Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AVB Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Saab Ed is on the arsenal page in the general soccer forum telling the fans how good AVB is. I kid you not. I had to read it twice to be sure !!!!

Oh I've been eating humble pie on that one for a while now. I could not have been more wrong. I'll put my hands up and say it. Even non spurs fans mates of mine give me a ribbing every time I mention how happy I am with him. I suspect I'll be hearing it for a while yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Oh I've been eating humble pie on that one for a while now. I could not have been more wrong. I'll put my hands up and say it. Even non spurs fans mates of mine give me a ribbing every time I mention how happy I am with him. I suspect I'll be hearing it for a while yet :D

It's one of them situations when your glad your wrong, like I wish I am wrong about adebayor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

"not comparing as such - just stating that both jol & harry brought their teams as far as they could and that what was lacking in terms of cutting edge was a tactical one... we have lost some crucial games in the last two three years where everyone has questioned the thought process behind selection, positions, dead ball strategy etc etc etc - would just like to see a tactical guy in now to improve what we have..."

said this back at the start of year and delighted to see how much the team has developed under AVB - he cant do much with the fact that levy wont buy a striker etc - but the teams shape, movement, etc has come on leaps and bounds. To see spurs players harry (excuse the pun!! ) and hound the arsenal team in the last 15mins was great especially as it was done as part of a system and not off the cuff!!

long way to go - but progress is being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Another good article for those of you feeling good about the way AVB has changed the team/club since his arrival.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/mar/03/andre-villas-boas-tottenham?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

The impressive thing IMO is how he (AVB) is doing such good work with, again my opinion, a slightly weaker team.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

In fairness, he's doing a cracking job. I didn't want him and I was disgusted when Harry went. It's great to be proved wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Why! Don't you like a contradictory opinion. Are you a sheep (like the mod on this forum who does understand the words moderation and without bias. There's your excuse to ban me i e. Personal abuse as you call it or opinion as its known. ) Let me remind you that this is the only time we've played well this season. Close this thread in march when we're 3rd.
    You heard the man. Close her up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

dont care about spurs at all but what i will say is i hope they finish (way) above chelski and show up RA for the eejit he is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

shinkansen wrote: »
    dont care about spurs at all but what i will say is i hope they finish (way) above chelski and show up RA for the eejit he is.

Don't care about chelsea. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

AVB is in Sunday Times mag this weekend, A life in the day.

Read it today, interesting day he has!!

"At 63.3%, AVB has the best win % of any Spurs manager in the Premier League era."

Not too shabby.

I have had nothing but positive things to say about AVB and as a whole, he's doing a fine job.

Regarding last night, shocked he started Gallas. Caulker must be out of favour because last night was another fine opportunity to play him. I'll say it again, parker and dembele are being overplayed. I know Livermore is not everyones favourite but he should be involved more, as should carroll, even Huddletone. This idea of sticking with the same 2 for every single game is madness in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Could it be possible that he had a gentleman's agreement with Gallas for him to play in Europe? Sounds ludicrous, just trying to figure out a logical answer? Otherwise he should only be played when were stretched with injuries, last night wasn't one of those times. Totally agree with the middle two. Was Carroll even on the bench?

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Could it be possible that he had a gentleman's agreement with Gallas for him to play in Europe? Sounds ludicrous, just trying to figure out a logical answer? Otherwise he should only be played when were stretched with injuries, last night wasn't one of those times. Totally agree with the middle two. Was Carroll even on the bench?

No place for sentiment or gentlemens agreements when you get to this stage of the season, the same goes for Friedel. If we are serious about winning this competition, we play our best side to a certain degree, but your keeper should be your keeper, and Gallas is simply not good enough any more.

Carroll is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Sugarlumps wrote: »

I'd say this is likely, I'd imagine Gallas asked for some kinda guarantees if he was to stay and AVB gave him Europa League. Possibly gave Friedel the same.

It's unfortunate cos Gallas is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I know people (including myself) make comments all the time on here about 'such and such isnt good enough', 'not a spurs player', 'not top 4 standard' etc but at least we all agree on Gallas. What is his deal, i bet he's a locker room snitch or something- he's probably the guy who goes back to AVB and tells him who said what and did what in the squad - player X was out clubbing 2 nights ago, player Y has a gamblin problem and so on - I cant see any other reason why AVB keeps him around ... either that or he's got serious dirt on AVB, a few dodgy photo's or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

AVB being touted as the next Real manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Seems to have all being started by Mata saying he's good enough to coach any team in the world. Nothing in it, as of yet anyway.
    Nothing in either AS or Marca, and the latter usually are first (and most reliable) with Real related news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

We'll do a swap for Mourinho :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

SuprSi wrote: »
    We'll do a swap for Mourinho :D

Woudn't want him, Mourinho is a smash and grab manager, leaves you in tatters after 3 years

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Woudn't want him, Mourinho is a smash and grab manager, leaves you in tatters after 3 years

I'm not Levy's biggest fan but to be fair to him I dont think he'd allow that to happen, or certainly not to the extent of what has gone on at Milan.

I'd take mourihno without a 2nd thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

We've gone so long without a major trophy (the League Cup is nice, but not a major trophy) that I think it would be mad not to want Mourinho. Whatever else about him, he virtually guarantees success.

Pointless talking about it really though, as we'll never land him. We're best off counting our blessings at how unbelievably stupid Abramovich was in sacking AVB, otherwise I think we would have found very difficult to come by a top class manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Any fear he would be a target for man utd now. ?

None.

Not yet. Far too soon. Maybe if he got us into the top 4 for three or four seasons in a row.
    United have their pick of just about any manager on the planet, no way they will go for AVB, thankfully.

The new manager might fancy Bale though, that's a more realistic worry.

Hate Adrian Durham and talk****e... They are so anti spurs is a disgrace...

Have a listen to this though! Spot on.

http://m.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/adrian-durham-talksport-anti-spurs-rant-silenced-for-4-minutes-by-a-tottenham-fan/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Good little piece here by Martin Cloake.
    http://blog.martincloake.com/2013/05/09/avb-he-should-be-so-lucky/

Wonder why Souness's made the comments. Phil Thompson and Ronnie Whelan often seem share the same disdain when commentating on Spurs. Did we upset them at some stage?

League Cup - Beaten away to Norwich by 2 late goals. Dissapointing.
    FA Cup - Beaten at Leeds, very dissapointing performance on the day.
    Europa League - Good run to the last 8 despite some poor performances along the way, if only we could take penalties, we could have gone all the way.
    EPL - Very good points tally despite missing out on the main objective. 72 points would get you top 4 most seasons but like last year, we miss out on CL football by the smallest of margins. The obvious highlight was the performances and goals of Bale, hopefully we can keep him for at least another year. Some highs and lows along the way, throwing it away in both games on Merseyside, losing at home to Wigan and Fulham, picking up 3 pts at OT for the first time in a long time, beating last seasons champions at the lane, Bale in injury time at West Ham.... if anything, it's been entertaining once again.

I'm impressed with our manager, I like him, I like the way he talks and the way he acts. We shouldn't be too down hearted. We have some very good young players, with Sandro, Kaboul, Rose and Townsend to come back in to the frame. It's vital we keep Bale, and if we do, well who knows....

COYS

• Advertisement

Napoli have apparently made an approach for our manager

Advertisement