way to work this morning, he spoke a lot of sense in fairness

He might be talking some sense, we all can spell out the issues with the way AVB is doing things at present, but its constant tweets like this make me hate the man: https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/405817171764584448

He's a fan like the rest of us, but I don't constantly whinge and moan publicly just to give myself a big head. We're used to turmoil at Spurs, just keep the head down and support the manager and team. We're 4 points off second place, qualified early in Europe and still in 2 cups even though we're not playing well, better than we ever were with Sugar at the helm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Arsenal fans must be loving the antics of some of the spurs supporters right now :P

Arsenal fans must be loving the antics of some of the spurs supporters right now :P

Yes, especially with the likes of Sugar tweeting shíte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yes, especially with the likes of Sugar tweeting shíte

We have the awful Piers Morgan as a counter-balance. If anything he's worse!

He might be talking some sense, we all can spell out the issues with the way AVB is doing things at present, but its constant tweets like this make me hate the man: https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/405817171764584448

He's a fan like the rest of us, but I don't constantly whinge and moan publicly just to give myself a big head. We're used to turmoil at Spurs, just keep the head down and support the manager and team. We're 4 points off second place, qualified early in Europe and still in 2 cups even though we're not playing well, better than we ever were with Sugar at the helm.

I'm not on twitter so I never read stuff like that. He said a lot of what we are thinking, i.e. frustrated by tactics, not creating enough etc etc.. but he more or less said the manager should be given time and players need a little more time to settle. He genuinely wants us to do well I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Sugar is some gee bag.
    He saved us from going bust one time,and saved us from falling into the hands of Robert Maxwell thank God.

tippspur wrote: »
    He saved us from going bust one time,and saved us from falling into the hands of Robert Maxwell thank God.

Agree re Maxwell but hardly saved us from going bust. That was never gonna happen.

I was amazed when I saw the line up last night, truly bewildered. A meaningless match, play the youngsters? I guarantee he does the same in the remaining match. The football was yet again disappointing, he has us playing like fúckwits. We are the worst side in the league to watch. It's anti football.

So Utd Sunday
    Fulham - Away
    Sunderland - Away
    Liverpool - Home
    Southampton - Away
    West Brom - Home
    Stoke - Home

I don't see a positive outcome, unless drastic changes are made. For me if things aren't turned around by Stoke, then he can pack his bags for the Dakar Rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

the problem i see is that he has a system that worked at porto and he feels no matter what team he's managing that system will work. he'd falcao,hulk and moutinho at porto.at chelski the high line brought an end to him playing terry.its doing the same to Dawson,he doesn't have the pace for it. so if he's going to play Dawson,don't play a high line.we need to play with width,lennon and a lefty,either lamela or townsend.we are horrendous to watch and will continue to be unless he changes formation and tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

So Utd Sunday --- loss
    Fulham - Away --- draw
    Sunderland - Away --- draw
    Liverpool - Home --- loss
    Southampton - Away --- loss
    West Brom - Home --- draw
    Stoke - Home --- win

On current form I can see things panning out like above. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we came away with 6 points or less from the 21 available. If that happens I agree with Sugarlumps, he could well be on his way out as that's relegation form.

He can still turn things around, stop being so stubborn and change tactics. He's got to cut his losses with the current system and change gear. Otherwise he'll grind his career into dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

....be grand lads, sure we are "only 4 points of 2nd place".

Another couple of weeks and it will be "sure we're only 6 points of the top 4"

The football is muck, the tactics are cack but he can still turn it around and he is the man to lead us forward but I think things will get worse before they get better.

Surely this is absolute cods-wallop? Lone fan ejected for singing your gonna be sacked in the morning?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2515558/Andre-Villas-Boas-orders-Tromso-fan-ejected-chanting-sacked-morning.html

• Advertisement

Mark Lawrenson speaks the truth.

I know Tottenham got taken apart by Manchester City last week but that is going to happen to the majority of teams who go to Etihad Stadium this season. People seem to have forgotten it happened to Manchester United a couple of months ago too.
    Still, I have been reading reports that Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas is nearly out and I do not understand why on earth they would be going down that road at this stage of the season, when they have got three points more than they did after 12 games last year.
    I can understand some of the criticism that Villas-Boas is getting because his side have got to go through the gears quicker going forward.
    They need to whip some crosses in and help Roberto Soldado out because he is a penalty-box player who is not getting the right service. At the moment the wingers are coming inside and it is very difficult for him to make the right run.
    Spurs are ninth but they are also only four points off second place in one of the most open Premier League seasons in years.
    But what their fans seriously want to see is their team playing the right way. I get that, I really do, but they also want to be back in the Champions League - and they need to be realistic.
    They should not get too carried away by a run of good results, or any poor form such as their current run.
    If they look at the bigger picture, they have signed a lot of players and Villas-Boas does not know what his best team is at the moment. He needs time to do that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

People have very short memories and want quick fixes...some how a change in leadership makes perfect sense to people who thinks it makes perfect sense :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Surely this is absolute cods-wallop? Lone fan ejected for singing your gonna be sacked in the morning?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2515558/Andre-Villas-Boas-orders-Tromso-fan-ejected-chanting-sacked-morning.html

I seriously hope this is a piss take, would be absolutely ridiculous if it's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

SuprSi wrote: »
    On current form I can see things panning out like above. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we came away with 6 points or less from the 21 available. If that happens I agree with Sugarlumps, he could well be on his way out as that's relegation form.

Or we could get 13 points or 14 or 21. Why pick such a negative result from the crystal ball. Everbody is pissed off with recent results and the drudgery of watching us play but things are not that bad. They are not great.
    If you are going to judge him on the next seven games then maybe wait til the results are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Interesting article, the only thing bothering me is some of eriksens quotes.Its hard to know the context and maybe it's just the language barriers but he didn't seem to know what a lot of his teammates position things,also he didn't seem to be sure of what style of football avb wants to play , " I think he wants to play offensively" dosent fill me with confidence. He backs the manager and then says in a subtle way I really havnt a fcuking clue what way we are supposed to be playing.

Interesting article from Patrick Barclay in the Standard during the week.
    Of course Villas-Boas should feel under a degree of pressure because Spurs now aspire to be in the top four. But the idea that he has spent upwards of £100million is rubbish. He has spent next to nothing. He has lost, in Bale, his best player by a million miles and gained a bunch of mainly promising Premier League novices.
    The real pressure should be on owner Joe Lewis and chairman Daniel Levy. They will never be able to keep the likes or Bale, or Luka Modric before him, until they have a stadium fit for the Champions League. Their one job is to find the club a new home and they perennially fail at it.
    Until they provide elite conditions, they won’t have a consistently elite side and all we’ll hear of is managers — whether they are Juande Ramos, Harry Redknapp or Villas-Boas — falling short.

Full article http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/patrick-barclay-a-few-new-home-truths-for-tottenham-and-andre-villasboas-8969474.html

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Who was AVB'S assistant at Porto? Maybe he needs to go out and get him. Not sure of Steffan Freuds credentials. Or maybe should take Meulensteen off of Fulham's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Interesting article from Patrick Barclay in the Standard during the week.

Full article http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/patrick-barclay-a-few-new-home-truths-for-tottenham-and-andre-villasboas-8969474.html
    Stadium thing is a red herring. Arsenal had a much better side at highbury than they've ever had since moving into the emirates.
    Manager still spent 100m no matter what way its dressed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Has AVB been on Talksport yet to say QPR played like 'a bunch of strangers today'? That's how it works, right? :D:D:D:D

Advertisement