Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Ingredient of the Week 1: Berries

Options
  • 03-09-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭

So, at the suggestion of Darkginger we are kicking off Ingredient of the Week with recipes for Berries.

Please post your favourite berry-related recipes here.

tHB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

For this you need a delicious brown bread or cracker, and a tasty cheese like Wensleydale or Corleggy or the soft goat's cheese from Aldi that comes in a roll. Spread or slice the cheese on to the cracker or bread, drizzle with honey, top with a couple of redcurrants per square inch and a crumble of walnut. Fight 'em off.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Looking forward to seeing your recipes for blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, elderberries, hawthorn, rowan and raspberries (did I miss any?). Before we kick off, just a quick word about collecting wild berries (although may people will know this) - usually blackberries or elderberries, because they grow wild across the whole country. Try to collect your berries on a dry, warm day (yeah, I'm waiting for one!) and preferably away from busy roads.

If you're planning to make 'natural' wine, don't wash your berries before use, because you'll remove the wild yeasts that you'll need for them to ferment successfully. Personally, I don't wash any of my berries, no matter what I'm intending to use them for, because I collect from above 'dog leg height', and from places where there isn't much contamination. Rather than washing, just inspect the berries for bugs etc., and pick off by hand. This ensures maximum flavour. If you don't need the wild yeasts, feel free to wash your berries if at all nervous about not doing so!

Anyway, here's a recipe for a simple blackberry cordial, which can be drunk as is, or diluted for a long drink, or used as a sauce for desserts.

Ingredients:

2 pints of blackberries, freshly picked (I use a plastic jug to measure mine)
    200g sugar
    350ml water
    70cl vodka (1 bottle, use the cheapest you can find)

Equipment:

Start by making a sugar syrup with the water and sugar - just put the one in the other, and bring to the boil. Boil for about 10 mins, and put aside to cool (note - you don't want this to caramelise, it should remain colourless, not turn straw coloured - keep an eye on it).

Meanwhile, give the berries a whizz in a food processor, or find another way to squish them. Pour the result into a fine sieve, and strain the juice out, pressing down so you get as much as possible. Strain the juices again through a coffee filter, or muslin/cheesecloth if you have it. Try to get all the seeds and other bits out.

Combine 350ml of sugar syrup, all the berry juice and vodka and mix well. Strain into sterilised bottles, put a lid on and store somewhere cool and dark for a minimum of 6 months.

This would probably work just as well with strawberries or raspberries - not tried them yet, 'cos I'm a cheapskate and the blackberries are free!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jamie Oliver's ice cream is one I tried recently. Simple and tasty.

Donal Skehan's blueberry and banana breakfast muffins, though I've not tried these in ages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Black Oil, you're back! \o/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Should I be afraid? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No... >_>

We'd noticed you'd been AFK, so it's nice to see you back posting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Strawberry and feta salad - a firm favourite of mine. Sounds like an odd combination but it really works.

Simply mix together rocket, sliced red onion, cubed feta and hulled-and-halved strawberries in a bowl. To make the dressing, mix together equal parts of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add a small amount of wholegrain mustard, a dash of honey and some salt and pepper. Mix really well, dress the salad and serve.

I'm making it on Wednesday so I'll come back and post a photo then.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

Apple and Berry Crumble

this is something I just feck together-Blackberries are best with cooking apples. let em sit in a cup of sugar for a few hours.
    Mix equal quantities of porridge oats, ground almonds and plain flour and sugar with enough butter to make it crumbley texture- if its clumps of grease add more oats!
    Add tsp of sweet spice mix (i got a packet in an outlet centre- cinnamon, ginger, clove etc whatever u've got is fine).
    Zest of an orange mixed in. (u can add the juice to the fruit as well)
    Mix fruit and sugar (juice if using it) and top with crumble mix.
    Bake for 30 mins at 150-160!
    Serve hot with creme fraiche or icecream....

great one for kids to make ESP if theyve been picking the fruit with ya!

SIMPLES!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Jam.

When berries start getting soft and old, but aren't mouldy yet, don't throw them in the bin or onto the compost. Make jam. You don't need to make jam in quantities that make you feel like you're negotiating the kitchen with a bubbling vat of napalm. You can make it in single jar or two-jar quantities.

You just need an empty jam jar, fruit and sugar, possibly preserving sugar with added pectin if you're making jam from a fruit with low pectin. If you have a clean lid, great. If not, use greaseproof and a rubber band, or let the jar cool considerably and use plastic and a rubber band.

To make good jams and jellies, you need to understand pectin. Pectin is the natural setting agent present in fruit. Some fruits are richer in pectin than others. Quinces, for instance, are rich in pectin so when you make quince jelly you don't need to add a setting agent.

You can buy special jam sugar in the store that has added pectin. Alternatively you can add a high-pectin fruit substance to the pan while you're simmering your low-pectin fruit (e.g. quince cores or cooking apple cores).

Jam making is really quite simple. Mash your fruit slightly, and then add about the same weight of sugar as you have of fruit. Allow the sugar to dissolve in the fruit, and then begin to warm the mixture. Using overripe fruit for jam is great because you don't need to add water (mushy strawberries, for instance).

Simmer the fruit with the sugar until it's well cooked. In the meantime, scald out your jam jar and put it, empty, in the oven until the jam is ready. Pour the hot jam into the hot jar and leave somewhere out of reach to cool. If you put a lid on the hot jam, as it cools it'll create a preserving seal. (If you're re-using a lid with a security button, it'll pull the button back in).

You can use jam made like this for a few breakfasts, or use it to fill a sponge cake or add it as a surprise layer to sweet desserts.

You can get your sugar thermometer out and test temperatures, or you can use old methods like pouring a spoonful on a cold plate to see if the jam will set as it cools. The nice thing about making it in these small batches is you learn these tricks. Plus - it ALWAYS tastes better than the stuff you buy in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

This is a great idea, well done to those who thought of it.

Some of my favourites have already been covered, jam and crumble.

One thing that I make all year around (since discovering it) are muffins

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056063862

taken from week 42 of the 2010 cooking club, thanks to catho_monster. These are excellent with fresh berries or frozen.

• Advertisement

Just described this thread to my OH who proclaimed it to be a 'berry good idea'. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Jewelled quinoa. Take a cup of dry quinoa and cook in plenty of water or chicken stock with half a tsp of tumeric. Once tender, drain and cover with a clean tea towel to steam. Fry an onion until soft and add some shelled pistachios. Add cranberries, barberries and raisins and cook on a low heat with the onion and nuts until the raisins swell. Add the cooked quinoa, mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper. Add some chopped coriander. Serve with roast chicken pieces.

Jam again - for a quick 'n' dirty jam, get a bag of those frozen raspberries Lidl do, add sugar (in theory the same weight in sugar as in berries, but I use a fair bit less) and the juice of a lemon, cook until it's a nice bubbling mass, stirring as you go, and then pour it into sparkly clean jars that you've had warming in the oven. Keep in the fridge and eat in the next couple of weeks. Dee Licious. Lovely on scones, or with ice cream, or with yogurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Arctic berries dessert - easy peasy quick dessert! Serves 4-6
    Enough frozen berries (small berries of similar size eg blueberries, red/blackcurrants, raspberries etc), to cover 4 - 6 small plates (single layer); 1 pint cream; 1 large bar good quality white chocolate.
    Heat cream in small saucepan, remove from heat and add chocolate (broken into small pieces). Put 1 layer of berries on plate. Stir melted chocolate into warm cream and pour over berries - serve immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

This is a recipe to make with your children. Doesn't require cooking and is fun to make and eat.

Berry "Shaved" Ice

need:
    1 ice cube tray

3/4 cup fresh berries - raspberries, strawberries, blackberries or blueberries (You can also use other soft fruits- peaches, mango )

1 cup fruit juice- white grape juice is good raspberry juice or juice of your choice ( don't recommend juices that stain though)

Have child evenly divide berries or fruit among cups of ice cube tray. Top with your juice of choice. Freeze until solid. Unmold (child might need some help with this depending on age) Put the frozen fruit cubes in heavy duty freezer storage bag, trying to remove all the air. Seal bag.Let child gently roll or smash cubes to the consistency of shaved ice using a rolling pin . Spoon into pretty glasses garnish with a few whole berries or mint sprigs to serve. Enjoy. Don't forget to thank your child for making you this lovely treat :)

Blackberry Soup

2 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen

2 1/4 cups water

1 cinnamon stick

1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons potato starch *

whipped cream or plain yogurt for garnish

Bring your berries , the 2 cups water the cinnamon stick sugar and lemon juice to a boil. reduce heat, cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Strain through fine sieve or cheesecloth. throw away pulp and cinnamon stick.

Put strained juice back in saucepan. Taste. Adjust sugar and lemon to suit you taste. In a measuring cup dissolve the potato starchin the 1/4 cup water that remains; add to simmeringjuice ; sir until thickened. Cool covered in refrigerator. Serve with dollop of whipped cream or yogurt.

*Note- you can make this with any red fruit - cherries,strawberries,raspberries, cranberries etc. Adjust sugar and lemon by tasting as fruit sweetness varies considerably.

* About potato starch- gives a transparent look, you can use cornstarch but will be opaque.

Oh, that's just wrong.

Sounds good, though. Hm.

Aforementioned strawberry and feta salad - before dressing is put on.

strawberryandfetasalad.jpg

oh, that looks soooo good. Fresh and pretty. yum.

Berry smoothies: frozen Lidl berries, natural yogurt, honey, a leaf of mint: whizz and serve.

• Advertisement

While this cake doesn't use fresh berries it does use jam.
    Jam Layer Cake

3/4 cup shortening
    1 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    1 cup srawberry or blackberry jam
    2 cups sifted all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking soda (bread soda?) 1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    3 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 cup buttermilk or sour milk

Mix shortening and sugar, stir in eggs until blended. Add jam - mix well. Sift dry ingredients together. Stir into cream mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into greased and floured 9x13 inch oblong pan or 2 greased and floured -9 inch layer pans. Bake in 350 *F. oven ( is there a chart to change F.* to heat regulations on your ovens?Help? Whatever you usually bake cakes on should work.) Bake 30 to 40 minutes- until cake springs back when lightly pressed down or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely and frost with fluffy white frosting.

Red Raspberry Faux Cheese Cake

The only baking you have to do is the graham cracker crust. It can be made the day before and refrigerated then unmolded and garnished just before serving. An easy dessert to make and well received at carry-in and church pot lucks.

Crust:
    2 packages graham crackersor 36 wafers - crushed fine
    2/3 cups melted butter
    1/3 cup sugar

Blend sugar and crumbs, stir in melted butter. Press firmly into 9 inch springform pan.Bake in preheated 350*F. oven (same temp you would use to bake a cake) for ( minutes.

Filling:
    2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
    1/2 cup cold water
    2 -10 ounce packages frozen raspberries- thawed
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    2- 8 ounce packages cream cheese
    1 cup heavy whipping cream- whipped
    1/2 cup whipping cream whipped for decoration

Soften gelatin in water, heat over low heat stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Cool. Crush the berries in in blender, add the lemon juice. Stir into gelatin.
    In blender combine softened cream cheese cut into cubes to sugar. Blend to combine then add berry mixture. Blend. Chill until slightly thick and fold in whipped cream. Pour into baked crust and refrigerate at least 12 hours.
    efore serving pipe decorative roseetes on top and garnish with fresh raspberries if available. This recipe serves 16 t0 18. You can halve this recipe and bake crust in regular pie tin to serve 8.

Strawberry Pie

This has to be one of the easiest recipes with nearly foolproof results. I used to take them to work. My co-workers loved them. Very pretty.

CRUST:
    1 1/2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup milk

Mix oil and milk together in a cup using a fork until oil is very tiny beads, stir in sugar, and mix well with fork. Measure flour into pie plate. Make well in center of flour. Pour liquid into well blend with fork until holds shape and all flour is mixed in. Press to line pie pan bottom and sides pinch edge to make decorative edge. Bake at 400*F. for 10 minutes or until browned.

Gel:
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    3 ounce package strawberry fruit gelatin mix (I use Jello)
    ! quart strawberries, rinsed and dried

In a sauce pan mix cornstarch and sugar together. Slowly stir in cold water. Bring to a boil- stirring. Continue to stir and boil until mixture is clear and slightly thickened. Add flavored gelatin and bring back to a boil, stirring until dissolved and thick. Cool to room temperature. While cooling, hull berries and set point side up in pie pan. If berries are too big cut to uniform height- not taller than pie crust. Pour gel evenly over berries in crust, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 2 hours, until set. Before serving pipe on some sweetened whipped cream rosettes and garnish with a few strawberry fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Just the thread I was hoping to see. Picked c. 1.5kilo of blackberries this morning as the local hedgegrows are brimful. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I thought a thread like this might be of interest to people like myself who are interested in foraging wild food. There is something of use growing wild nearly every month. I'm a novice but have some knowledge to share and hope to learn off others in the know.

I'll kick off with the recipe and method for Haw Jelly. Haws are the fruit of the Hawthorn and are abundant in Ireland at this time of year. Once you know how to identify them, you'll see them everywhere. I made jelly this weekend and after testing it on toast this morning, I'll be making many more batches.

Ingredients for two small jars:

300g haw berries
    500ml cold water
    400g granulated sugar heated (haws are high in pectin and should not need jam sugar to set)
    Juice of one lemon

Firstly, put a plate in the fridge to cool (used for testing the jelly)

Wash the berries and remove as much leaves and stalks as possible:

fm2wy8.jpg

Pulverise them (your bare hands will do...get all that stress out..)

fp2q6q.jpg

Add berries and water to pot and boil for 30 minutes, until reduced to a pulp

Strain all the juice out (the juice will look brownish at this stage but don't worry, it will improve)

Add the lemon juice and bring to the boil

Add the warm sugar (you can warm it in the microwave - bout 2 minutes should do)

Bring back to the boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Skim any scum from top.

2drcho1.jpg

To test if the jelly will set, put a little on the cold plate, put back in to the fridge for a minute and then check if it wrinkles when pushed with your finger. If not, boil for longer.

If it's ready, fill your sterilised jars and cover

30wqw04.jpg

Enjoy!

I'll be reviving this thread whenever I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

What a great idea for a thread
    I'm determined to make elderflower sparkling wine next year !

foodaholic wrote: »
    What a great idea for a thread
    I'm determined to make elderflower sparkling wine next year !

I made that this year - turned out superb. I'll post the photos....next June when they are in season :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

What does the haw jelly taste like or what is it similar to

fitzcoff wrote: »
    What does the haw jelly taste like or what is it similar to

It has a sweet delicate fruity flavour. You wouldn't confuse it with another berry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There are a few 'wild food' weeks in the IOTW schedule - see here.

It would probably make sense where the recipes match (Berries for instance) to merge with the existing threads so that posters have a single source for those recipes.

tHB

Advertisement