Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

price of fags,newspapers.

• 03-09-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone can explain to me why cigarettes and newspapers are always the same prices in shops?is this not just one country wide cartel?
    does any one know of any where that sells for above or below the recommended retail price,apart from cig machines?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

The price is printed on the front of the newspapers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they're things the shops use to get people in and once they're in they might buy a snickers or bottle of coke, where the profit lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

howyanow wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone can explain to me why cigarettes and newspapers are always the same prices in shops?is this not just one country wide cartel?
    does any one know of any where that sells for above or below the recommended retail price,apart from cig machines?

think hard now, you can do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Fags? So many jokes, so many possibilities of getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

It would probably be because the price of both are regulated. The government works out the tax on cigarettes from the retail price to the tune of 73%. Vending machines have a derogation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Price of a news paper is set and printed on it. A shop can charge less if it wants.
    Ciggs have a min set price by the government (i think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The gubberment is so concerned for our health and well-being that they don't want us to buy cheap fags.*

* Might be bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The shops profit on the fags is marginal, tiny, they just have them because customers will look for them.

There is no room to undercut anyone else, supermarkets don't even bother.

The price of the paper is fixed by the newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Smokes and newspapers are not the same price. Am I missing something?

Edit: It just clicked :o
    Answer: I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

i know the price is on the paper and that is partly my point.if petrol was the same price everywhere would people not be saying that its a cartel and not competitive.the price of nearly everything else varies from place to place but these two items seem to be the same price everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

ps the recommended retail price is up to each individual retailer,thats why i feel it more unusual than nobody will go to a different price level than the rest,no need to highlight it for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

All the news agents just happened to be on the same golf course one day by "coincidence". There's no law against that is there?

Certain understandings were reached.

No handshakes. No written contracts. And very little talk. Mostly some nods were exchanged, there was a bit of talk about "numbers" on score cards.

That's all it took. The price was FIXED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm sure the church would rather people didn't take fags home from the shop with them at all... them being bad for your health when you suck on them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Smokes and newspapers are not the same price. Am I missing something?

Edit: It just clicked :o
    Answer: I dunno.
    you should be worried that it didnt click straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

you should be worried that it didnt click straight away.

I came to terms with the fact I'm thick a while ago :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

If you smoke illegal fags and steal the newspaper you will have solved this problem.

Down with the system man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

My mate is a newsagent. Cigs are the only items at a fixed price in a newsagent. The profit margin is on average, 9%.

Newspapers have a recommended retail price but the retailer can charge what they want but stick with the RRP. The profit margin is around 25%.

Most shops round up the profit on imported magazines as the priced is usually only in STG£.

Prices of sweets, greeting cards, soft drinks etc fluctuate greatly. These items are generally most expensive in some of the chains (Centra, Spar etc) and well located petrol stations.

Cigs are the same price everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

No need for a newspaper if you have an iphone, even for cleaning up after your puppy's mess. Sure if you have an iphone you'll become so insufferable that the dog will simply leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

They're different issues.

1) Newspaper prices are set by the sellers [the newspapers], they won't allow a shop to sell them for a lesser price - i.e. they will withdraw supply if a shop decided to unilaterally offer them for half price or whatever.

2) Cig prices are set according to a number of compositions - first the Government excise take which is set not on the sale price but on the Kg price of tobacco - then a round up to allow for profit for the Cig Co, then a round up to allow a set % profit for the shops. Finally round up on top of all that to allow for VAT [cigs are subject to excise at point of entry, as well as vat on sale].

What they [cigs and newspapers] have in common is that they are a high demand item for shops and that the margins involved to all the commercial parties [i.e. supplier companies, distributors and shops] are relatively very small. Shops are happy to carry them despite the low margin as they are a good customer draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Guill wrote: »
    Fags? So many jokes, so many possibilities of getting banned.

Go for it. The floor's yours. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

In UCD the Irish Times is only 80 cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

No need for a newspaper if you have an iphone, even for cleaning up after your puppy's mess. Sure if you have an iphone you'll become so insufferable that the dog will simply leave.

You can't swat flies with an iPhone

Advertisement