Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exemption from Irish for the Leaving

• 03-09-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering what would the situation for getting an exemption from Irish for your Leaving Cert be? I am obliged by my rights to be exempted from Irish as I am deaf, became deaf at 9 months old, and my mam was talking to a lady about it and she said that the DOE went absolutely mental over a number of students who wanted to drop Irish for the Leaving Cert. Why? Because they were studying French too. I was wondering would that affect it in any way? I need an international language to go to University of Limerick..

Currently in my 6th Year, Leaving Cert Year and I am extremely terrible at Irish, not my best area of knowledge to be honest. I am doing honours in everything else except Irish and I wouldn't be counting it as my top six subjects. I think that if I drop it, I would get a much better result in other subjects.

Thanks,
    Jamie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Hey there Jamie, I'm deaf myself and I dropped Irish way back in the JC and I'm just like you, couldn't hack the language. The DOE are always complaining about students dropping this and that, look what happened last year when they introduced the extra 25 points for higher maths and now it sky rocket every course to do with maths in the CAO.

I suggest you drop Irish as soon as you can to relieve your stress and focus more on just learning French as a language and other subjects. I am also doing my L.C in 2013 and I do 6 subjects but no langauges.

Advertisement