Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laundry Q - neutralising spray ?

• 03-09-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

I am looking to see if there is such a thing as a neutralising spray for garments that accumulate sweat (perspiration...)

My shirts and Tshirts become wet under the arm pits with sweat during the day and I then put them in the laundry basket.

However I can only do laundry twice a week or so and I feel that by the time they get into the wash, the acids etc are damaging the colour and fabric of the garments.

I have seen special stain removing sprays but they are potent short term sprays to put on ten minutes before the laundry.

Is there such a thing as this kind of neutralising spray ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Jeepers I thought there must be something ....... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

This probably isn't very helpful but I've seen washing up powder that's odor neutralising, I think it was meant mainly for sports equipment or something. So I dunno about sprays but you could try something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you're stuck, rinse them out in shampoo, the detergent will start to break down the oils and bacteria in the sweat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i usually spray on some deodrant or perfume on the clothing items or spray perfume on some pot pourrie and leave it on your top overnight and it will come up smelling lovely.or you could always buy some febreeze and spray it on..

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If you're stuck, rinse them out in shampoo, the detergent will start to break down the oils and bacteria in the sweat.
    i usually spray on some deodrant or perfume on the clothing items or spray perfume on some pot pourrie and leave it on your top overnight and it will come up smelling lovely.or you could always buy some febreeze and spray it on..

Thanks guys ... it's not just the smell issue but the discolouration that the acids cause that bothers me .. I am surprised no one has come up with something to be honest. This must affect a lot of people.

I realise I can rinse them but that is a huge amount of trouble on a daily basis in a small apartment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

If you want to neutralise an acid, you need to add something alkaline to it. Why not get an empty spray bottle and make up a solution of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and water. Spray it on your sweaty patches. The baking powder is a mild alkali so should help neutralise the acid. It will leave white powdery marks when it dries but they should wash out easily. If it was me, I'd try it on an old tshirt first.

boogle wrote: »
    If you want to neutralise an acid, you need to add something alkaline to it. Why not get an empty spray bottle and make up a solution of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and water. Spray it on your sweaty patches. The baking powder is a mild alkali so should help neutralise the acid. It will leave white powdery marks when it dries but they should wash out easily. If it was me, I'd try it on an old tshirt first.

MMmm that's an interesting idea ... of course an alkali can also do the same damage for the opposite reason but if it is very weak then it might do the trick.

Tks Boogle :P

Advertisement