Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lane Minnow

Options
  • 03-09-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭

Looking for a few lane minnow baits, as a Pike took a liking to one of the old ones at the weekend. I looked up the website and they are €45 each, for the old hand painted ones. Does anyone know somewhere that has a stock of old lane minnows, or something similar?
    Not really interested in the mass produced versions that I have seen so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Looking for a few lane minnow baits, as a Pike took a liking to one of the old ones at the weekend. I looked up the website and they are €45 each, for the old hand painted ones. Does anyone know somewhere that has a stock of old lane minnows, or something similar?

Johnny conway in tralee makes conway minnows, they are excellent minnows his making them for years and are used all over kerry. Check out landers in tralee they sell them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Hi Dan, Do you know of anywhere else that sells the Conway Minnows?
    Landers won't have them again until January. They sold what they had in the sale.

am i can get you johnny conways number i'll send it to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    i've been looking for the old lane minnows also, the new shiny ones are useless. anyone that might be thinking of retiring their baitbox is probably our best chance :D, seems to be extremely difficult to locate any!!

bayliner wrote: »
    i've been looking for the old lane minnows also, the new shiny ones are useless. anyone that might be thinking of retiring their baitbox is probably our best chance :D, seems to be extremely difficult to locate any!!

The new ones are not the same product at all..
    http://laneoutdoors.com/shop/lane-minnows/lane-minnows.html

€45+ per bait is a bit much for these.
    http://laneoutdoors.com/shop/lane-minnows/original-handmade/original-handmade-lane-minnow-blue-gold.html

When Dan gets Johnny Conways number, hopefully he will have what I am looking for at a reasonable price.

He must be doing something right if Landers sold all the stock they had.

• Advertisement

the price for the flies is near 15euro, but if you read it carefully its for 6, 45euro for one lane minnow is mental!! suppose they dont want to make them

Managed to pick up a few of the old lane minnows on ebay :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I have a box of old handmade lane minnow type baits. A few dozen of the rotating shell and a few of the hook/swivels wire centre inserts.

I dont Salmon fish or use the minnows for trout so have no use for them. I will take a pic or two and pop them up here and they might be of some use to some of you.

This is not an advert :)

Cant give Mr conways number as it be against Boards.ie rules... i was put in prison for a few weeks!!

tin79 wrote: »
    I have a box of old handmade lane minnow type baits. A few dozen of the rotating shell and a few of the hook/swivels wire centre inserts.

I dont Salmon fish or use the minnows for trout so have no use for them. I will take a pic or two and pop them up here and they might be of some use to some of you.

This is not an advert :)
    def be interested!!! how many and how much? in decent nick? :)

• Advertisement

def be interested!!! how many and how much? in decent nick? :)

I have no idea really. I must take a look. Got them all in a tin box from a friends father who passed. I will check this week. It would be nice to think they a use to someone.

I have no idea really. I must take a look. Got them all in a tin box from a friends father who passed. I will check this week. It would be nice to think they a use to someone.
    i fish with my dad and my kids, so usually 3 generations in the same boat:), we use the lane minnows especially in early season, but throughout the yr really, but only the old ones, the REAL lane minnows,SURE he makes new ones,but they arent a patch on the old ones!!!
    would love to EVEN have at LOOK at these to see if they even the same, or similar,

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Cant give Mr conways number as it be against Boards.ie rules... i was put in prison for a few weeks!!

Sorry about that Dan

i fish with my dad and my kids, so usually 3 generations in the same boat:),

Thats what is great about fishing, isn't it. Our baits are on to the 4th generation now.

i fish with my dad and my kids, so usually 3 generations in the same boat:), we use the lane minnows especially in early season, but throughout the yr really, but only the old ones, the REAL lane minnows,SURE he makes new ones,but they arent a patch on the old ones!!!
    would love to EVEN have at LOOK at these to see if they even the same, or similar,

Hello Bayliner

I managed to dig out the box of them. There are 105 in total. Approximately 10 of these have the inserts with treble hooks and the rest are just the tubes. I guess you could make up the inserts easily enough.

They go from around 9cm long for the largest ones (lenght of the tube) down to 3cm for the very smallest ones.

Some look comercially made but some are definitely knock-up homemade jobs :) (see pics below). Most are in ok condition but there is some paint flecking off etc. I have no idea how old they are but some look pretty aged. I think they could be shined or painted easily enough.

I tried a couple on the canal and they do work and spin. There are plastic and metal ones.

All i know abou them is that they were given to my father by a guy called paul Maher whose father died in 1990. They belonged to the father but Paul didnt fish. They were used mostly for Salmon fishing in the southern Rivers (the Slaney and the Suir so my father says) and one of the ones in the box had his personal best salmon of 23lbs though I have no idea which one.

I have kept 5 or so myself (seperate to the 105 in the pic).

I would like to see them in a good home. If you would be interested in them they are yours. PM me if you are interested and will organize to get them to you.

Tin

DSCN0417.jpg

DSCN04161.jpg

DSCN0414.jpg

Hello Bayliner

I managed to dig out the box of them. There are 105 in total. Approximately 10 of these have the inserts with treble hooks and the rest are just the tubes. I guess you could make up the inserts easily enough.

They go from around 9cm long for the largest ones (lenght of the tube) down to 3cm for the very smallest ones.

Some look comercially made but some are definitely knock-up homemade jobs :) (see pics below). Most are in ok condition but there is some paint flecking off etc. I have no idea how old they are but some look pretty aged. I think they could be shined or painted easily enough.

I tried a couple on the canal and they do work and spin. There are plastic and metal ones.

All i know abou them is that they were given to my father by a guy called paul Maher whose father died in 1990. They belonged to the father but Paul didnt fish. They were used mostly for Salmon fishing in the southern Rivers (the Slaney and the Suir so my father says) and one of the ones in the box had his personal best salmon of 23lbs though I have no idea which one.

I have kept 5 or so myself (seperate to the 105 in the pic).

I would like to see them in a good home. If you would be interested in them they are yours. PM me if you are interested and will organize to get them to you.

Tin

DSCN0417.jpg

DSCN04161.jpg

DSCN0414.jpg

pm send there tin, cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

Hello Tin - sorry to say these are not Lane Minnows - if they were they'd be very valuable. They seem to be Devon minnows - sorry.

Advertisement