Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

music photography manners

• 03-09-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭

being doing the music photography a couple of years , keep threatening to retire (broke) - but a few years ago there used to be unwritten rules , pay other snappers a little (small) bit of respect - but this year at electric Picnic , noticed this new habit emerged of raising the camera stretched above head at front of the stage and staying there, a basic feck off to all other photographers - spoke to a few other photographers (ones i respect and good too) and they too are rightly pissed off - is my anger going to over react again ? or just move on ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

id be pissed off too, how do they get decent photos doing that tho???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was at rammstein a few months back, and at one point they sprayed the audience from a hose.
    it was the best part of the night, because all the smartphones and compact cameras immediately disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Doesnt suprise me Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

thebaz wrote: »
    being doing the music photography a couple of years , keep threatening to retire (broke) - but a few years ago there used to be unwritten rules , pay other snappers a little (small) bit of respect - but this year at electric Picnic , noticed this new habit emerged of raising the camera stretched above head at front of the stage and staying there, a basic feck off to all other photographers - spoke to a few other photographers (ones i respect and good too) and they too are rightly pissed off - is my anger going to over react again ? or just move on ?

Do you mean from the photography pit or the crowd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

Hi Barry,

I was down at EP shooting this year as well, must have said hi to you at some stage. I have not been around for the last few years and I really have to agree with you. There were alot more photographers in the Pit and I was amazed to see some were even using flash!!!

The number of them lifting as you said was incredible. Some people were holding there camera in the air for teh full three songs. Not only were they blocking people behind but how could they have gotten good shots. This was mostly at the main stage but I also saw it on the smaller stages where they were effectively pushing a camera lens into the face of the lead singer!!! I saw some people doing this with Flash which mush surely have annoyed the band.

I know that alot more people are taking photos for websites and this may have been their first gig. Perhaps this could partially explain things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Why not mention it to them? If it was their first gig maybe they'd appreciate the guidance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ok, I don't shoot gigs at all, but I know in the sport area, if someone is continuously getting in the way, or doing something inappropriate, someone will say something to them.

I've told other photographers to get out of my way a few times. Sure, get in, get your shots, then move out to let another photographer in.

Some people need to learn manners the hard way ... a tap of a monopod across the ankles, the smack of a 70-200mm lens on the back of the head ... or similar. :-) Happened to me too when I started. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

On occasion I did nudge some people out of the way, hoping they would get the hint.

I always try and have a chat with other photographers during the day and most are extremely friendly but I did notice that a number of the photographers this year were not as chatty as in the past. Perhaps some of them may have been intimidated with so many other photographers around and did not want to give the impression that they did not belong. They probably would have gotten alot more out of the weekend if they had asked a few questions and maybe a bit of C&C.

That being said I do remember a few years ago there were "Press photographers" at Oxegen and EP using iPhones, I guess that may have upgraded to iPads now :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Splinters wrote: »
    Do you mean from the photography pit or the crowd?

it was the pit - there was one guy in particular that was bad , I have seen him doing more & more recently - does it again , words will definitly be exchanged

That being said I do remember a few years ago there were "Press photographers" at Oxegen and EP using iPhones, I guess that may have upgraded to iPads now :-)

I tried taking a few with an iphone from the pit as an experiment, and they came out disasterously :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

it was the pit - there was one guy in particular that was bad , I have seen him doing more & more recently - does it again , words will definitly be exchanged

Thats pretty bad form alright. Maybe as Im relatively new to getting press/media passes (only the last 12 months or so) but because I was so nervous about treading on anybodys toes or appearing out of place I made a point of reading up on the do's and dont's of pit etiquette. To be fair its mostly cop on and common courtesy and for anything beyond that theres all manner of articles, blogs etc that explain it all. Very unfortunate to hear people arent sticking to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I know that alot more people are taking photos for websites and this may have been their first gig. Perhaps this could partially explain things.

I dabbled with getting a few photo passes the last 2 years (applied very few and far between) and sorta found the whole thing frustrating by how cramped and cliquey people in pits could be so it put me off wanting to progress from getting the shots you tend to see me post online from busy crowds.

At events like EP it's a pity that photo passes aren't limited to competent togs with a good repertoire*. I'm would love to do a festival like EP but I love being a punter at that festival too much so I won't put my name in the hat if I get the chance. But seeing people with the passes submitting and having work online that is out of focus while using top end kit has me banging my head off the wall in frustration. I saw some people in pits over the weekend who I wouldn't rate much or think they are worthy of the pass.

*I'm not trying to say I consider myself a competent photographer worthy of a pass with that line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Innisfallen

Two people were doing it a lot, I (and at least one other photographer) asked one of them politely more than once to stop...if someone is getting in your way (especially with the camera over their head rubbish), say something to them.

People are supposed to be aware about what is going on around them, don't get in other peoples shots, move around, don't get in security's way, and don't wreck things for those who paid in.

People are supposed to be aware about what is going on around them, don't get in other peoples shots, move around, don't get in security's way, and don't wreck things for those who paid in.

agree 100 % - does it again , if I do it again [ words will be exchanged for sure

Advertisement