Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protection money.

• 03-09-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭

How prevalent is protection money for businesses around the country does anybody know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah right. I'm not falling for that one Sergeant Murphy.

Yours racketeeringly,

Knuckles McFisty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Johnny Tighlips aint sayin' nothin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

You'll have to pay me €1,000,000,000 to find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I haven't ever heard of anyone ever having to pay protection money. Only if you were in a dodgy business might you be forced to pay that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

it happens but not common at all except in areas where gangs are known to 'control'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Send an FOI to revenue to find out whos in the protection business. Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Was there not an Italian chipper owner who was paying huge sums every week to the RIRA not to long ago ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I heard a story, 2 people of the foreign kind went into the Blue loin (of all places), they start talking to the barman about protection money.

The barman said you will have to talk to the owner who will be in a 3, so call back then.

They did, the door was locked behind them and then they were found moaning in a skip and then taken to the A&E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

kneemos wrote: »
    How prevalent is protection money for businesses around the country does anybody know?
    Thinking of starting up,kneemos??

There is probably a FAS course and a possible SME start up grant for baseball bats and knuckle dusters.

• Advertisement

Ronin247 wrote: »

There is probably a FAS course and a possible SME start up grant for baseball bats and knuckle dusters.

Doubt it, They might be useful :)

Hey mister do yah wan us to look after your car

No the dog in the back seat will keep it safe

Can your dog put out fires. (I can't remember the play I heard that in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Thinking of starting up,kneemos??

Yeah I was thinking about a franchise business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

you should probably wait till you're a made man before you get ahead of yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Drug trafficking is about as organized that crime gets here. The only racketeering done is usually up north by paramilitaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Happens in alot of estates here in the north - to private home owners I mean.

Probably businesses aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You should co-opt a familiar franchise name to make it seem more homely:

Mace
    FaceCutters
    SuperCracks(across the head if you don't pay us)
    Lidl(Did ya know you'd be paying us for the rest of your life)
    Aldi(money you owe us)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Colmustard wrote: »
    I heard a story, 2 people of the foreign kind went into the Parnell Mooney (of all places), they start talking to the barman about protection money.

The barman said you will have to talk to the owner who will be in a 3, so call back then.

They did, the door was locked behind them and then they were found moaning in a skip and then taken to the A&E.
    I reckon the story you're talking about actually refers to the Blue Lion when 2 Nigerians made that stupid mistake and a trail of blood was left on the pavement after the gang of well known criminals showed them the error of their ways. (I was living a few doors up the street at the time)

The most public protection racket run is by 14 year olds on big days in Croke Park. It will cost between 5 and 10 Euro to have you car protect against damage but excludes clamping.

See on the news one of the top RIRA men who were/are big into protection rackets was shot dead this afternoon in Dublin ????

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0903/man-critically-injured-in-dublin-shooting.html

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    I reckon the story you're talking about actually refers to the Blue Lion when 2 Nigerians made that stupid mistake and a trail of blood was left on the pavement after the gang of well known criminals showed them the rror of their ways. (I was living a few doors up the street at the time)

It probably is, I heard it a few times about different pubs.

The unions :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

A chipper was burned out in the north east last year for refusing to pay protection money, maybe it's more common the closer you get to the border?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Drug trafficking is about as organized that crime gets here. The only racketeering done is usually up north by paramilitaries.

Nope, plenty of rackets going on especially RIRA ones for pubs, drugs and bouncers. The shooting today was very likely connected to the gang from Dublin 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

realies wrote: »
    See on the news one of the top RIRA men who were/are big into protection rackets was shot dead this afternoon in Dublin ????

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0903/man-critically-injured-in-dublin-shooting.html
    If that's who they say it is then the sh!t has hit the fan so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

There's a pub down in Fairview which is always getting burnt out cos they allegedly won't pay protection money to the IRA.

I forget the name but I'm sure someone will remember

Nope, plenty of rackets going on especially RIRA ones for pubs, drugs and bouncers. The shooting today was very likely connected to the gang from Dublin 13.

I thought they only operated rackets up north ?

I would have thought old schoolers like Martin Foley from Crumlin or inner city gangs would've stepped on those rackets locally.

If that's who they say it is then the sh!t has hit the fan so to speak.

It is him. And as you said there could be some kick back from this depending on who gets the blame for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

There's a pub down in Fairview which is always getting burnt out cos they allegedly won't pay protection money to the IRA.

I forget the name but I'm sure someone will remember

The Players Lounge?!

• Advertisement

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    The Players Lounge?!
    Hahaha

I really doubt they were burned down for not paying protection money to the RIRA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I don't know about businesses, but the government is in the process of implementing a protection racket over every house in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Was there not an Italian chipper owner who was paying huge sums every week to the RIRA not to long ago ?

Haven't the RIRA came out and said he was a member but acting for personal benifit. Expelled and think there was something in the paper recently that now he keeps getting into **** in prison and had to be separated.

It is him. And as you said there could be some kick back from this depending on who gets the blame for it.

Someone explain "him" I'm too intrigued now. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Kelly Security in Limerick

If you sign up you get a sign to put up in your window and that means a lot to the local ne'er do wells.

If you change your mind and don't want to pay anymore you get several little kids in your shops robbing your stock and running out the door.
    Happened to a sports shop on William St

Max Steele wrote: »

Monday September 03 2012

A leading terror figure has been killed and an associate injured in a gangland-style gun attack in north Dublin.
    The victim, named locally as Alan Ryan, has several previous convictions and is known by detectives for his links with the Real IRA (RIRA).
    The 32-year-old was notorious for racketeering - extorting cash from drug dealers and businessmen across the city and demanding protection money from firms.
    He was previously convicted of taking part in a RIRA weapons training camp in Meath in 2001 and served time for possession of a firearm in a separate incident.
    A Garda source said: "He was very dangerous. He won't be missed. Anyone could have done this. Even one of his own."
    The daylight shooting happened in the Grange Lodge estate in Clongriffin.
    Ryan was shot in the head near his home and was rushed to Beaumont hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The second man was shot in the leg.
    A burnt-out car was discovered a short time later on Hole in the Wall Road and both scenes have been sealed off pending a forensic technical examination.
    Gardai have appealed for witnesses to come forward.
    Ryan was due to go on trial - along with three other men - for threatening a city-centre publican and making him cease trading within 24 hours.He is the one the media always said was part of one of three brothers of a gang from donaghmede.

http://www.herald.ie/breaking-news/national-news/terror-figure-killed-in-gun-attack-3217793.html

• Advertisement

Monday September 03 2012

A leading terror figure has been killed and an associate injured in a gangland-style gun attack in north Dublin.
    The victim, named locally as Alan Ryan, has several previous convictions and is known by detectives for his links with the Real IRA (RIRA).
    The 32-year-old was notorious for racketeering - extorting cash from drug dealers and businessmen across the city and demanding protection money from firms.

He was previously convicted of taking part in a RIRA weapons training camp in Meath in 2001 and served time for possession of a firearm in a separate incident.
    A Garda source said: "He was very dangerous. He won't be missed. Anyone could have done this. Even one of his own."
    The daylight shooting happened in the Grange Lodge estate in Clongriffin.
    Ryan was shot in the head near his home and was rushed to Beaumont hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The second man was shot in the leg.
    A burnt-out car was discovered a short time later on Hole in the Wall Road and both scenes have been sealed off pending a forensic technical examination.
    Gardai have appealed for witnesses to come forward.
    Ryan was due to go on trial - along with three other men - for threatening a city-centre publican and making him cease trading within 24 hours.

Thread over, so it does go on in Dublin.

Colmustard wrote: »
    Thread over, so it does go on in Dublin.
    The hearld is a complete rag, I wouldnt even trust it for the date.

Thats not to say that it doesnt happen, but the herald hardly constitutes irrefutable proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Max Steele wrote: »

Monday September 03 2012

Ryan was shot in the head near his home and was rushed to Beaumont hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The ambulance should have taken its time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Just get yourself a handy Umberella Katana, then kapow-bosh, you can show those guys a thing or two when they come calling for their pro-dough. Watch out the lads from SWAT don't spot you though, or you're screwed.

The herald is a complete rag, I wouldn't even trust it for the date.

That's not to say that it doesn't happen, but the herald hardly constitutes irrefutable proof

Very true about the herald,But re the protection rackets they are going on in some parts of Dublin for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I reckon the story you're talking about actually refers to the Blue Lion when 2 Nigerians made that stupid mistake and a trail of blood was left on the pavement after the gang of well known criminals showed them the error of their ways. (I was living a few doors up the street at the time)

I heard about this before,was that pub on Parnell St. ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    I heard about this before,was that pub on Parnell St. ?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    A friend was dining in a small restaurant, not very far from the Garda HQ, when a hard-looking character walked in, went up to the owner, who was clearly expecting him and looked terrified. The owner handed over an envelope and the toerag left. Neither said a word and the owner collapsed in a heap as soon as the guy had gone. Every Garda in Dublin knows the pubs and shops where "protection" is allegedly ongoing, as does every bouncer and doorman.

regards
    Stovepipe

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Drug trafficking is about as organized that crime gets here. .............

Prostitution, counterfeit goods, diesel laundering.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RoverJames wrote: »
    Prostitution, counterfeit goods, diesel laundering.....

Blue collar,don't forget those c..ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

This looks like it could have been a protection money job!

Blue collar,don't forget those c..ts.

Blue collar crime albeit as serious is in a different bracket,Protection rackets usually come in the form of an extortion scheme whereby a criminal group or individual coerces a victim (usually a business) to pay money, supposedly for protection services against violence or property damage. Racketeers coerce reticent potential victims into buying "protection" by demonstrating what will happen if they don't—they damage the victims' property. In most cases, the racketeers do not actually protect their client from anything but the racketeers themselves, and their "protection" is merely extortion. However, if their victim is seriously threatened by a third party, sometimes gangsters will protect their source of revenue. some of this from wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Hahaha

I really doubt they were burned down for not paying protection money to the RIRA

Why not bro? That's the word on the street.

How much protection money do you pay the mods, its not fair, don't they realise times are hard.

Why not bro? That's the word on the street.

The word on the street is that the Players lounge is well :connected: to the 32 sovereignty movement which is well connected to the RIRA.;););)

• Advertisement
Advertisement