Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boggy lawn turning black and sinking in places.

Options
  • 03-09-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All
    We have a 1/4 acre lawn that's always been fairly boggy in the winter but usually dried out during the summer. It's very heavy clay which has drained better in areas that I've dug over.
    I have always wanted to plough the lawn and lay mole piping (?) to aid drainage (it will drain into a farmers ditch behind our plot- we have his permission). OH has always resisted paying a fortune for drainage, however........It has now reached the stage where he cannot even put the lawn mover onto the ground much less try to mow anything. The reeds are coming up everywhere now rather than just in a few places. Many areas of grass have become black and the ground seems to be sinking in places.

I have suggested that we roundup everything in the spring (after I've moved shrubs and trees!) plough tonnes of sharp sand into the area, lay mole piping, level and reseed.

Any better suggestions and any idea of how much sharp sand we're likely to need on i/4 acre. We may as well do the whole thing properly once and for all! All suggestions will be greatfully received.
    Many Thanks
    Moira

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi any photos, jack

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Chatterboxmoira

I knew I should have uploaded pictures......

You should get an idea of the lawn size in the first photo. The tree in the foreground of the first photo is a flowering cherry thats been in the ground for 10 years- give you an idea of how rubbish the soil is!!!! I've included some distance and close up shots of the same bits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you want to keep the lawn?
    might be easier to adapt to the circumstances rather than trying to make the circumstances adapt to you...

Magicbastarder, I've been adapting to the situation for 7 years and it's just getting worse. Can't walk on the lawn cos it's too wet, definately can't let kids play football on it. It has reached the stage where I need to do something drastic once and for all- especially as OH has come round to the idea of spending money. I'm expecting it to cost a few grand but the way I look at it is there's no point having a huge garden if you can't enjoy/use most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The last photo is the clincher for me. I think you have no option but to go for a major drainage job :( with some considerable improvement to the soil - sharp sand etc - as you've already said. Unfortunately I have no experience of such a large scale job - you may need to get professional advice.

I understand magicb's question about whether you want to keep the lawn in the long term or whether it would be preferable to plant certain trees, shrubs etc.
    A relative of mine has a similar patch of very heavy clay - normally rock hard in summer and very wet in winter but she doesnt have the option of major drainage work and instead has planted willows, dogwoods etc.

I'd be inclined to drain,,,,, finance permitting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Moira,

I'm jealous of that massive garden you have.
    Any interest in growing fruit and veg? Here's a link with prices of polytunnels.

Seeing as you've plenty of space.

This would leave you with a smaller, more manageable piece of lawn to deal with. Your lawn will need lots of compost and soil conditioner, if it's heavy clay, which doesn't drain very well.

Personally, I feel that a lawn doesn't offer a lot, especially in this wet country. You would get more joy from a greenhouse/ polytunnel. You could have a couple of outside raised beds (not in the tunnel) too.

I'm guessing your house is at a low altitude, judging by the reeds, which grow in marshy areas?

Thanks all for your responses so far.

Joseph, we are medium altitude, about 550ft, but all around is clay so it takes forever for water to drain. I already grow veg and have a greenhouse at the back of the house. The whole plot is 0.6 acre with the house just off centre. The lawn in the photo's is to the east of the plot. I have a smaller lawn to the west that slopes slightly downhill that isn't so bad.

Here's an old photo of the plot, it doesn't show the greenhouse and veg patch.

The problem area is the lawn of the right of the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The problem area is the lawn of the right of the photo.
    1st thought that came to mind was; is there a ditch between your land, and the field to the top of that photo, and does the land slope from the field to the road? I ask as I'm thinking all the water is draining from the field across your land.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It looks like there was some kind of drain already installed in that lawn, judging from the aerial pic.
    You can see it in the bottom right of the lawn from 4 O'clock to 10 O'clock
    It looks like it meets up with a drain flowing straight down the centre of the lawn.
    It could be a case that there is already drains there and they have blocked.

the_syco wrote: »
    1st thought that came to mind was; is there a ditch between your land, and the field to the top of that photo, and does the land slope from the field to the road? I ask as I'm thinking all the water is draining from the field across your land.

The field is lower than my land, there is a 6 foot drop into a ditch where my land meets the field. Don't know why my land is higher but house is 120 years old so the reasoning behind the difference is lost in time. The lawns are on ground that is very compacted and not been cultivated for decades, if at all.

There is a house on the east side of my plot (right of photo). Water drains from there. Not usually been such a big problem. Land slopes from east to west. It is flat from north to south with a gentle slope running southwards down the drive to the road. Another house is to the west of my plot. Their land is lower than mine. I know that I should run drainage with the natural lie of the land but I am not sending water down to them.

We have been told that there are watercourses running through the land. Don't know if this is true, but if it is then a proper drainage system would definately help.

My idea is to run a long drainage ditch down that right hand side with perforated pipes running into it. This ditch will also catch water coming from next door. The ditch will feed into the ditch in the field at the back.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It looks like there was some kind of drain already installed in that lawn, judging from the aerial pic.
    You can see it in the bottom right of the lawn from 4 O'clock to 10 O'clock
    It looks like it meets up with a drain flowing straight down the centre of the lawn.
    It could be a case that there is already drains there and they have blocked.

I never noticed that before. Will go out with something to poke into the ground tomorrow and see if I can locate any drains.

Well, I checked the lawn and can find no evidance of existing drains. Back to plan A methinks....

Advertisement