Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social: Fear the wobbliness of...Doctor Octobeers! (Saturday, 6th October)

Options
  • 03-09-2012 4:26pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The fist of modly power has been resolutely clenched. Democracy has been disregarded, dissent has been quashed (well, ignored), and a date mandated - this Saturday, 6th of October.

We're going for burgers at Bukowski's in the Shoreditch Boxpark, meeting there between 5:30 and 6. Bukowski's doesn't have a vegetarian option, but there is a Pie Minister next door that caters to those of a meat-dodging disposition. There is a contingency plan for CASE BOLLOX WEATHER, and that plan is Pizza East as suggested by LadyMayBelle, and a backup contingency known as Duke's Brew & BBQ. If you want to come for grub, please make sure you've given me your number so I can PM you in the event of venue changes.

Afterwards we'll do a bit of a bar tour of anywhere decent we can find, with a venue list including (but not limited to):
    As with food, ensure that you've PM'd me your details so I can let you know where we decide to go.

Original post below:
    Right, I've been overcome with a fit of democratic benevolence while thinking about the next Beers. Hence multi-option poll for you to choose what day(s) suit you.

I'm relatively easy about where we should go - given that we've got a fair few folks in East London, we could use this as an excuse to head for Shoreditch or thereabouts, for example. If you've got better ideas, post them up.

What day should we have the October Beers? 51 votes

Friday 5th
    0%
    Saturday 6th
    11%
    beer enigmaAwayindahilsPlayboy83stesilvervixen84Woolly_Jumper 6 votes
    Friday 12th
    15%
    AwayindahilsFyshenda1Playboy83stesilvervixen84OhThePenguinWoolly_Jumper 8 votes
    Saturday 13th
    5%
    Playboyshoutmansilvervixen84 3 votes
    Friday 19th
    9%
    Playboyphilologossilvervixen84Woolly_Jumperodriano 5 votes
    Saturday 20th
    11%
    ScarinaeAwayindahilsPlayboy83stesilvervixen84smelloween 6 votes
    Friday 26th
    23%
    ScarinaeAwayindahilsPlayboyphilologosFennyfluke83stesilvervixen84BluezarballsymchughReekwindWoolly_Jumper 12 votes
    Saturday 27th
    7%
    ScarinaeAwayindahilsPlayboyborabora 4 votes
    Other (post in thread)
    13%
    ScarinaeFyshenda1PlayboyJack B. BaddOhThePenguinWoolly_Jumper 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Most unlikely I could come, but I can recommend a pub round there: the Cock Tavern, in Mare Street, near Hackney Central station: http://www.yeahhackney.com/groups/hackney-beer-ale-drinkers/forum/topic/the-cock-tavern-e8/

Excellent array of ales, ciders, miscellaneous German beers etc., and they brew some of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Other (post in thread)
    Easy going at the moment as don't have any plans for October yet. But if you're coming east I can recommend:

BBQ from Duke's

Or Burgers from Lucky Chip at the Sebright Arms

Both also have a good selection of drinks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Other (post in thread)
    We could go to that burger place in the Shoreditch Boxpark (I think it's the Bukowski Grill?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Friday 26th
    any excuse to get bagels at 4am and i may just turn up to this one!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Other (post in thread)
    any excuse to get bagels at 4am and i may just turn up to this one!

Bagels at 4am? :confused:

I can't do the weekend of the 19th or 20th as I'm away for a family wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Fysh wrote: »
    Bagels at 4am? :confused:

i'm guessing he's referring to here:

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/beigel-bake-london

It never closes. The salt beef beigel from this place is one of the greatest creations on earth. I'm not coming unless we go here at some point.

Friday 26th
    i'm guessing he's referring to here:

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/beigel-bake-london

It never closes. The salt beef beigel from this place is one of the greatest creations on earth. I'm not coming unless we go here at some point.

yeah that's it. bagels and chocolate eclairs whenever you want. i just need to be within a 1 mile radius of the place and i'll go there. i vote it be the weekend before halloween then!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Other (post in thread)
    I'm not coming unless we go here at some point.

The currency of your promised attendance has been devalued by your repeated absence from the quiz night over the last month or so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Friday 26th
    12th/13th I'm in Spain, 27th I'm in Ireland, although now that I think about I could do Friday 26th in addition to what I voted for above.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Fysh wrote: »
    The currency of your promised attendance has been devalued by your repeated absence from the quiz night over the last month or so :P

Well you can expect it to strengthen again over the next six weeks, as I've cleared my schedule of all weddings/visiting relatives/massive global sporting events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Friday 26th
    Would love to be able to make it to this one - first timer! October 20th is a good weekend for me, but that might change, depending on going home at some point around then.

Other (post in thread)
    Hmm. I should've known that as soon as I said "I can't do the weekend of the 20th" that'd be the most popular day on the poll :P

The clenched fist of modly power is leaning heavily towards disregarding democracy and choosing the 6th of October anyway. We're going for burgers at Bukowski's in the Shoreditch Boxpark, meeting between 5:30 and 6.

Afterwards I vote that we do a bit of a bar tour of anywhere decent we can find. I'm still working on possible venues, but one place I insist we go is Howl At The Moon. Mason & Taylor looks like another good spot to hit, and they have a late-licence basement bar to boot. I'm open to other suggestions too, as I don't know the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Good stuff Fysh.

Funny, I was at the Boxpark yesterday and just thinking what a good spot it would be; opted for Pieminister and cider as opposed to Bukowski, but they are side by side. Would recommend people get there reasonable same time, as the seats are just free for all, so might be pushing and shoving to sit together! Great spot, live music too, fingers crossed it will be sunny!

Mason and Taylor is right around the corner and there are also a few interesting spots in and around Redchurch Street.

And transport wise, never fear! Its all very close to Liverpool Street and well served by night buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 wordisbond

Boxpark is very close to where I work. I also pass the Howl at the Moon on the way home every day.

Sounds good ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Friday 26th
    Having just checked my social calendar, October is looking pretty bad right now. Definitely can't do the weekend of the 6th or the 20th; probably won't be able to do the other dates

Other (post in thread)
    Ah lame, I’ll be in Ireland that weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Word o' warning on Bukowski's - there is barely any inside seating, and there are long bench-type tables outside but can get a bit mad. Also, might not be best suited for an evening in early October if it's a miserable day. Could be worth having an inside-based back-up in case it's a soft day.

Also, on a rating of 1 to MeatLiquor, I rate the burgers around a 6. They're too juicy so you end up a mess. But their chips are yum (although cooked in beef dripping so a no-go for vegetarians). I say Lucky Chip in the Sebright for a burger; or...dare I say it... a non-burger joint?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

As a back up, there is Pizza East across the road and a few other pub type foodie spots....

Other (post in thread)
    But their chips are yum (although cooked in beef dripping so a no-go for vegetarians)
    Oh dear… Well, they were very tasty chips :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Friday 26th
    Looks like the 20th is winning :)

• Advertisement

Other (post in thread)
    When will boards.ie learn? Democracy just doesn't work...

I'm otherwise occupied at a family wedding the weekend of the 20th, so I'll need a deputy to take care of texting folks re: change of venues, etc if you lot want to go ahead on that date.

In light of that, who's still on for the 6th? Shall we double up or just move it back to the 20th?

Friday 26th
    The Dear Leader has spoken. The 6 Oct is it. And there was much rejoicing

(Incidentally the 6 Oct is now the one weekend that I probably can do)

Other (post in thread)
    I've updated the first post, but details of the next social are below. Texts to anyone who's been foolishdiligent enough to give me their number will follow soon...

The fist of modly power has been resolutely clenched. Democracy has been disregarded, dissent has been quashed (well, ignored), and a date mandated - this Saturday, 6th of October.

We're going for burgers at Bukowski's in the Shoreditch Boxpark, meeting there between 5:30 and 6. Bukowski's doesn't have a vegetarian option, but there is a Pie Minister next door that caters to those of a meat-dodging disposition. There is a contingency plan for CASE BOLLOX WEATHER, and that plan is Pizza East as suggested by LadyMayBelle, and a backup contingency known as Duke's Brew & BBQ. If you want to come for grub, please make sure you've given me your number so I can PM you in the event of venue changes.

Afterwards we'll do a bit of a bar tour of anywhere decent we can find, with a venue list including (but not limited to):
    As with food, ensure that you've PM'd me your details so I can let you know where we decide to go.

Other (post in thread)
    Just to let you know and to avoid the 200m trek from Bukowski, Mason & Taylor has closed for a couple of weeks, it will be re-opening at the end of the month as a BrewDog Bar.

Hopefully I will be able to make this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

Other (post in thread)
    Boo icon9.png I can't make the 6th :( its my friends birthday! Hope its good though!

Friday 26th
    there's been ads on xfm all week about the dockers khaki challenge in shoreditch. so if anyone can change out of one pair of jeans into another in 10 seconds then you may as well try and get there early and try out your talents!
    have heard the ad hundreds of times this week but can't remember the prizes. may be a stick of rock or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Friday 26th
    sorry can't make it tonight. Have fun though ;)

Friday 26th
    Just to check-in and confirm that I should be there for food at least

Other (post in thread)
    Sorry couldn't make this one. Have an exam in just over a week and the guilt of not studying has finally gotten to me.

• Advertisement

Other (post in thread)
    On the off chance anyone wants to join us, we're in the Spreadeagle, on the corner of Shoreditch High Street and Old Street.

Advertisement