Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Phone/Internet Bundle

• 03-09-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Moving in to a new house, only looking for internet, no tv or phone required, but was quoted from UPC that to get an internet only package (basic, 25mb) was €44.88 per month, whereas a phone and same speed internet bundle costs €42 per month. So does anyone know if there is any disadvantage to getting the cheaper phone & internet package but just not use the phone element of it, therefore not racking up any charges through calls?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Absolutely none - that's the same way I have the 50Mb package with phone but have never used the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Absolutely none - that's the same way I have the 50Mb package with phone but have never used the phone

we would probably need more information before we can be that definitive :)

for example, AnotherTool says he is moving to a new house,
    but does he mean a newly constructed house or a second-hand house?
    If second-hand, the previous owner may have had an Eircom Phonewatch alarm, so AnotherTool would need to read these threads about Eircom Phonewatch & UPC phone
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76596022
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78739062

Also, if AnotherTool is very particular about crackle/interference on his phone, he would need to read Solair's post about quality of UPC phone service
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77361501&postcount=92

If electricity goes, AnotherTool has to use their mobile phone to make a phone call.

Finally, for all we know AnotherTool is a social pariah, and as the nice man from the CWU said on the television, these people need to be able to use the excuse of paying a (eircom line rental) bill in a post office to get out and meet people. With UPC, there is no eircom line rental, and UPC offers a financial incentive for people to pay by DirectDebit, AnotherTool misses out on the trip to the post office. :(

As regards their price per minute on a phonecall relative to Eircom, not sure how they compare? but AnotherTool said he wouldn't be using "the phone element" so not an issue i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In the original post he says he's not looking for phone, You can take it that UPC would have checked his address if quoting prices.

If he doesn't use the phone but got the bundle price, then how can he be charged extra?

Maybe you're being clever, I don't see it though.

Advertisement