Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Ingredient of the Week 1: Berries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

livinsane wrote: »
    It has a sweet delicate fruity flavour. You wouldn't confuse it with another berry.
    What would you do with it? Is it used with meats, or is it the type of thing you'd lash on some toast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

There are a few 'wild food' weeks in the IOTW schedule - see here.

It would probably make sense where the recipes match (Berries for instance) to merge with the existing threads so that posters have a single source for those recipes.

tHB

I had forgotten at this stage that berries was the ingredient of the week a few weeks ago. Feel free to merge. Alot of recipies I'd hope to post would be centred around berries so I can just add to that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

kylith wrote: »
    What would you do with it? Is it used with meats, or is it the type of thing you'd lash on some toast?

Too sweet for meats (by my palatte anyway), just use as you would use jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

A tip on the type of environment in which to find the wild food in question would be good. Woodland, lush grass etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I've been lucky enough to have very generous neighbours who have given us 2kgs of these bad boys! I froze them right away but I'd like to use them asap. I shall probably make some jam but am also wondering if anyone can recommend a recipe for a nice light raspberry mousse or something equally delish? Thanks! :)

jzzlfk.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Merkin I know you're looking for a recipe for mousse but if you have any raspberries left over you might like these brownies - they're amazing. Easy to make too http://www.kitchencomplements.ie/kc/Main/recipe.asp?iRecipeID=27

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi, this is a summer fruit mousse,bit i'm sure you can use all raspberrys,
    450g soft fruit
    15ml powdered gelatine
    15ml courflour
    2 eggs separated
    75g caster sugar
    150ml milk
    30ml grand marnier or cointreau
    300ml double cream

puree fruit in processor sieve to remove pips
    in small bowl put 45ml water and sprinkle over gelatine, leave to soak
    whisk cornflour, egg yolks, sugar and a little of the milk in a bowl till thick and pale,
    heat remaining milk in saucepan till just about boiling
    pour onto egg mixture stirring all the time
    return to pan and cook over a low heat, stirring until thickened
    remove from heat and stir in the softened gelatine
    transfer to large bowl, allow to cool slightly
    stir in the fruit puree and grand marnier,
    leave to cool until point of setting,
    whip up cream till it holds its shape
    fold into mousse
    put into serving dishes
    nice with some crisp biscuits or we make some tiny meringue with the left over egg whites

was watching great british food revival with Michel Roux Jr, he made a souffle with strawberrys, might work with raspberrys,
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/strawberry_souffl_with_51589
    it looked so lovely, but I have a fear of souffle, but might try this one, he made it look so easy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Great Autumn salad

INGREDIENTS
    1 bunch baby beetroot.
    About 200 grams of blackberries or blackcurrants.
    Half a small red onion, diced or very finely sliced.
    Tablespoon honey - local if you can find it (or caster sugar if you like)
    Beet leaves, Bay leaf or mint to garnish

Lightly scrub the beets, remove the leaves - they can be used as a garnish
    Boil the beets in lightly salted water

Rinse your blackberries
    Melt the honey down in about a tablespoon of water
    Gently warm the blackberries in the warmed honey-water until they start to release their colour and soften.

Don't stir the pan, just shake it to avoid crushing the fruit.

Add a little more water by the tablespoon if required, you are looking to create a very light syrup.

When the beets are cooked, drain them and slip the skins off as soon as they are cool enough to handle.

Slice into the beets into rings and arrange on a shallow plat.
    Sprinkle over the onions and season to taste.

Spoon over the fruits with a slotted spoon and reduce the syrup a little further.

Pour over the syrup and leave the dish to cool

Serve with cold game or pork, and maybe use the beet leaves as a garnish.
    And as I said before, it makes a great post Christmas accompaniment to turkey or ham.

A slight variation on the original - instead of water, I use Swedish vinegar - lingonberry and apple cider vinegar - available at Ikea - but it does demonstrate the colours you can expect.
    There are other fruit vinegars more available in Ireland.
    Experiment with what fruit you can grow or forage.

Enjoy!

Advertisement