Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obsession with English Football in Ireland - Insightful?

• 03-09-2012 6:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

and no, I am not a Bogball or an LOI head - but if I was into football I would support my nearest LOI club. Not into watching any sports.

What amazes me is these "emotions" Irish people have for the English clubs on da telly - even small clubs like Oxford United. I can't decide if it is some homoerotic Freudian repression, or infantilism.

Either way, it has fecked up our pubs.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if I followed competetive flower arranging I'd follow what I thought to be the best competetive flower arranging league not whichever one happened to be happening in the town I live in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I don't get why people have any liking for football anyway, it's boring as hell to watch. But if you're going to watch it you might as well watch the best teams and the best teams are elsewhere in the world, not in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

English premiership football is about as English as a lamb Balti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not the pubs with no TV it hasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't get why people have any liking for football anyway, it's boring as hell to watch. But if you're going to watch it you might as well watch the best teams and the best teams are elsewhere in the world, not in Ireland.

I dont get why people have any liking for whatever you like. It's boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I dont get why people have any liking for whatever you like. It's boring.

Did you see that nill-all game on saturday the blue team ALMOST scored :eek: riveting.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I can see the headlines now:

People Don't All Like the Same Thing SHOCKER!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

their just better than the Irish shiite, even at the lower levels, while im fat, 4ft 6in, bald, if my team is winning I think I am the dogs bolllocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

and no, I am not a Bogball or an LOI head - but if I was into football I would support my nearest LOI club. Not into watching any sports.

What amazes me is these "emotions" Irish people have for the English clubs on da telly - even small clubs like Oxford United. I can't decide if it is some homoerotic Freudian repression, or infantilism.

You might be on to something there, it's an interesting theory.

Or the LOI is just ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

if I followed competetive flower arranging I'd follow what I thought to be the best competetive flower arranging league not whichever one happened to be happening in the town I live in

Not surprised, Carlow are useless at flower arranging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

And why do people watch American tv series here? We're not America...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

If only stovelid was alive today to participate in this thread... :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mostly due to marketing. Also a lot easier to follow a EPL team then a LOI team who generally get little to no coverage.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

So just dont bother going into pubs that show football. Or go in when there is no match on.
    Why should you judge people for what they enjoy??? Or what team they support - Do you know why I am an Manchester United fan? No. So enough with the judgmental, condescending sh ite.

This is on a par with me going into the TV forum, and bitching and moaning about people watching Eastenders or Coronation Street instead of Fair City or Ros na Rún.
    I don't, because I don't enjoy soaps, nor do I have an opinion on those that do. And I absolutely respect peoples right to do it without having to listen to bullshiite from me about it.

You should try it.

Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football
    Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football

If only stovelid was alive today to participate in this thread... :(

What happened him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What happened him?

Closed his account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

English premiership football is about as English as a lamb Balti.

Balti is believed to have originated in Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sounds like the coffee break chat at one job I worked at. Unless you sat with the girls. Big Brother Big Brother Big Brother Big Brother..........

I wonder if they've noticed I left...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Its so sad. mon the bohs!!!!!

• Advertisement

Gyalist wrote: »
    Balti is believed to have originated in Birmingham.

Serious? Okay then... Vindaloo?
    endacl wrote: »
    Sounds like the coffee break chat at one job I worked at. Unless you sat with the girls. Big Brother Big Brother Big Brother Big Brother..........

I wonder if they've noticed I left...?

I like watching a good game of football but I can't stand the incessant football yap that people seem to get so much out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

It definitely homoerotic.

LOI is shyte, so is the premiership, but its higher quality shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Every time I hear an Irish person refer to Manchester United, Liverpool etc as "us" or "we" I think of this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Its so sad. mon the bohs!!!!!

Why you called EdenHazard then?! Change your name to Gary Twigg or something.

I have followed an English premiership team religiously for over 20 years and I fooking love it! Also many Irish connections with certain teams too. From owners to players to managers.

You think every LOI player would turn down the premiership to go play down in Athlone next week?! Seriously doubt it. No offence Athlone!

Atthe same time it's still good to see some hardcore LOI fans.

One thing that does bug me is when Irish fans refer to players/teams as Mancs, Cockneys etc.. Over stepping it a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I'm not going to get into the whole 'soccer is shite' thing because that's all opinion but the OP does raise a fair point as to how people become so emotionally attached to a club called Manchester, or Liverpool or whatever despite having no connection to those places, people from those places or the people in the team. It would seem that the people in the team rarely have any connection to those places either.
    If it really is about seeing the best teams money can buy then why doesnt everybody just support the best team? Why not just change your favourite team every year, why stick to Man City or whoever til you die.
    Perhaps its just me but without any emotional investment in the outcome i find sports like soccer to be just a bunch of spoiled millionaires having a kickabout like kids in the park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Not into watching any sports.

And that, OP, is why you will never understand just what it is like to be passionate about sport, regardless of where the team or players are from.

And neither I, nor anyone else hear will be able to fill that unfortunate void in your life. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Lapin wrote: »
    And neither I, nor anyone else hear will be able to fill that unfortunate void in your life. :(

Jesus, you'd swear the OP was missing a limb for having no interest in sport. It's not unfortunate at all, it's a relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Do you support your local céili band?

Me, it's 2012, I'll watch whatever sport I want, and listen to whatever music I want. I'm not going to be limited by national borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Lapin wrote: »
    And that, OP, is why you will never understand just what it is like to be passionate about sport, regardless of where the team or players are from.

I think the problem is that sports, and especially football culture is so dominant and it's fans so domineering that to not have the same passion means you're looked down on in some way.

We studied this a bit in college, and there are loads of people, in fact it's very rare for someone not to identify with or be such a fan of something that imparts to their life. The problem is that people become fans of different things, and no-one thing is greater than the other.

I know a lot of nerds and I can be nerdy myself and you'd often find nerds insulting football fans for their "stupid" passion. But I know loads of people who if their childhoods were a little different they'd be as nerdy about football, rugby or hurling as they are about computer games. And similar you have guys who know everyone intricate detail about the entirety of last season's EPL games who if their circumstances were different would be able to tell you all about French cinema.

If someone likes something, let them like it. Just be damn good at liking what you like (or be good at liking a little about a lot of things.) Basically, don't be some bore who only talks about football, or computer games, or anything else and if you do be ****ing impressive at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Ireland has such a small population that it should be fielding four soccer teams, probably competing in a joint league with the Scottish. The same resources amongst four teams would probably give us a representative in the Champion's League most years. People might become more interested then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

erm ..I don't watch football...i don't know anything about it ..i am a girl..

But i would imagine it's because their players put on a superior game and skill level and that makes it more interesting and exciting to watch?

And most players seem to be from Spain or somewhere.

And i have seen people support Barcelona or madrid.

Would it bother you if they supported Spanish teams???

Because the Irish teams don't play anything ....or very well...

I would cheer them on if i saw them playing in their little back garden..

But really when it comes to hurling who would a fan watch the all Ireland or some tiny amatuer team in London...maybe both..but you get my drift..

It is because they are professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I blame M.O.T.D

di di di diiiiiiiii di di di di di ..........

nah its just cause england have world class teams, wheras the irish ones are part time and pack shelves in tescos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

What amazes me is these "emotions" Irish people have for the English clubs on da telly - even small clubs like Oxford United.

Yeah, Around here you can't move for Oxford United 'fans'. :rolleyes:

If anyone is getting emotional about Oxford United matches, it is probably part of their accumulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

I've a mate, a Man United fan - typical 'we' and 'us' slave to the Sky League. Goes to the pub to watch MU and when they score he often shouts out 'Yoo-noy-tsed' (United) in some sort of weird Manc/Cockney-hybrid accent. Cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I watch it and shout , but I am from London ( and support Chelsea ) , followed them home and away for many years.

However this comes to a head when England are playing , I got a terrible ( Racist ) slagging from a guy watching an England game , the funny part .... he was wearing a Man U shirt !!! He could not see the irony .

I have also been to many LOI games since living here BTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Oh dear. What a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Mostly due to marketing. Also a lot easier to follow a EPL team then a LOI team who generally get little to no coverage.

And television - the drug of the sports-mad nation.

It's no coincidence crowds used to be much, much higher at Irish league clubs in NI up until the late-60s. I presume it was the same in the Republic.

Then top flight English football appeared regularly on TV - local clubs simply couldn't compete with the "glamour" of the big clubs in England and Glasgow's Old Firm.

Irish soccer north and south lives with the consequences to this day.

It's the way of the world, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Soccer forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement