Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AVB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Yeah? Dont follow the eye-talian footy, what kinda shape are they in, are they a serious option that AVB would consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Yeah? Dont follow the eye-talian footy, what kinda shape are they in, are they a serious option that AVB would consider?

Came second in Serie A last season. Genuinely not worried by this at all. Can't see a) us even considering it and b) the man himself being interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Very good side , looks like they might be selling there main man cavani though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

boom, this one's been put to bed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22684637

AVB bringing in Baldini as Technical Director by the looks of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Hatch99 wrote: »
    AVB bringing in Baldini as Technical Director by the looks of it

He's not going to score goals though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Sky Italy reporting that PSG are about to make a play for AVB. Probably horse manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

He'd be a fool to leave us, for many reasons.

THFC wrote: »
    He'd be a fool to leave us, for many reasons.

A lot more money on both a personal level and transfer level, CL football...

Yes, but things are going well for him at Spurs, he's building a very good squad and he's getting back his status as a top manager. If he left for another club, especially a bigger club, he'd be taking a huge risk. As regards to player management he didn't do a good job at Chelsea, so he does have a bit to learn, Spurs is an ideal place for him to do that.
    Most players only retire at the age he is now, he's only 35! He could easily spend the next 10 years with us and still go on to manage 3 or 4 of the biggest clubs in Europe, a la Mourinho. Whereas, if he left now, and failed, he'd have a harder time rebuilding his reputation, as clubs like Spurs would be disinclined to give him a shot knowing that after one good season he'd be willing to jump ship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

THFC wrote: »
    Yes, but things are going well for him at Spurs, he's building a very good squad and he's getting back his status as a top manager. If he left for another club, especially a bigger club, he'd be taking a huge risk. As regards to player management he didn't do a good job at Chelsea, so he does have a bit to learn, Spurs is an ideal place for him to do that.
    Most players only retire at the age he is now, he's only 35! He could easily spend the next 10 years with us and still go on to manage 3 or 4 of the biggest clubs in Europe, a la Mourinho. Whereas, if he left now, and failed, he'd have a harder time rebuilding his reputation, as clubs like Spurs would be disinclined to give him a shot knowing that after one good season he'd be willing to jump ship.

i agree, i think he wants to build something at spurs and now that jose is back in the premiership then avb will want to get the better of him.

i dont think there is any chance of him leaving this summer. if bale is sold next summer and avb isnt given any money then he could leave next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

indeed, it's a no brainer

but thats the way it works under ENIC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Sky Italy reporting that PSG are about to make a play for AVB. Probably horse manure.

Do you remember when this thread was titled 'The AVB doesn't have a clue thread'. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's Summer. I rattle around my house at the weekends and throughout the mid week evenings.

All work and no play makes DubPerryman a dull boy..... n'all that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I imagine the last billionaire buy all club he worked for would have left a sour taste in his mouth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

He won't leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

I imagine the last billionaire buy all club he worked for would have left a sour taste in his mouth :D

Succeeding Carlo Ancelotti too, ironically.

PSG are after Laudrup, so say all the more reliable journos on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It's not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

"I'm looking forward to next season. I think there will be big changes in every team and the managerial changes (at Chelsea and the Manchester teams) will see different ways of playing.

"Other teams will look to create strong teams and we will look to do the same, and build a strong, competitive side."

Link

First quote is an indication that he's going nowhere.

Second quote is an indication that he's looking to spend this summer so here's hoping we see some movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

irishmover wrote: »
    Link

First quote is an indication that he's going nowhere.

Second quote is an indication that he's looking to spend this summer so here's hoping we see some movement.

I like what I'm hearing. Let's hope it translates into something tangible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Great enthusiasm about the manager from Benny:

“He’s from a new generation of manager so he sees the football in a different way – it’s a different way to work."

“It’s not so cool when you change managers but when you have a manager who comes in who has big positivity, has big professionalism and has a different way to work, it is cool.”
    http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/sport/10577751._/

I like reading people and in today's press conference AVB looked very uneasy when talking about Bale. While his mood lightened a bit later in the press conference.

Now I don't know AVB personally but, it would suggest to me that he was REALLY pissed off or being forced to tell untruths.

This could stem from the fact AVB was given a guarantee Bale won't be sold and said so publicly, now he has to talk about the sale of Bale publicly. That would really p!ss me off. The most worrying thing about this whole Bale thing is that we could lose AVB.

For example, if the Barca job or PSG job came available again, I think he would be far less inclined to turn them down now that guarantees he'd received turned out to be lies.

Any views?

Now I don't know AVB personally but, it would suggest to me that he was REALLY pissed off or being forced to tell untruths.

With regard to the 'untruths' part. Maybe the whole theory of this being part of the Spurs/RM partnership (i.e. us increasing our global brand by being linked to a world record transfer) is true.

So AVB looked uneasy at the start of the interview saying "Bale is going", when he knows it's all a big lie.

Interestingly, he giggled when one of the journalists said "surely it's done deal?" - he said with a giggle and smile, "ya never know..."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Depends on who AVB is p1ssed with. Is he annoyed with Bale or Levy.

I'm sure if Levy gave those guarantees then he meant them, but between the ridiculous amount of money and the fact that Bale forced the transfer, I don't think it is reasonable for AVB to be annoyed with DL. (Am I really defending DL? christ, I must be coming down with something).
    It would be different if Bale said he was content to stay and then DL shook hands with RM because of the huge offer on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

AVB is not so naive to think that Bale was gonna stay should a world record bid come in (irrespective of what promises were made). I'd say, if he's pissed off ,its just the anxiety of having to keep quite on something that the dogs on the street knew to be true. Remember once it was confirmed, the prices of our targets would have went mega mental. I'd say its relief of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Flip that argument around. Supposed AVB & Levy had agreed that they would sell Bale once the money was impossible to refuse. Do you think AVB would have came out two months ago and said "yes I have agreed with the Chairman that Bale can be sold"......? Not a chance!

The point is, who knows what was agreed. AVB is the only Spurs member of staff who speaks to the media, Levy may have said to him "maintain the status quo, our best player will not be sold, unless" and when Madrid come knocking with a cheque for €80m you can spend it and the money we recoup from other sales on overhauling the squad with as many quality players as you need.

AVB: "Daniel, I would like a personal shopper too, can I have Baldini?"

Levy: "yes Andre, but you better win me the fcukin League!":D

Advertisement