Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AVB Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

beIN SPORT @beinsport 12m
    André Villas-Boas ne serait plus entraîneur de Tottenham #LECLUB

translates as André Villas-Boas no longer coach of Tottenham

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dripple

Come on the pool!!! Very surprised with the result, I thought a draw at the start was the best we could hope for but 5-0 I cant believe it. I still think top 4 is our priority, as for spurs it doesnt look good at all. Sack avb now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Spurs fans definitely becoming amongst the most delusional breed of fan.

Let's recap this:

Spurs are 7th in the league (8 points from top)
    Quarter Final of League Cup
    Last-32 Europa League
    Lots of new players who all need time to gel.
    More importantly 4 of the next 6 league games in no particular order are: Crystal Palace, Stoke, West Brom, Southampton.

And you all want the manager sacked?

Spurs are not Bayern Munich. They're not Real Madrid. They're not even Manchester United (who incidentally are below them in the league). Point being this isn't an outlandish fall from grace from the perennial champions.

In fact, if you take aside the poor standard of play and take aside that it's fairly turgid stuff, if you take aside the spankings to City & Pool.......take it all aside......

Spurs are effectively only 3 or 4 points off where AvB would want them at this point in the season!

you'd swear they are languishing in the relegation zone by some of your comments!!

Are they still in contention for the title? Of course they are! Outsiders? yes, Contention? yes.

Are they still in contention for top 4 which represents progress? yes! Of course!

Can they still land a trophy this year? of course by all means! Spank West Ham in the 1/4s and they're 2 games from a trophy. And they have every chance in the Europa League on their European form.

I'm not a massive fan of AVB by any means but he's genuinely not that far off where Spurs should be with less than half a season played. 3 points. Maybe even 2!

So you sack Harry who had you in the top 4, if you sack AVB then you're sending out what signal? That you're wannabe Chelski and want to pump £100m at the title and get instant results.

Good luck with that! Pumping money at it can't work, full stop, Man City are richer than anybody else and if that's the game you want to play there's only one winner.

Someone needs a lot of time to get the top 4 then title at Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

dripple wrote: »
    Come on the pool!!! Very surprised with the result, I thought a draw at the start was the best we could hope for but 5-0 I cant believe it. I still think top 4 is our priority, as for spurs it doesnt look good at all. Sack avb now

So surprised you needed to post twice. Twitter seems have AVB sacked, the question is who comes in if he goes? Di Matteo till the end of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

duffman13 wrote: »
    So surprised you needed to post twice. Twitter seems have AVB sacked, the question is who comes in if he goes? Di Matteo till the end of the season?

Capello according to sky Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'll be really disappointed if he goes. I really want him to succeed, but something is wrong. In any one season you can expect a team like Spurs to have one, maybe two freak results. We've already had three, two of which were at home. To not even have one shot on goal at home today is just completely unacceptable and points to major problems.

AVB still has a chance to save this season but he'll need a lot of things to go right and the way the season has gone so far that's unlikely to happen. Plus, all the other teams in the top 7 are playing better than us. I'm disappointed for him, the club and the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

If avb wants to save his job he needs to change the system now, we are too predictable. It's in his own hands plus bae needs to be recalled or else try for a Lb in the window.

Hoddle as interim manager is being mentioned on forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Let's recap this:

Last-32 Europa League
    More importantly 4 of the next 6 league games in no particular order are: Crystal Palace, Stoke, West Brom, Southampton.

Spurs are not Bayern Munich. They're not Real Madrid. They're not even Manchester United (who incidentally are below them in the league). Point being this isn't an outlandish fall from grace from the perennial champions.

In fact, if you take aside the poor standard of play and take aside that it's fairly turgid stuff, if you take aside the spankings to City & Pool.......take it all aside......

Spurs are effectively only 3 or 4 points off where AvB would want them at this point in the season!

you'd swear they are languishing in the relegation zone by some of your comments!!

Are they still in contention for the title? Of course they are! Outsiders? yes, Contention? yes.

Are they still in contention for top 4 which represents progress? yes! Of course!

Can they still land a trophy this year? of course by all means! Spank West Ham in the 1/4s and they're 2 games from a trophy. And they have every chance in the Europa League on their European form.

I'm not a massive fan of AVB by any means but he's genuinely not that far off where Spurs should be with less than half a season played. 3 points. Maybe even 2!

So you sack Harry who had you in the top 4, if you sack AVB then you're sending out what signal? That you're wannabe Chelski and want to pump £100m at the title and get instant results.

Good luck with that! Pumping money at it can't work, full stop, Man City are richer than anybody else and if that's the game you want to play there's only one winner.

Excellent post. Not a spurs fan myself, but entirely agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Let's recap this:

Last-32 Europa League

YES!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Let's recap this:

Last-32 Europa League

Thats a fair observation but it's as much about the performances as it is about the results.

There -6 on goal difference. There the only team (except toon on -1) in the top ten in negative figures.
    Close on €60m spent on lamela and soldado and both have done nothing for whatever reasons.

Maybe he will turn it around but he will be very lucky to be given a chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

have to say today was a disgrace... BUT the calling for AVB's head is a classic example of knee jerk reactions that you would expect from alot of the fans but the prob is that is also typical of Levy, and thats why I fear for him.I honestly think you have to give him time. We played Naughton, Capoue and Dawson in the back 4 against the best striker in the league who is in the form of his life. :eek::eek: Daws suspension is the best thing that has happened from today as AVB was prob right in trying to off load him to QPR a while back, he really has been awful. You have to say that the players just weren't up for it whatsoever today and deserved what they got. Id love o sya that all this talk of replacements is also out of order, but we are talking about levy and I really do fear for AVB.

I was always someone who backed him, but I'm not sure he deserves a chance. It all boils down to the managers tactics, not just in this game, but all season.
    • The PL has to be our priority over all other competitions.
    • Playing Dawson in a high line is suicidal.
    • Playing two holding midfielders at home.
    • Soldado getting no service.
    • Inverted wingers.
    • Playing players out of position.
    • Slow passing.
    • Poor movement off the ball.
    Must I go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

he got a fair crack of the whip
    time for someone new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

have to say today was a disgrace... BUT the calling for AVB's head is a classic example of knee jerk reactions that you would expect from alot of the fans but the prob is that is also typical of Levy, and thats why I fear for him.I honestly think you have to give him time. We played Naughton, Capoue and Dawson in the back 4 against the best striker in the league who is in the form of his life. :eek::eek: Daws suspension is the best thing that has happened from today as AVB was prob right in trying to off load him to QPR a while back, he really has been awful. You have to say that the players just weren't up for it whatsoever today and deserved what they got. Id love o sya that all this talk of replacements is also out of order, but we are talking about levy and I really do fear for AVB.

I completely agree with all of this.

Though I think AVB needs to go on a serious winning streak to save hus job..... I just can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

the point is the performances. we're awful most of the time.i really want avb to do well but to be taken apart at home like that is a straw too far

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Didn't see the game, and won't be watching the highlights, but i still don't think he should be sacked. There's no chance of us getting top 4 in our current form, but that's not going to change by bringing in a new manager (at least not this season). Plus, there's no one of note that we'd be able to get at the moment.

There's obviously something wrong with the team, as there's no way we should be playing this badly. I just can't figure out what it is tbh.

Also, wanting Harry back? **** sake lads...we've a short memory if that's the change we're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

**** the 'Harry back" sh1te.

The Axe is hanging above his head from now on so its only a matter of when, not if.

A top 4 finish will save him until next year but even a top 4 finish next year might not be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Kiith wrote: »
    Didn't see the game, and won't be watching the highlights, but i still don't think he should be sacked. There's no chance of us getting top 4 in our current form, but that's not going to change by bringing in a new manager (at least not this season). Plus, there's no one of note that we'd be able to get at the moment.

There's obviously something wrong with the team, as there's no way we should be playing this badly. I just can't figure out what it is tbh.

Also, wanting Harry back? **** sake lads...we've a short memory if that's the change we're looking for.
    I must have a short memory what was wrong with the harry reign? Two top four finishes and a quarter finals in the champions league, entertaining football and not to mention saving us from relegation when he first took over. Sorry lads but he might have been tactically inferior in some parts compared to some managers but he played 2 up top and got results while entertaining.
    Stop this Harry hating for **** sake he was a decent manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Completely unprofessional in relation to the England Job. We were on the verge of something special that season.

He was to blame, not his players, not even Levy. I'm not a Levy fan but at least there was some form of accountability for that end of season cock up

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »
    I must have a short memory what was wrong with the harry reign? Two top four finishes and a quarter finals in the champions league, entertaining football and not to mention saving us from relegation when he first took over. Sorry lads but he might have been tactically inferior in some parts compared to some managers but he played 2 up top and got results while entertaining.

Yes, a decent manager who we supported through illness and his court case only for him to throw that in our faces talking himself up for the england job costing us 4th place. Since then he's been whoring himself to the media making comments about us out the window of his Landrover. No way he can come back, nor do we want him.

De Boer would be a great option, he'd build an attacking team around Verts and Eriksen

Completely unprofessional in relation to the England Job. We were on the verge of something special that season.

He was to blame, not his players, not even Levy. I'm not a Levy fan but at least there was some form of accountability for that end of season cock up
    yeah he was to blame for the England job whoring, but who got us in to those positions? He did! He was a quality manager I don't think anyone would disagree, just the fact that he went out of the way to manage his national team which by the way if he was irish and he done that I don't think we'd be moaning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Just on the Harry thing. It is as simple as this for me, I loved how his teams played and I loved how we entertained everybody and got bloody results. I know getting him back is not the way forward but for me his positives outweigh any negatives that are being thrown at him regarding his time in charge.

yeah he was to blame for the England job whoring, but who got us in to those positions? He did! He was a quality manager I don't think anyone would disagree, just the fact that he went out of the way to manage his national team which by the way if he was irish and he done that I don't think we'd be moaning!

That's what you get with HR, he even made comments to the press today about our performance. This is totally unprofessional, what other managers comment on other teams. Ask West Ham and Southhampton fans why they hate him, I'm starting to feel the same way. He's a media whore who craves attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

redknapp is not the mangager of our club and never should be welcomed back for the way he treated us and his chums in the media currently do. As a manger he has won an fa cup, relegated two teams, helped 'bankrupt' another and has found his level at QPR. Why he consistently gets talked about still in this forum is embarrassing to be honest and just follows suit of the current anti AVB discourse within the british media. We are still ahead of the same Utd team that won the league at a canter last season, despite brining in 7 new players and losing our best, but does Moyes get the same treatment.... not a chance, Utd are in transition is what we hear.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't hate him, but it was the right move to get rid of him at the time. He royally screwed us over in trying to get the England job, and i hated his relationship with the press. He was more concerned with interviews than he was with the team.

Yeah, we played entertaining football when he was there, but tactically he was pretty clueless. Wanting him back would be a massive step backwards imo.

That's what you get with HR, he even made comments to the press today about our performance. This is totally unprofessional, what other managers comment on other teams. Ask West Ham and Southhampton fans why they hate him, I'm starting to feel the same way. He's a media whore who craves attention.
    agreed but hes one of the best man managers out there and he got great results.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

avb is hardly a tactical nouse

redknapp is not the mangager of our club and never should be welcomed back for the way he treated us and his chums in the media currently do. As a manger he has won an fa cup, relegated two teams, helped 'bankrupt' another and has found his level at QPR. Why he consistently gets talked about still in this forum is embarrassing to be honest and just follows suit of the current anti AVB discourse within the british media. We are still ahead of the same Utd team that won the league at a canter last season, despite brining in 7 new players and losing our best, but does Moyes get the same treatment.... not a chance, Utd are in transition is what we hear.

I could not give a crap what United are doing to be honest, I can see with my own two eyes how badly we are performing, I am not calling for AVB's head but will not sit back and let him get away without criticism. Bottom line is we have gone backwards in a big way and look further away from making the top 4 than we have in quite a while.

• Advertisement

avb is hardly a tactical nouse

There seems to be perception that he is a tactical genius, but has yet to prove that in his time in England. I really really hope that he turns out to be one but I have my doubts.

Advertisement