Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To build or to wait.....

Options
  • 03-09-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I was wondering if I may get your opinion... Apologies if this is not the right place.

I’m going to need a new PC and it’s going to be used only for photo work but will need to be able to handle image files in Photoshop of 300Mb – 800Mb… is it a wise move to purchase and build PC now when end of the October windows 8 will be out. Is it safer/better to wait for windows 8 and then put together components that are “Windows 8 Ready” ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hi guys, I was wondering if I may get your opinion... Apologies if this is not the right place.

I’m going to need a new PC and it’s going to be used only for photo work but will need to be able to handle image files in Photoshop of 300Mb – 800Mb… is it a wise move to purchase and build PC now when end of the October windows 8 will be out. Is it safer/better to wait for windows 8 and then put together components that are “Windows 8 Ready” ?

Windows 8 is a respin of Windows 7 with a tacked on touch interface & an app store. There won't be much change with drivers and plenty of people have been running the beta version on current gen hardware and older just fine....

The only thing I would buy before Windows 8 is released is Windows 7 if I was worried about Windows 8 potentially being rubbish....

For Hardware plan away :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

uberpixie wrote: »
    Windows 8 is a respin of Windows 7 with a tacked on touch interface & an app store. There won't be much change with drivers and plenty of people have been running the beta version on current gen hardware and older just fine....

The only thing I would buy before Windows 8 is released is Windows 7 if I was worried about Windows 8 potentially being rubbish....

For Hardware plan away :-)

Wait a bit and get a Win8 Pro Version. It allows users to downgrade their version to Vista and win 7 at will. The license will stay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Bingo481

With new software comes new bugs and driver conflicts etc has happened with every new release of an operating system. TBH, it would be the last excuse I would have for not building now. I never buy an o/s straight away, I would build now and wait for the Win8 to be patched and settled then just upgrade or buy it then if you like it.

With the price of DDR3 and the SSD's dropping in price I would build now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Thaks guys, Really appreciate your answers. Ok I’ll start planning new build , you convinced me! :D
    Current PC is 7 years old and on its last legs…

Advertisement