Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats & Guinea Pigs

• 03-09-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

I would love to get a cat/kitten but have two guinea pigs and I am concerned about my guinea pigs ending up as prey for a cat.... During the summer I have a rabbit run & they each get a couple of hours a day out in the grass - during the winter they have the run of the kitchen floor - usually at least 10 hours a day.

I had two dogs when I got the guinea pigs, initially they were extremely interested in them whereas now they are oblivious to them even when they are out in the run. Both animals do their own thing & take no notice of the other.

I think it would be asking for trouble bringing a cat into the situation - but if I raised a kitten mostly during the winter months in the house & let them get used to each other for a little while a day.

Anyone have cats & guinea pigs... Or is this a no-go area for a few years. I won't be getting more guinea pigs when these one die of old age.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've heard anecdotally about people having both piggies and cats and them getting on fine, but since I only have piggies and no cats, I can't really comment on that.

I think that if you're going to get a cat you should make sure your pigs are never unsupervised when they're out and about, or at least lock the cat out of your kitchen. It could be that everything would be fine, but it's in a cat's nature to chase little furries and you can't blame the cat for doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Personally I wouldn't have both I know people do but you'd have to be so careful about cage security and where they were kepts and most standard rabbit runs are too flimsy to be totally cat proof. I love cats but wouldn't trust any cat around a small animal or bird even if they were best pals.
    That's just me

Advertisement